1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Guardian's Top 10 Green cars....

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Jonnycat26, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found this over the weekend, and thought it was interesting. The top 10 greenest cars available in the UK, from the Guardian's website.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cars/story/0,,13...1357788,00.html

I had no idea the Civic Hybrid was so clean. It may not get the milage, but I guess what comes out of the tailpipe is a little cleaner. And check out all the diesels.. I guess the newer diesel fuel does make a huge difference.

A lot of the cars on the list would be absolute toast on the highways here... I can't imagine driving the Daihatsu Charade 1.0 EL on the NJ parkway, altho I have to wonder if it's any worse than the Geo Metros I still see puttering along. :)

2. Marg

Marg New Member

I don't understand. When I look at the stats, the Prius has better mileage, fewer CO2 emissions and more boot space and yet they put the Honda first.

Not that the Honda is a bad car. In fact, it's great, but I don't understand the logic that caused this guy to put the Honda ahead of the Prius.

3. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I agree, that's a little weird
    Just forget for a moment that the Prius is more efficient, pollutes less, has more interior space, and earned a higher crash test rating than the HCH. The info is all right there!

Perhaps the Guardian had some criteria and awarded the HCH first place because it costs about 2000 pounds less and "holds its value better"....... come on!!!!

We have all seen the Prii on Ebay that had 15000 thousand miles on them and were being sold for the same price they were purchased at. Not to mention the 2001/3 models which held their value very well; I can attest to that.

The Prius costs more.... well duh! It has a lot more features than the HCH... Anyway enough of my ranting, the HCH is a fine car, but just not as fine as Prius IMHO :|

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marg\";p=\"53898)</div>
    Yeah, that is very odd. The only thing I can think of is that the CO2 emissions are close, but the Civic costs over £2K more.

But I do like the larger variety of cars available. Does anyone know how the standard Accord 4cyl would compare to the Accord diesel they have listed? I know that the Accord 4cyl in the US is available in PZEV form, but don't know the specifics on emissions output on that.

5. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Just to correct a common misconception, this article tells us nothing about how clean the diesels are in comparison to the gasoline cars. The only pollutant listed is CO2, and the amount of CO2 produced by an internal combustion engine is directly proportional to its efficiency. It has nothing to do with what fuel it is burning. Diesels have always done well with regards to CO2 emmisions because they are efficient. However, they are very poor at nitrous oxide and hydrocarbon emmisions, which are what produces smog. Even very dirty diesels using old fashion un-clean diesel fuel produce low CO2 emissions.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix\";p=\"53904)</div>
    Ah, I didn't know that....

Still, I wouldn't discount CO2 emissions as a useless stat. They are responsible for global warming, right?

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Civic costs £2500 less. That's the only logical explanation for the ranking. I'm a little surprised, especially as it's a saloon. Saloons are not popular in the UK - it's the only one on the list.

Conversely, maybe the fact the Prius was automatic counted against it.

And no, the Civic isn't as clean as the Prius on other emissions (CO, NOx etc).

On resale values, they appear to be basing it on the old Prius, but that doesn't seem a fair comparison.

8. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Jonnycat,

You are correct, and I am in no way trying to imply that CO2 emissions are not important, just that they are directly proportional to efficiency. Thus you know relatively how much CO2 a vehicle will produce just by knowing its fuel economy. On the other hand, fuel economy tells you almost nothing about how clean a car is with respect to smog forming emissions (NOx, hydrocarbons and particulates). So to think that diesels cars are "clean" because they have low CO2 emissions is somewhat false. They are clean from the perspective of CO2, but they may be (and usually are) very dirty with respect to other types of emissions.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO\";p=\"53940)</div>
    KMO, most Americans think of bars and taverns when saloons are the topic.

3 entries found for saloon.

:rofl:

10. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"53956)</div>

....and those are popular just about everywhere. :lol: