1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Hybrid Puzzle

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #1480 – The Hybrid Puzzle, New Era of Audi Design, Fender Benders Becoming More Expensive – Autoline Daily

The problem is a little more complex because it is also a function of inventory. When I was shopping last year, I found an MKZ hybrid with the options I wanted but they wanted $50,000 for it. But this is consistent with the attached study. From Table 22, pp. 16:

Main reason for not getting a hybrid for the current vehicle (%)
    Main reason Females Males Combined
    1 Have not considered hybrids at all 31 35 33
    2 More expensive initially 32 23 28
    3 More Expensive in the long run 8 10 9
    4 Concerns about the reliability 4 6 5
    5 Other reasons 25 26 25

The MKZ 'price' excuse is gone for 28% of the survey and the MKZ was only 30% of the sales.

Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    costco gas today: $2.85/gal. wall street nervous, fed: we'll keep buying bonds and lowering interest rates. result: increased suv sales.

Okinawa likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In addition to available inventory, there are still the question of what MKZ buyers are looking for. While its reputation has slipped, Lincoln is still a luxury brand. Performance likely tops fuel efficiency with many potential owners. The V6 does cost more. Considering the MKZ's base 2.0 Ecoboost is the Fusion's V6 option replacement, it is a wonder why it the V6 is still available. A NA engine does give a different performance experience than a turbo one. It is also an option for more, um, 'traditional' customers over a DI turbo or hybrid.

The big difference to consider in comparing the hybrid to ICE sales is that the ICE equipped cars have an AWD option. It simply isn't available on the hybrid.