1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The hill from HELL!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nooaah, Sep 23, 2008.

1. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After my last tank of 52.3 mpg, I thought I could do better on this tank as that tank had my tires at 32/30psi. Inflated to 40/38, maybe I can squeeze another mpg or two!? Well, I always suspected that the almost unavoidable hill to start my commute was killing me. I decided to do a trip and reset the energy screen after I clear the hill (it's the first 1/4-1/2 mile). Well, here's my daily commute sans evil hill attached to this post.

I'm apparently losing 16mpg per tank because of this POS! And the locals had Philadelphia close off the only road that really avoids the hill because too many people were abusing it and speeding in a residential area. I don't know what to do besides move. :(

For anyone who wants to help find a new route(PLEASE PLEASE), I start off at Green Lane and Main Street, Philadelphia, PA and end up on Walton Road and Township Line Road in Blue Bell, PA.

note again: River Road is closed off.

Attached Files:

2. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try the obvious - Google Maps? There is a terrain mode.

3. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, but it's either go completely out of my way or go up another steep hill. I'm essentially screwed.

4. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Move to Texas. It's so flat, you can see China on the horizon.

5. JayCizzo

JayCizzo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Drive up the hill and be happy you're still getting over 50mpg. :cool:

6. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unacceptable. I will never quit. I'm squeezing every bit out of this baby as I can. I didn't spend $28,000 for just good fuel economy. I want absurd fuel economy!!! :D

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't give up! I think you will find that there are ways to deal with the situation, but it will take some research and trial and error. A lot of it comes down to management of kinetic energy, and understanding how the car works. First thing, if you can approach the bottom of the hill at a good clip, then slowly bleed off speed as you climb that will help. That may let you keep the ICE from revving into a less efficient range by reducing the power required. Try to make sure you are out of your warm up cycle before you climb the hill. In general people try to avoid using battery energy, but if you can hit the bottom with a near full battery and then use electric boost to help you up the hill (as long as you don't completely deplete it before the top) you may end up better off. The idea there is the inefficiency of charging and discharging the battery may be less than the inefficiency of having the ICE shift up into a high RPM range to get you up the hill. You may also find it pays to take different routes going up the hill and coming back down.

I am far from an expert on the subject, but here is one of my personal examples/observations. I have a friend who lives about 10 miles away, at about 500' higher altitude from my house. The main climb is right in the middle of the trip. There are two routes I can use, one freeway, one on surface streets. After trying a number of different things, I have found that I can often get better round trip mileage going to his house than I do just driving around town! I take the steeper freeway route on the way up, as it seems like just getting up over the hill fairly quickly is the best thing. I pick up speed to about 70mph coming into the foothills, and then slowly bleed off speed back to 55-60mph over the course of the climb. there are some flatter spots in which I try to pick speed back up rather than easing off the accelerator. I try to keep the ICE from revving up too much, and try to keep the instantaneous MPGs >30mpg at all times. Hobbit has shown this to keep the ICE in its more efficient RPM band at highway speeds, below this the ICE revs high and efficiency drops off quickly. I usually arrive at my friends house with about 45mpg for the one way trip, with the flats at the top and bottom helping reduce the damage done on the climb. Coming back down I take the more gradual surface street route. This is ~40 mph the whole way, and spreads the down slope over a much larger portion of the trip. I glide as much as possible, cruise in Hobbit's recommended 75mpg and less range when the ICE is needed to keep it in an efficient operating range, and usually make it home with over 70mpg for that one way. In contrast coming down the freeway route I usually only get about 55mpg one way. So overall for the roundtrip I average about 60mpg by my preffered route, vs. about 50mpg for the straight highway route.

I'm not exactly sure what that happens, but it says to me the hills don't have to be a bad thing. The ICE is at its most efficient under load, so if done correctly going up hill can actually help improve ICE efficiency. You will burn more energy overall going up, but you have to treat that hill as an energy storage device. If you then make the best possible use of that stored energy coming down it seems to me that you can end up better off from an overall efficiency standpoint compared to a flat trip.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your findings!

