1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Hybrid Doctor Refurbed HV Battery for $800?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tetsuooooooooo, Feb 12, 2024.

1. tetsuooooooooo

tetsuooooooooo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found a hybrid shop not too far from me that offers refurbed HV batteries with a 2 year warranty and only for $800. Should I be skeptical? Any red flags to be worried about? Reviews look good on Google. The link to their website here

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I look at their website, the HV battery with one year warranty is $749, and the two year warranty is $899.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only thing to be aware of is that the odds are against you with a refurb. if it fails, do they come to you?
    can you put up with downtime?
    there's no way we can tell you anything except that refurbs usually result in warranty replacement until the warranty runs out.
    some people do get lucky though.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a crapshoot

5. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long have they been in business? I have been very happy mostly with the refurbs in this price range. Only one of 4 started to decline after a year. The rest are performing well, we don't intend our cars to last more than 5 years at this point so I am happy with the decision.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah that's what's his name's place up there in Fairfax Virginia I actually know him pretty good He's a pretty astute fellow He is from the Dominican Republic as is most of his crew I have been to his physical location all refurbed batteries are a crap shoot just like refurbed anything is a crap shoot brake master cylinders whatever it is you're buying My experience with the guy has been stellar so far I bought a battery for a generation 3 that was in real bad shape and that car has spent a lot of time sitting and driving and the battery health seemingly is still excellent and the car runs just fine as far as the battery and HV system goes I think he also did a generation two for one of the cars I had He will come to me in North Carolina although he only gets up here about once a month maybe twice if it's real busy up this way generally I would go to him I'm in Durham North Carolina going to Fairfax Virginia I have a brother in Bethesda Maryland so sometimes I just make a couple of day trip out of it. But since then I found an astute battery rebuilder 30 mi from me and I bought three batteries from him and he's done very excellent work so far I even had a problem with one of his batteries and he wanted to come here and change it out but I just met him up at his place because I was already up in that area and I already had everything uncovered and ready to go swap the battery out and about 20 minutes tops and went all my way had the isolation issue fault since then the car stays mostly in the green which I've never seen in any of these things so there are many ways to skin this cat but if you're not on top of the Prius game or whatever you want to call it You may not find it so given your location I would say go and talk to I think his name is Eduardo gosh I hope I got that right I'm not sure but a lot of times he's not even there He spends a lot of time out in the field even though he's the owner they run four or five generation twos and you'll see a few generation threes around his place nearly completely stripped dashes and everything out of them Good luck.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1 to bisco

What is their refurb process?

What are the exact terms of their warranty? (Do you have to pay for a diagnosis? How about towing? Does it cover only the pack, or the pack and labor?)

So get 2-3 years out of a refurb, some only 2-3 weeks.

Are you "OK" if the battery goes out someplace inconvenient (like the supermarket parking lot)?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No to most of the above that's why in my daily driver the car that I depend on there is a new Toyota battery these other three cars that we just fooled around with and drive as we want I have refurbs and three of them they all seem to be fine they've all passed the three-week mark easily and we're heading into a year on one and months on the other and the guy that builds them is local to me and seems to be a really nice guy I had a problem with one and was worked out in an hour. So I guess where I'm located and things going on everything seems to be okay and so far none of those things have happened in the refurbed vehicles One of the vehicles I bought from a tow lot has a green tech or a green bean battery in it right now that I'm driving almost daily and it seems to be doing well it's over 3 years old I think the date is on it.

9. tetsuooooooooo

tetsuooooooooo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not go with a Green Bean battery instead? For $1624? Or better to go OEM for $1600?

10. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OEM HV battery is the way to go if you plan to keep your car for two or more years.

11. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have consistently seen over 2 years from refurbs done by local people. I don't know about the failure process for others, but on our cars it was a slow very visible process. Battery life used to be a concern for us, not any more. Just drive it and watch the screen for battery level and discharge pattern once in a while. If it makes you feel better buy a new factory one, the price difference is better than being concerned when using the car.