1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'The Great Global Warming Swindle' -- Video Here

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Mar 11, 2007.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Mar 11 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]403826[/snapback]</div>
    I see your a man of few posts but this one is a bomb. OK I have only watch a minute but I can tell this topic will get a huge response from the GW crowd here. Congrats on a great find mind if I jump in an stir the pot with you? :lol: [attachmentid=6847] :lol:

Wildkow

p.s. Back to the movie but first some popcorn.

Attached Files:

3. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

I watched it. Fascinating.

Of course, the "global warming" people are religious fanatics. One can only hope their dogma blows over like the hula-hoop and the Atkins diet.

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish. They adapt. Not long ago it was 'The Coming Ice Age'. They'll always be around in some form. Atkins still sells...

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    !!BUSTED!! <_<

Enough evidence half way through to bust this entire concept. :lol:

Wildkow

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 11 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]403844[/snapback]</div>
    OK, just finished the whole thing and all I can say is WOW I hope that the GW'ers watch this documentary and realize they are duped or prepared to be labeled as dishonest and inhumane when this house of cards comes tumbling down. The sad thing as explained at the end of the documentary is the effect the environmentalist and GW crowd have on 3rd world nations trying to bring up their standard of living. All the above being said developed nations should still try to reduce their dependency on petroleum as well as reduce pollution. Let the 3rd World have the less expensive means of producing electricity and industry until they can also afford the means to use the much more expensive forms of non-polluting less reliable energy.

Wildkow

7. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Interesting stuff. Too bad it seems at least one of the interviews was edited to fit the intent of this documentary.
    More here.

8. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 11 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]403844[/snapback]</div>
    While Wildkow & friends are clearly deleriously happy that their prejudice has apparently been confirmed, others who have no prejudice but are simply interested in getting the most balanced possible take on the matter can start here, and from there be led to other worthwhile sites.

What baffles me, frankly, is that for many the issue isn't that the climate isn't changing, it's that man's responsible for it. To me, that's a bit irrelevant: if the climate is changing in a significant way, and the breakup of ice formations that for tens of thousands of years have been stable or slowly building up, in Greenland, in the Antarctic, in the Arctic, and in glaciers all over the globe is certainly compelling evidence that something is going on, then we'd damn well better find out exactly what is going on so we can prepare for it. The idea that we don't need to look at climate because we don't think man can affect it is a resoundingly stupid idea. We can't affect earthquakes, but we sure as hell do everything we can to mitigate their effects, and we study the bejesus out of them to increase our level of preparedness. We should be doing the same with climate, regardless of whether changes are man caused or not.

Anyway, those interested in sober answers, not propaganda, should start at the site indicated above.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better read this as well.... Who's really swindled?

Looks like a bad case of scientists being mugged for their quotes.

I'll continue to watch the video though.

10. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

From the Independent Online:

"This time it is different because vast amounts of the gas are being artificially put into the atmosphere by humans."

HA. "Artificially". Humans are animals, part of nature, and what they do is part of nature. And nature can--and will--respond, and create the balance she needs.

Everything that's happening is simply part of the natural cycle, and humans can't change that--they can only be part of it.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 11 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]403915[/snapback]</div>

Slightly right but wrong in a big way.....

We are a part of the natural system and we are subject to natures laws but technology has allowed us to entend the amount of time we can ignore the effects of natural laws. It is catching up to us.

I would also add that the idea you present sounds a like like Gaia theory and the scientist who developed that idea disagrees with your asumption. :)

12. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I lose interest when an argument is made for C02 not being a factor in climate change. C02 is a greenhouse gas due to its physical properties, regardless of its levels in the past. In the present, C02 levels are skyrocketing to levels unprecedented in earth's history. Ergo, elevated levels of C02 in earth's atmosphere will increase temperature.

Attached Files:

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still watching the video but I'm find it mildly disturbing that many of the interviewees are religious speakers and/or have ties with religious foundations or agenda driven institutions (tobacco and oil).

Amusing too that one of them used Newt Ginrich's "anti development, anti-car, anti-growth, and anti-U.S.A." neurolinguistic programing methods to belittle environmentalists (Fredrick Singer and Philip Stott at the 42.23 min mark in the movie). Google them. :(

I would love to find out that climate scientists are wrong and this is a huge hoax. Well not really since there are a large number of other issues that make fossil fuel use a bad thing but still. I just get sick and tired of hearing all this stuff only to research those in the articles and documentaries and finding out their motives are questionable or even outright biased because of their beliefs and political or industrial ties.

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Amusing that the deniers can't even enter a title for a post without lying...

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I give up. I googled most of the scientists and the producer "Martin Durkin" and was disgusted with what I found so I guess I'll have to wait till more credible scientists come forth with objections to global warming or are simply not "mugged" for their quotes. bleh, it's crap.

16. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

" Scientists threatened for 'climate denial'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/ngreen211.xml

"Scientists who questioned mankind's impact on climate change have received death threats and claim to have been shunned by the scientific community.

They say the debate on global warming has been "hijacked" by a powerful alliance of politicians, scientists and environmentalists who have stifled all questioning about the true environmental impact of carbon dioxide emissions.

Timothy Ball, a former climatology professor at the University of Winnipeg in Canada, has received five deaths threats by email since raising concerns about the degree to which man was affecting climate change."

etc.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 11 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]403962[/snapback]</div>
    That tends to happen when you run political campaigns and organize groups that are set up to look like they are enviro-friendly yet remain tied to utility companies. Regardless, if the threats are true then that is sad. There are nutcases on every side of a debate. But this changes things how?

On a side not, I've recieved death threats by email for arguing my stance on turbocharging vs supercharging and which would be faster in the 1/4mile. *shrug* crazy people out there.

18. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Mar 11 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]403826[/snapback]</div>
    <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

19. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The most pointed comment comes from one of the scientists who appeared in the video:

"I spent hours in the interview describing
    many of the problems of understanding the ocean in climate change,
    and the ways in which some of the more dramatic elements get
    exaggerated in the media relative to more realistic, potentially
    truly catastrophic issues, such as
    the implications of the oncoming sea level rise. As I made clear, both in the
    preliminary discussions, and in the interview itself, I believe that
    global warming is a very serious threat that needs equally serious
    discussion and no one seeing this film could possibly deduce that.

What we now have is an out-and-out propaganda piece, in which
    there is not even a gesture toward balance or explanation of why
    many of the extended inferences drawn in the film are not widely
    accepted by the scientific community."

--Carl Wunsch
    Cecil and Ida Green Professor of
    Physical Oceanography
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

excerpt from full letter available in comment 109 at http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archi...ndled/#more-414

20. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What, you're saying journalists and producers conspired to present one side of an argument? That these servants of the people have their own agenda and attempted to produce a video that was "sensational", would create a stir, and sell like hotcakes for it?

Anytime anyone remotely connected to the entertainment industry (which includes movies, TV, newspapers, magazines, etc) says anything, always ask yourself "Are they saying that because it will get viewers? Does what they say have the potential to make people feel threatened? Do they claim to have proof that a commonly accepted fact is wrong?".

This video, by the title alone, isn't worth spending the time to watch. The title suggests a great conspiracy, which always gets peoples blood boiling. It addresses a topic that, while generally accepted in scientific circles and by the general populous, has had quite a bit of controversy surrounding it in the past. It's the type of hook that news stations would use to get you to watch their nightly news instead of the competitions. Sort of like the commercials you see that say "10 common household items that could kill you. Tonight at 11". You get scared, tune in at 11 only to find out that the cords from your blinds present a choking hazard for children (something you already should have known) and idiots.