1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The First 3/4 Quart Burns Fast, Then Almost Stops at 1/4?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ebikeman, Feb 26, 2024.

1. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As we know, these cars burn oil after you get high miles. Mine, when it's at the full line, it burns it quite fast. When it gets to 3/4 low (1/4 above the low line) it stops burning oil.

I was going to wait till it got to the low line to ad a full quart, but it never gets there. I don't like driving almost a quart low.

What is it about these motors that it burns 3/4 quart fast, then almost stops just above the low line?

Thank you,
    ebm

2. spdracrm3

spdracrm3 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your not overfilling it are you? Only 3.8 qts at oil change(dipstick read correct?). Will definitely burn if overfilled
    Got lucky with mine with 166k does not burn any oil, still not with 210k now.

SM-G960U ?

3. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Consider keeping the line at halfway between the marks and see what happens. I am a little compulsive about keeping it at the full line but am finding that the middle of the marks also works.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Depends when you're checking these things too usually you want to stop go in the house do your business wait 10-15 minutes before you check the oil makes a big difference You don't need to be at the full mark You need to be between the low mark and the full mark on the cross hatch. I don't think it's these engines I have a few of these that are burning oil and they burn it right down to the low mark I don't it takes about whole 4,000 mi something like that It's actually seemingly more stops and starts you make but I noticed around $4,000 mi I'm almost down to the low Mart which is what a quart and a half or I'm not even real sure anymore and I try to bring it up almost to the full mark if I'm a millimeter below it or so no problem I don't feel it until it goes full as long as I'm well within the crosshatch I'm good and most of these one NZ engines are good right there.

5. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a 150,000 on mine. I can't imagine what it will be like at 250,000? Put oil in every trip to the store?