1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the floor mat question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by odysseus, Dec 13, 2009.

1. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2006 certified Prius that a dealer is offering has no floor mats. When I asked about them, I was told that in the wake of the recall, the dealer had removed them and wouldn't provide them.

Does that make sense? I assume that Toyota will be replacing everyone's floor mats, but won't that require an exchange? What should I do while I wait for Toyota to implement fully its recall?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchase real floor mats instead, like the WeatherTech Floorliners. :)

Just make sure you have the factory clips that hold the floormats in place. Otherwise pick them up from the dealer when you buy the car.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like dealer BS.

AFAIK, Toyota is not replacing the floor mats. All Toyota is doing is checking that you have the right floor mats properly installed with floor anchors/clips.

If your dealer had the floor mats and removed them as he claimed, then insist that he put them back in properly (the carpeted ones, which I like and have, are worth about $100).

In addition, what Toyota will be doing later is changing the accelerator pedal. Whenever that recall is implemented, you will be able to get that done at any Toyota dealer.

4. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See this official announcement.

Especially #2: "Vehicles with any genuine Toyota or Lexus accessory all-weather floor mat will be provided with newly-designed replacement driver- and front passenger-side all-weather floor mats."

But I guess floor mats could be part of the negotiation.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

I see it's the recent announcement about the OEM all-weather floor mats (not the OEM carpeted mats).

But if your dealer says that he had the OEM all-weather floor mats in the car but took them out, then he should still do something for you -- put back the old OEM mats (so you can replace them later per the recall), put in the new OEM mats, or give you a $ credit.

6. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that if the car was traded to the dealer, the best it had was the OEM carpeted mats.

I wonder whether the dealer might be reacting to the following statement in the press release:

So if the Prius is one of the "involved vehicles," are they basically saying that one should drive it without floor mats?

On a side note, I don't understand how these accidents happen. If a driver-side floor mat is properly anchored to the hooks, how can it possibly interfere with the accelerator pedal? I've never seen a floor mat release itself spontaneously from the hooks, either.

7. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It is very unlikely unless either the hooks break, or the mat tears itself off the hooks.

The problem is NOT the Toyota floor mats; it is the stupid American driver who replaces the Toyota mats with aftermarket mats.

I will specifically tell my dealer to NOT touch my OEM floor mats, and to only replace the accelerator pedal if it was made by CTS, not Denso. BTW, I pressed the pedal to the floor with my hand and it never came anywhere near the mat.

8. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same thing happened to us when we bought our Certified Used 2006 in Jan. 2010 from a Toyota dealer. Our dealer's excuse was to blame the detail shop for "misplacing and loosing the front mats".

We bought the car anyway and later found out the truth-floor mat recall.

Why can't the dealers be honest with issues?

9. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed the other day that both my carpet mat hooks had come out of the holes in the floor.

I didnt think much of it but clicked them back into the floor and pushed the prongs thru the carpet. I wonder if the clips could be a problem then that causes a problem?