1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The EV Project - Nissan Leaf / DOE

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by mitch672, Mar 31, 2010.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV Project » Overview

worth taking a look at for all of you lucky b------s who live in the Western US, you are getting the benefit of $100M to deploy a massive number of EV charging stations in the Western US

It would certainly make sense to seriously consider the Nissan Leaf no matter where you live, but it especially makes sesne out west, with the large infrastructure deployment of EV chargers. They appear to be trying to work out the logistics of how the electricty used will be billed, etc.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems like a big leap from Tennessee to Arizona!

Too bad they are not deploying any in Colorado :(

3. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they want to do all of the testing in mostly warm climates - it puts the best possible picture of EV's out, as colder tempatures will affect the batteries ability to hold a charge, and the recharge time as well, this is probably why they choose to not test in Colorado, MN, MA, NY, AK etc.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure is has to do with at least 3 things:

Lower cost of labor in TN: They are banking their future on the battery plant, and that is going to be in TN

Lower cost of doing business: California is very expensive to mfr cars in, and an expensive place to buy land for a new plant, plus all of the government regulations, etc.

Dead wood: I'm sure they viewed it as an opportunity to get rid of some employees, as not everyone made the move, and they will likely be replaced by lower cost labor locally in TN

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, also that but it also puts them closer to their existing plants and suppliers to those plants. See Nissan in North America - Nissan USA. Nissan's plant at Smyrna, TN has been open since 1983 and they've been best known for making the Altima there but more models have been added over time.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm just glad that at least SOME states, including western states get a crack at the Leaf. Oh, wait ... I'M in the west!

:pound:

Is it any wonder the OP called us b------s ??

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee, i thought the areas chosen seem to have connections to hydro...Pac Northwest, Arizona and Tennessee then Cali only because it already has a large base of EV enthusiasts along with a bunch of charging stations already.

dont really know much about tennessee, but isnt the TVA (tennessee valley authority) another major hydroelectric producer?

like all areas where the base load is hydroelectric, the big problems come when trying to manage power output during off peak periods. this makes a large number of EV charging during off peak hours a near perfect marriage of convenience.

10. bojanwish

bojanwish New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    V
    is the charging stations problem?