1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Gas Gauge Says Full, But That's Not Quite True: NPR

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, May 16, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Gas Gauge Says Full, But That's Not Quite True : NPR
    There's nothing really earth shattering here but I did realize something that I hadn't previously...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never looked at my gauge to see if it was full after the first click. first of all, you would have to turn the car on. course' you can throw all this out with the blatter.

3. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the same thing as the gages of yore filling up way past full, I don't think it is anything new.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I normally stop after the first click and every car I've owned, except my Z (more on this later) points to full or above at that point.

My Z has developed a prob where the gas gauge calibration seems off (it has a needle). After the first click or even one the second, the gauge won't point to full anymore. When it points to empty w/the low fuel light, it appears to have fair amount of of gas (reserve or otherwise) left. The gas tank has a capacity of 20 US gallons and even if I run it down to E w/warning light on, if memory serves, I can put in only between 13.x-15.x gallons.

I believe it's a known issue but I'm WAY out of warranty, so I haven't bothered getting it fixed.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i click in until it's full and round off the money. must be a personality thang.:rolleyes:

HarvMilt likes this.
  6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neat article. I always knew it "held" up there on full but didn't think it was really deliberate.

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I round off too. And I could care less what the gauge does above full, it's how accurate it is at empty that really matters.