1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The GUN Thread...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, May 9, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

This past weekend I went shooting. Yes, they left the Squid alone with firearms. B)

Anyway, there's this place just outside of Worcester, MA, where you can walk in without a gun license or any sort of permit, pick out any gun the place, and take it out back and start firing away...

http://www.bostongunrange.com/

...anyway, first gun I spent some time shooting was a typical .45... Neat, but I wanted something with more *kick*, so then I went and got a rifle with a holographic laser sight (forgot what type of gun it was, but it looked like something out of a video game), cool, but wanted something with even MORE kick. I wanted a BOOMSTICK baby! I wanted something that was going to HURT just firing! I wanted the BIG BANG BABY!

Lo and behold, the guy behind the counter goes, "I've got just the gun for YOU!", and pulls this thing off the wall:

[​IMG]

a 12 gauge pump shotgun! YES!!!

So he puts 15 slug shells in my little basket, and I go out back to have some fun....

WOW! My entire shoulder was/is seriously bruised up! What a kick, what NOISE, what SMOKE! Oddly, it was the gun I was able to aim the best with...

If there's ever anything I'd get for home defense, THIS would be it (except instead of slugs, I'd get buckshot a-la Cheney style!)!

Man, the way it fired...

the way the shell violently ejects when you pump the thing...

just pumping it made you feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Predator, that nice, "CA-CHICK-CHINK" noise!

The HELL with SUV'S to make you feel BIG, go fire a 12 gauge!

Man, I barely finished all 15 slugs, it just HURT too much to fire!

:ph34r:

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a Walthers PPKs, but haven't shot it in a while. There was a time I shot black powder with my father.

The most fun I did have shooting was shooting an original 1868 Gatling Gun. Only 10 rounds, but quite a thrill.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a Ruger 10-22, a 7.62x39 SKS, a Remington 870 pump 12 gauge, and an assortment of air guns.

Tom

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Grew up shooting guns...got my first one at age 10 as a gift but was shooting muzzle loaders competitively before then.

I still have several around the house. Bought a nice 12 guage that I put a folding stock on when I lived in Alaska for my bear gun. There's a .38 locked up somewhere, a .22 rifle, and my original Savage 20ga/.22cal over/under that I got when I was 10.

I don't shoot much any more, usually go dove hunting once a year with my father-in-law...that's a lot of fun, so much action.

Anyway squid, you're bruised probably b/c you weren't holding the shotgun tightly enough against your shoulder. Give it a little room to gain momentum and it'll punch ya! Also, you're not supposed to "aim" a shotgun, and it's not that suprising you did well with it, hard to miss stuff...esp. stationary stuff...with a gun that scatters pellets over a 12" or larger area!

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]252377[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, that's exactly what happened... I thought I held it tight enough, but for whatever reason, relaxed for a moment just prior to pulling the trigger... oh well, it was mad fun nonetheless! As for the aiming, they were solid slugs, not buck-shot...

...if anything, I got a perspective on just how tough it would be shooting a moving target... won't be too concerned now if some punk arse whips out a .45... :lol:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 9 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]252381[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, slugs...that makes more sense.

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]252384[/snapback]</div>
    I've got an AR-15 (post ban <_< ). No bayonet lug. It's SOOOOOO much safer without one. :lol: I've also got a 30 '06, an 1871 Model Winchester lever action 30/30 and a boring Remington 12 gauge shotgun. Don't use any of them anymore. When I lived in AZ it was so much easier to find a place to go plinkin'. In CO it's a beeyotch unless you live up in the mountains.

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Go shoot some clays with a shotgun, it's FUN! Much better than killing tiny birds.... (And you don't have to eat the clays to justify the trip.) I find 12 gauge a little large for my taste. Gimme a nice handling 20 gauge, load it with #7 or so and set me loose on the range. I promise I won't hit anything! :(

9. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    squid, yes a shotgun is the best home defense weapon you can get, especially if it's a pump action. Why pump action? When an intruder hears the cha-chung of the pump chambering a round they're out the door... in a hurry. That way you never have to fire a shot, which is the best way.

10. benighted

benighted New Member

Heres part of my soviet collection. They are all 7.63x54r
    Top: 1937 Mosin Nagant M1891/30
    Middle: 1946 Mosin Nagant M44 with folding bayonet
    Bottom: ???? Romanian PSL sniper rifle

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dude, that must be a Romanian knock-off of an SVD Dragonov. Very cool. The Mosin Nagants are beautiful. Very nice collection. Gawd, I love PC. Such a diverse group of people. Awesome.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 9 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]252406[/snapback]</div>
    You are right, that is the Romanian Klashnikov version of a Dragunov. They are becoming increasingly rare, I'm glad I got it when I had the chance. http://www.dragunov.net/faq.htm

13. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 9 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]252348[/snapback]</div>

Cheney was using birdshot not buckshot.

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok the list:

1 Rossi 44spl 2" Revolver
    1 Taurus 38 2" Revolver
    1 Taurus pt92-c 9mm
    1 S/W 6906 9mm
    1 Sig 9mm
    1 Mossberg pump 12g
    1 Savage pump 30/30
    1 LC Smith dbl barrel 12g

If you really want BIG BOOM & KICK try a 8 gauge shotgun:
    [​IMG]
    I do not thing they make them any more but a 10 gauge will work as well..

