1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Greening of Suburbia - the Lexus Hybrid (Article)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Link to article

The Greening of Suburbia
    By JAMES G. COBB

Published: November 30, 2003

TOYOTA, which did not become big by thinking small, has grander plans for its Lexus RX sport utility wagon. The RX, already a generation ahead of the competition, will take another leap next fall with a hybrid gasoline-electric version that will test the willingness of the upper-middle class to vote for greener vehicles with their monthly payments.

While Ford is planning to introduce a hybrid version of its Escape next year, offering an environmentally friendlier alternative to conventional S.U.V.'s, the hybrid RX will be the nation's first green luxury vehicle. How it is received will help to determine whether hybrids have broad appeal beyond environmental pioneers and Hollywood celebrities who have embraced hybrids like the Toyota Prius.

The enthusiasm that greeted the redesigned 2004 Prius, which is larger, more powerful and more practical than its predecessor, suggests that a market exists; dealers in some regions have six-month waiting lists.

Toyota is likely to market the hybrid RX as a good-for-you pill with sugar coating. Supplemented by electric motors in front and rear, the internal-combustion V-6 engine will have "the power and torque of a V-8," Toyota's president, Fujio Cho, has promised.

If its bet is successful, Toyota will further establish its image as an industry leader on environmental matters, given that its Detroit competitors have delayed or postponed their own hybrid cars and trucks. General Motors, for instance, is promoting its research on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. G.M. and others have questioned the logic behind dual powertrains with added potential for failure - and with unproven long-term durability.

There is also growing awareness that hybrids get lower mileage on the streets than in the government ratings. The Prius is rated at 60 m.p.g. in the city and 51 on the highway, but many owners report actual combined mileage in the low to mid 40 m.p.g. range. That is not significantly better than some highly efficient gasoline-only or diesel cars.

2. Gobenator

Gobenator New Member

WHOOO HOO WHOOO HOO
    ROCK ON!!
    GREAT ARTICLE!!

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Just noticed this little tidbit from GM and am confused about what exactly GM considers "long-term".

Aren't there a bunch of 2001 Prius owners in the U.S. that have had their cars for close to 3 years and put tens of thousands of miles on them (and even some in the 60k-80k range)?

Since I've owned several vehicles manufactured by GM and haven't been able to put much more than 50k-60k miles on any of them without a significant number of repairs, I consider their statement to be a bit disingenuous.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah Tag you beat me to it. Since when has GM ever been concerned about product quality? The 30k on my Saturn VUE sure weren't exactly a painless experience.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

Wolfman,

I read your post in the another forum regarding your 7 failures. GEEZ!!

About the same here with two Suburbans and an AWD Astro Van during the 90's.

As for the Astro, I spent well over $4k on the thing after the warranty expired. It was nothing but trouble; the sliding door (manual), power windows, trim, differential, alignment, et al.

We had to put about a grand into my wife's Suburban before we dumped it at around 55k miles; the dealer said it needed an additional $2500 worth of repairs at that time.

We dumped our other Suburban at about 60k miles even though we had a 7/75, 0 deductible warranty (the dealer never sent the money to GM and, thus, I discovered I actually had no extended warranty). I went through three power window motors and an absolute plague of problems. In less than 4 years, that POS spent around 3 months in the shop. Ridiculous!

I've had (albeit, less severe) problems with Ford and Chrysler products so I'm pretty much done with the "big three".

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am personally a Toyota junkie. I was the first person in my family to buy a Toyota (Paseo) and I loved that thing - drove 168,000 miles on it without any major maintenence done to it before it was totalled.

Then my brother bought a Camry, then my mom bought a Camry, and now my father bought a Tundra last year. I got my MR2 Spyder last October. 65,000 miles on it already (it's a 2001).

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, I had less than 6k left on the original warranty. I wasn't about to let that thing cost me a large repair bill.