1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Hatch Back

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by atootie, Apr 10, 2004.

1. atootie

atootie New Member

I have a question about the closing the hatchback! It seems that about every other time I close it doesn't always catch. What is the best way to close it? Should I slam it and if where is the best place to place your hand to do that? Thanks for any advice! 8)

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > Should I slam it and if where is the best place to place your hand to do that?

You obviously haven't found the handle. (I better add a note about that to the User-Guide.)

There's a cavity on the inside of the hatch door, on the right as you look at it. You grab onto that with you hand and pull down hard.

Slam it! Damn it! It's designed for that.

3. atootie

atootie New Member

Thank you John I have found the handle but must be babying it! The reason I asked was I looked out the window and the cargo light was on! Thanks John have a happy easter.!

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The first few times I tried to close the hatch (from the outside) it would not close. Turned out I was testing it to see if it had latched by lifting up where the SE sensor is, and unlatching it again. Now I lift on the spoiler after closing it, to make sure it's closed.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe someone can explain to me just how you slam it with your hand on the inside handle?

RobertO had a solution in another thread,
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=845

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems that this is a problem oon other cars too. I did a google search on Mercedes trunk handle and found several.

I just ordered one from:
    http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/trunkhandle.html

It is black and cost $18.50 plus $5 shipping.

It is better than losing a hand closing it with the inside handle!

7. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I start with a good jerk to the handle and then follow through with a light hand on the spoiler.

I also have 20 years of experience closing a Tercel hatch, using the housing for the license plate lights as the grab point.

8. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

John - The trunk lid goes up so high, my wife who is short, can't reach it to close the lid. Any suggestions on how to restrict how high the lid rises?

9. Smooth Operator

This looks like it might be a handy device. Please post a followup about how easily it installed and how effective it is on the Prius.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Smartyboots :_> I'll bet you already know that there are no holes in the lid for the lower set of license plate screws, which is where this handle design wants to mount. I was all ready to order the same thing until I went out and looked. A closing handle would be nice but it's not worth drilling new holes into the lid to install this one. And ya can't mount it on the top edge of the license plate: there it would block the truck opening handle.

11. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are right there are no holes in the car for the bottom of the license plate.

There are holes in the plate and frame that are now empty.

I plan to install it there using pan head screws with the nuts (black Plastic) on the outside. I'll provide photos when it is installed.

12. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, did anyone get plain license plate frames from Toyota? Mine are from the dealer and of course have the dealer's name on them. Strictly speaking they're not legal under a new state law concerning obscuration of the plate.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, I haven't chatted with anyone short directly. So I'm not sure what the best method would be for shutting the hatch. I'll have to make note to specifically ask that question (and get demos) at the next gathering... or on "Earth Day" next week where I'll be showing off the Prius to a bunch of high school students. Someone will likely point out something I hadn't thought of.

And as for license plate frames, they are only cosmetic. There really isn't a functional benefit of having them... since I haven't used them on either Prius. In fact, if you live in snow areas, the front one is actually a problem. When you smack into a hidden snow pile, the plate will get torn from the bumper with a frame... wrecking the screw holes. Without a frame, the plate just bends without causing any vehicle damage. But since the 2004 location is higher in front than the classic, it's a non-issue.

14. cybele

cybele New Member

What state would that be?

15. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whups, sorry: Texas.

16. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The installation was simple, the handle has slots so it can be adjusted to clear the license and frame. The handle is sturdy and well finished.

It really makes a difference. Now, rather than a relatively smooth surface from the bottom of the door to the spoiler there is a convenient handle at the bottom of the license that is easily within reach even for short people.

Pictures to follow!

17. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  18. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks Mark!

19. Fredo

Fredo Junior Member

I've had the same problem, I think some cars are more sensitive to it than others. I do know that if the cloth tab to lift the floor panel is in the jamb, or much of anything else, the hatch won't latch properly.

I've found that if I put the heel of my hand on the Toyota emblem with my fingers pointing down, I can latch it consistently. I'm 6 foot tall, I don't know how much hight will affect this maneuver.

The handle looks good, too.

20. casc

casc New Member

I was having similar problems with hatchback. Didn't know about inside handle. :oops:

I'm finding the use of the interior handle with a reverse bowling throw...
    that is the curve motion in the arm i associate with 10 pin bowling release and follow throw... if instead of being upward like realseasing the ball, is a pulling motion.... the hatchback latches cleanly 90%+ of the time.

If only my bowling delivery were so smooth.... These days I'm lucky to break 130 if the bumpers are up so I can't gutter ball... :wink:

cas
    gold 7 stil on 1st tank 'puter consumption says 43 mpg...