1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Hatch Just Blew--My Trip to Richmond

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JimN, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2010 just completed it's first roaddtrip. With two days worth of commuting I headed down to the Studio Plus in Glen Allen (Richmond, VA). The hotel was easy to get to and located right off I-64. The rooms were big & the wi-fi was pretty good. I was surprised that the AC was set at 66F but with 80F & 80% humidity I soon knew why.

Traffic was surprising light. I stayed on the Interstates for the most part (55-65mph) and for the 427 miles on the tank I averaged 58.1mpg, my best tank.

A trip to the airport & commuting to the Convention Center over the next five days in high heat & humidity on I-64 put on 205 miles at 49.4mpg. I was expecting better but with 4 of us, 15 minute rides & the AC always on I guess it isn't bad. (If I only got 50mpg I'd cry.)

I did find one hill on the way to Morton's that would be fun just to coast down but he local authorities probably wouldn't be amused.

The trip back on the Interstates was mostly easy driving. I did pick up some traffic around Baltimore & the rush hour in South Jersey where the Interstates are used for Indy qualifying trials. Even so, the MID is showing 63.3mpg for the 270+ mile trip.

I used the LKA & RCC as much as possible and they were a definite help as the days are long. Eco mode was on almost all the time.

I used my Garmin C320 along with the NAV. Starting off they were equally retarded which didn't matter because I know my way around the neighborhood. However, along the way the NAV was as bad as Borat's "retarded brother Billo" as it tried to route me off at every exit. (BTW many exits showed names & numbers, others just numbers.) I am going to try reading the NAV manual to find the screen to make changes. Flipping through & trying the index didn't help.

I discovered they moved I-95 near Baltimore as both units went 4 wheeling.

My next unit really needs to display speed limits & lane positions.

Besides the below average commuting FE the worst part of the trip occured in the parking garage attached to the Convention Center. (Park in the lot across the street.)

One of the guys was loading the deck. I figured he could handle this so I just got into the left seat to hook everything up. After hearing the hatch close & seeing that everyone is in, I back out of the space. I go a few feet in the lane and BANG!!, the idiot light's on. Yup. The hatch blew open and the spoiler hit something hanging from the ceiling. I now see primer along the edge in the middle of the spoiler. I don't know which one did it & I don't want to find out. I know it's my fault for letting a non-owner close the hatch. That mistake won't happen again.

Overall it was a good trip. Everyone was friendly and I hope I get an opportunity to return. BTW a number of Richmond restaurants were participating in a $30 special. I'm not sure when it ends but the waiter said Morton's didn't trim their serving size for the special price. (Park in the $4 garage. It's a short walk.)

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went around Washington on the other side of I95 (springfield) two weeks back on the way to NEPA, and was pleased to find that the TomTom maps that I have at least knew about the changes to I95. I've yet to take my Prius up north, but I'm sure it'd be just a boat load of fail with the NAV.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad your trip was (mostly) successful and my homies showed you some Southern hospitality. Sorry about your hatch incident. Can I assume the damage is cosmetic only?

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, the very edge is scraped down to the primer. It may be a bit rough. I haven't washed the car so I'm not sure. All I'm going to do is try to cover it up with touch-up paint. It's annoying because it is rather visible & in my face every time I open the hatch.

Richmond has edged out Columbus & Charlotte as nicest & easiest place to get around.