1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the first pipe must kidding me !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Abdullah Jordan, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Abdullah Jordan

Abdullah Jordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hello there ;

since iam new prius driver i had to ask you my dears :) , i read here that the first pipe should go after 100 mile or so , 2 days ago , i went to gas station and i filled the tank and i reset the consumption , the gas gun stopped by it self , so i guess the tank is full right ? , anyway , my first pipe gone after only 35 mile :( , the strange thing is my MPG is great ! please see the pics , anyone saw something like this guys ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is incorrect information.

When the first pip disappears is determined by your fuel economy during the first park of that tank of fuel. So driving aggressively or with short trips or pretty much anything that causes a reduction in fuel economy means that the first pip will disappear much sooner (less miles) than if you were getting great fuel economy.

Someone getting 35mpg is going to see that first pip disappear much sooner than someone getting 60mpg!

You will never know if they tank was completely full unless you can see fuel in the filler neck. Gas pumps may click off prematurely for a number of reasons. I don't recommend trying to overfill the tank just to make these calculations. Simply fill the tank to the first or second click off and rest assured that your displayed mpg is fairly accurate. Data has shown the MFD mpg is within 2% of actual when measured over multiple refills.

In other words, stop worrying and just drive the car. :)

3. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say that's normal, if u topped off the tank u might of got a gallon or 2 more.

Abdullah Jordan likes this.
  4. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    U never told us how many gallons u put in at the pump. In my 06 when the pump clicks off I still can put in a gallon or 2 to top it off. My tank is 11.9.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without repeated observations we can only conclude that your fuel pump turned off prematurely and that you didn't really have a full tank. Otherwise it could be a problem with your fuel gauge display and it needs to be re-set. :)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're right on track, keep up the good work my darling!:)

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One Question: When you filled the tank, what speed on the nozzle did you have it set at? In other words, did you pump the fuel in FAST or SLOW?

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Abdullah. It's not the "filter" that's holding the extra petrol, it's just the top of part of the tank and filler neck.

You see the Prius tank doesn't actually need to be completely filled in order to show all 10 "pips" on the gauge. A full tank holds 12 US gallon (45L), but typically only about 10 US gal (37L) are required to get all 10 pips up.

If like mine, your prius is a model without the tank bladder (non North American model) then you should consider the tank to hold the equivalent of approximately 12 pips on the gauge, with the top two pip being invisible. Yes I know that those 11th and 12th pips aren't really there, but what I'm saying is that there really is space from them in the tank. This is why the 10th pip often wont drop for well over 100 miles (and sometimes 200 miles) if you fill the tank all the way.

The filler neck on the Prius is fairly narrow, so it quite often happens that a petrol pump may cut out before the tank is completely full. I assume that this is what happened in your case. Generally you need to slow down the pump a little bit in order to stop it cutting out too early. You have to be careful though, if you pump it too slowly then it may not cut out at all and you can spill petrol and overfill it, which isn't a good idea.

11. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i didt notes how many gallons , i just payed the station guy :)

12. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes maybe , in the next tank full , if the same will happens i will reset it by disconnect the 12V battery . thanks man

13. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i read here that we must put the gas pump at the slowest speed and that what i did .

14. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for your replay man , its really very harmful to overfill the tank ?

16. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    which track you mean ? if you rae talking about driving prius then you are so right , the must reliable great car i ever had ... thanks for replay man :)

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, that just means there's more variability as to exactly how much fuel it contains when "full". Honestly, I wouldn't stress about only getting 35 miles on the first pip, I don't think it represents any problem. Sometimes you may get 100 miles on the first pip, sometimes you might get 10. It's very dependent upon precisely how much petrol was pumped in, and that as I said it quite variable (even when you think you completely filled it).

18. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so you think its so normal and there is no any problem.....thanks

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Abdullah,

I think you will find in time that when you fill the tank you will see a LOT of variables. Sometimes that first pip might last 100 miles or more, sometimes 35 like you observed.

There are a lot of variables that are involved with the Gen II Prius that has the bladder.

You are new to the car. In time you will become more accustomed to it. I really don't think you have any problems. Just enjoy the car, the good mileage, and the fact that it does not cost a arm and a leg when you go to fill up.

Good luck to you!

20. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    update : the second pipe gone at 60 mile :( this thing goes me crazy !! if that will keep happens the whole tank will disappear at 250 mile !!