1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The front door

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by withersea, Jul 25, 2006.

1. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my third week of Prius ownership. I am starting to find myself a little agitated that the front door of my house doesn't unlock when I grab the doorknob to open it. It feels so primitive having to use a darn key. What about a little synchropriusnicity....

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Jul 25 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]291974[/snapback]</div>
    You've caught it too! We're considering using some sort of automated entry (in addition to traditional locks) for the doors in the house we're designing. I'm trying to balance the 'Why burn more power than you have to' with the 'well, it's going to be solar anyway, and MAN wouldn't it be nice to not have to take the keys out of your purse anymore!' =)

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Homelink used to make doorlocks that would work with the Homelink system in the Prius, but no longer.

I did see at a fair some electronic doorlocks. One used a thumbprint, one used a push-button combination and one used a remote like the fob (but you push the button on the fob for it to unlock). They were nice, but a smartkey one would be better.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are willing to spend some money, they do make fingerprint activated locks.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    SKS for the home will probably work out badly unless alarms don't use the same mechanism to disarm.

They already have SKS cracking capabilities, based on reports of high-dollar SKS cars being stolen. If a Prius is ignored now by properly-equipped thieves, homes with similar technology won't be.

My house has a window in the door but an alarm to TRY to keep things where they belong...

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jul 25 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]292021[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm, then regular keyed locks would be even worse, right? Lock pick and lock picking techniques for keyed locks have existed ever since there have been keyed locks. And I'm sure that any theif that could aford SKS cracking equipment could afford a set of lock picks or a brick.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bottom line: You can't stop them, you can only slow them down.