1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Green Drive Expo in Richmond, CA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by xinsight, Oct 9, 2010.

1. xinsight

xinsight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We had a wonderful time today at the Bay Area's first 'Green Drive Expo' in Richmond's Craneway Pavilion (a portion of a restored 1920's era Ford factory right on SF Bay).

Toyota & (appropriately) Ford were well represented and, along with Mitsubishi and Think, were offering test rides in their current and future plug-in vehicles. I drove the new Prius plug-in (drives just like our Gen III's, but with no under floor storage or spare tire), the current Fusion (a really nice larger car and a better drive than the Camry), and the Mitsubishi MiEV (which is just amazing). Nissan had their Leaf on display ( for 'looking at and sitting in' - but no test drives). There are some really neat cars that will be coming out in the next year. Even though we were just across the harbor from Honda's Richmond Port of Entry (where all their imports to the US from Japan now arrive) - they were noticeably absent. Perhaps Honda was feeling uncompetitive. Many friends and exhibitors were driving their original Insights though - so I felt right at home.

The Expo was very well organized, and held in a super venue with a large & sunny area for the exhibitors. Free espressos (!!), modern & clean bathrooms (!!!) and we even had the Blue Angels doing their aerobatics out over the Bay in the afternoon as a part of Fleet Week. Lots of people and enthusiasm - what a great day!

I'll edit this thread to post some photos when I get time in the next couple of days, if any turn out OK.

-Xinsight

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      183.7 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      191.6 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      189 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      180.3 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      170.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      181.3 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      199 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a good show, drove the Prius PHV and met some PCers.

I was very impressed with the Nissan Leaf and it was getting lots of attention. Was told it is already sold out for the first year. Found it funny that the top of the electric motor (?) has a cover that looks like a valve cover - nice touch. It looked very well engineered in and out. Rep said Nissan has been building electric vehicles for 20 years.

Lots of friendly, informative, intelligent and enthusiastic people there. Good time.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I test drove the Prius PHEV, TCH, THH, and FE PHEV. The Prius PHEV is the best one in terms of EV driveability. The TCH and the THH both starts up the engine as soon as you step on the pedal. The FE PHEV stays in EV til about 20-25 then the engine kicks on. That's with feathering the pedal. At least the Prius PHEV capable of moderate acceleration under EV only.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mods, could one of you please move this into the "News" section so that people other then GenIII'ers can enjoy? :)

Attached Files:

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More pics

Attached Files:

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And more pics..

Attached Files:

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was good to meet you. :) I wanted to apologize for directing my attention to someone who wanted info on my car. I turned around and you were gone. :(

8. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was also surprised by this, as it was the first time I've seen a Leaf in person (even though I've already ordered one) and I have never seen under the hood before.

I flew in from Ft.Worth, TX just to go to this event. I took a lot of video and will be making a new episode of EV-Talk about this event, which should be live in a day or two.

I also thought it was odd that neither GM or Honda had any presence there.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is quite a trip! :) I thought the Leaf was very nice looking in person. I wasn't keen on the color or the narrowness of the rear hatch opening but it was roomy in the passenger compartment. I'm glad to hear you ordered one. Early adopters are what push this segment of the industry.