Rob

8. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, thanks for the post! :)

I guess I should have mentioned this one caveat: There is a traffic light at the bottom of the hill. There are also three stop signs going up the hill. That's my main issue. What I'm going to have to do is try to run parallel at the bottom and find a hill that has no stops. I think I know of one, so that would be my best bet! You're absolutely right, though and it's given me a new strategy. Not to avoid the hill, but to find the RIGHT hill! :)

50 miles into this tank and I'm at 63mpg still. Hopefully a new hill will keep it in the mid 50's by the end of the tank. This is also my first full tank with the 40/38 psi...

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you keep the RPM in check on the way up, and baby your regen
    on the way down, you should do fine. My roadtrip last month
    included going over the Rockies and random sidetrips up gravel
    country roads and I still turned a real-life 57.something average
    for the whole deal.
    _H*

10. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The main issue is that I have to stop completely three times on the way up...

11. pekoe1111

pekoe1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To compare apples to apples, you must compare your mileage to what you were driving before. In my case it was a Subaru Outback, which averaged 21 mpg. On your hill it would have probably gotten 16 mpg!

12. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just moved here, so I have no comparison. My Mazda6 got under 20mpg, so I can't imagine it would've been good.

Anyway, I drove perpendicular to the hill for about 2 miles then found a street that went up the entire hill with no stops and zero traffic. I was able to get up the whole thing averaging about 30mpg. When I arrived at work, my energy consumption screen was at 60.1mpg. So I lost about 8 mpg, but I imagine I'd be in the mid 50's at best if I took the normal route.

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We too have an unavoidable hill just two miles from our house and it's 2 miles long with an 800 foot elevation. The good news is we have to go down the hill to get home. There's no way we make up 100% on the way down for what we lost on the way up - but it comes close. Our hill climb is on a freeway without any stop signs; I think the stop signs are your biggest problem.

Glad to hear you found an alternate route.

I also drive a 37 mile route every couple of weeks (bypassing the big hill) and that route is a slight climb most of the way from sea level to about 1,200 foot. With careful driving I can actually arrive at my destination with an increase in fuel consumption average. The way back is another story; The Prius is averaging over 75mpg on the return trip. Quite a car!

14. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Assuming that you are coming back down the evil hill, you should be recovering some of that energy. You claim that going up the hill is costing you 16 mpg per tank. What is coming back down the hill saving you per tank? The difference is what the evil hill is actually costing you and is probably less than 16 mpg per tank.

15. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The hill zig zags so much that you have to hold down the brakes the entire way down. Basically I have to go down the whole thing at about 20mpg. It's just awful. At least my battery is green at the end haha.

16. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In that case, the regenerative charging, of the drive battery, through the braking, should be recapturing alot the the energy used to go up the hill, thus making up for the lower mpg to go up the hill. It will never be 100%, but it can be significant and is how the Prius increases it's miles per gallon.

17. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I call BULL! I've lived in West Texas, and it ain't flat! Not especially hilly, but definitely not flat.

Western KS - now THAT'S FLAT!

And, just to prove it - scientific research:

Kansas Is Flatter Than a Pancake

http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html

18. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm considering just taking the highway to work and taking the back roads home.

Over 100 miles into my tank and I'm at 56.5mpg. Could inflating my tires from 32/30 to 40/38 have helped that much?

19. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Point to remember. As long as your trip or trips end up where you started, round trip, your uphills will aways equal your downhills, since you will always end up at the same altitude. Your grades may be different, but total enegry expended to get you up any hills will also be generated coming back down any hills regardless of grade. The regenerative braking will capture some of that downhill energy in your battery for later use. The rest will be lost in heat, brakes, spinning the ICE, etc. The grade and length of the downhills will have an effect on how much of the energy you can capture as well as the uphills will determine the energy requirements for the climb. If you are trying to determine the most efficient routes, check your mpg up the various routes and, seperately, down the various routes. You can then determine if there is significant difference worth making a choice in routes. Good luck. Let us know if check it out.

20. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I took the highway to work this morning. The MPG didn't come close to what I got minus the hill on the backroads, but very similar when the full trip is taken into account. Plus, I saved 10 minutes even with a couple traffic jams. Going east on the highway after work last night, I was able to get 60-99+mpg for the vast majority of the 15 mile drive (I took a pic of the consumption screen, it was pretty darn impressive).

I'm still sitting at 56mpg. 4mpg better than my best tank. I can't complain. I have one more alternate route to try out before I say I've exhausted all possibilities.