If you really want to scare your friends while hunting or showing off your collection break out one of these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Called the Street Sweeper 12 gauge w/20 round drum.

For the man who has to have the bigest pistol:
    [​IMG]
    The Desert Eagle 50 cal Pistol.

One of these babies the deer wouldnt have a chance:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry guys these are full auto 12 gauge military shotguns.
    If your caught haveing to look down the barrle of one of these, no one will know how scared you where except for you & your drycleaners. :lol: :lol:

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I grew up with guns, and living in Utah it seems every family has a few tucked away somewhere. I thought MA had very strict gun control laws, sort of like Canada. In Utah, as long as you're not a criminal or judged mentally incompetent, you only need a permit for fully automatic weapons.

My folks had the usual collection of shotguns (Ithasca, Winchester, etc), .22's (As a kid I learned to shoot with a Ruger 10/22), a Korean War .45 relic my Dad somehow snuck out after his service was up, and a few .38's. We never kept them under lock and key, always had a .38 in the car, and never felt we had to use one.

My Dad taught me at a very early age the responsibility that comes with a weapon: never point the barrel at anything you don't intend to kill, etc. I think that went a long way to teaching me a healthy respect for firearms.

In the Guard I quickly became proficient with the M16/AR-15 and M-60. Later on, after I moved from home, I had a .38 for awhile, briefly had a Cold Gold Cup National Match in .45 ACP, then in the early 90's stepped up to a Glock 22. Out of the box, the standard Glock 22 had tighter grouping than my Colt GCNM.

I sold all my weapons when I moved to Canada. If you're around them as a kid, you can take em or leave em. I worry about grown kids ("Adults" who want a thrill) suddenly developing an interest in firearms.

As far as the boo-boo from the shotgun, a little advice: either shoot from the hip, or hold the stock TIGHT against your shoulder. You can also get shoulder pads, which are popular in tournements and matches. A 30-06 has a healthy kick too.

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

You guys give me comfort that if the U.S. was EVER invaded, the invaders would not last long.

17. MarieH

MarieH New Member

If you want some real fun with guns, try Cowboy Action Shooting. You dress up like it's the Old West, and guns have to be before 1899. Replicas are fine, and that's what most everyone uses. Here's a link: SASS I decided to go look at a Prius after a discussion of cars on the forum at the website, and one of the guys was talking about how much room he had to haul stuff in his wife's Prius B)

18. Mystery Squid

K, since it appears we have a lot of knowledgable gun people on here, here's how crappy I did... :lol:
    First time I ever fired any real weapons really, aside from a .22 rifle at a friend's house long ago... Which, mind you, was only one shot, fired into a tree... :rolleyes: Basically, I was just having fun, I have no intention of turning this into a hobby, just sort of eyeballed it and fired really... None of that proper stance, hold, holding breath jazz... too lazy... :)

12 gauge pump, approx. 25 feet

[attachmentid=3351]

[attachmentid=3352]

Whatever the heck that rifle was with the hologram scope... As you can see, it needed alignment... This is like, maybe 35-40 feet...

[attachmentid=3353]

...and the first real handgun I ever fired... some .45, approx. 25 feet

[attachmentid=3354]

19. benighted

benighted New Member

At least you hit the target. Keep practicing and you will get better. Were you firing from a standing position when you took the shots or was the gun supported?

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ May 9 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]252495[/snapback]</div>
    They do... I think, here in MA, if you get caught with an unregistered gun or something, it's a mandatory one year in jail (it's either that or discharging a weapon in some type of public environment, I've no idea, except that it's really tough...). There's obviously some law that let's them get away with this sort of thing... It's an indoor shooting range, kind of like how they show cops doing it on tv. You have to sign a waiver, and it's ridiculously expensive. My one hour, through 3 guns, and a fair amount of ammo, all rang up to $151. There's also this big guy with a gun that stands behind you a few feet away, keeping an eye on everyone. They don't allow hip, or one hand shooting, and you're pretty much constantly monitored. Truthfully, I'm surprised this place exists in MA, as they really only GLOSS over how to load it and fire. There's A LOT of potential for someone to F up, drop a gun, or do something stupid...

That's some cool shizzle... They had various Glocks there too.. Had a TON of guns, I just know so little about guns, I can only generalize. As for the shoulder, yeah, I know, even the guy watching us kept telling me, I tried, but again, for whatever reason, I would relax as I was ready to fire... I don't really care too much though, again, I have no intention of making this a hobby or anything, it was just a really fun, different thing to do on a Saturday afternoon....

If anything, at least now I know what it's like, what it feels, to fire a weapon. I had the opportunity as a kid to get into guns, I lived/grew up in a rural area in Connecticut where it wasn't that uncommon to see hunters walking down backroads with shot guns, but I was far more interested in ATV's.... :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 9 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]252566[/snapback]</div>
    all standing... no supports whatsoever...

I'll probably go one more time, they have one of these up on the wall, and I WILL give it a shot, thing looked BAD A$$:

[​IMG]

I guess they also have AK47's and other "machine guns", he wouldn't specify when asked, other than to say, "Oh, they go fast when we get them in...." :huh: