1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The importance of rotating tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Will B, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Probably out of ignorance, tire rotations have never been a priority for me. My G1 needed oil changes every 3,000 miles which I did religiously, but tire rotating was "meh". I bet I regularly went 10-20K miles before doing it just because it was occasionally offered as part of a bigger maintenance session. For fuel efficiency I made sure wheel alignment was very good and no tires wore noticeably differently than any others.

With the G5, this is now an issue because I'm going to get the nag every 5,000 miles. Do they really need rotating that often? Twice as often as oil changes now? I expect a range of opinions which is fine (just like oil change frequency) and like that folk discuss it nicely here. On oil changes I'm thinking of splitting the difference between the 5K advocates and 10K advocates and doing it every 7K-ish miles. Finding out about the 5K tire rotation nag complicates that. I don't want a nag for 2K miles. If every 5K may be more about Toyota service revenue over usefulness, can I get an OBD2 app to reset the nag myself? If I've been naughty and should be rotating every 5K miles, then I'll likely just change oil at that frequency too.

will

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i rarely rotate mine, just replace when necessary. does that reduce longevity? maybe if they are wearing unevenly.
    but there's a difference between directional and non directional tire rotation as well.

sure, the fronts tend to wear faster, which can be replaced, or moved to the back with new on the front.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Rarely rotated the tires on my G4 Two Eco and the stock tires lasted 45k miles, I think.

4. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I never rotate mine.
    When the front gets worn out, Two new tires go at the back and the back tires go to the front.

5. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I started being pretty conscientious regarding tire rotation when we were driving a heavy duty truck and pulling a large travel trailer: a full set of tires was costing us nearly $2K! It was surprising how much longer the tires lasted. Now the Prius is significantly lighter than the truck and trailer, but considering that 5k interval also calls for a brake inspection and the tires need to be removed to do that, I kind of feel it falls under “duh”.
    As far as opinions on OCI, I would suggest checking out The Petroleum Institute of America to educate yourself so you are making your choice on facts instead of opinions (API is another good source). Even the Car Care Nut is (in my opinion, FWTW) an educated source backed by evidence, for deciding what intervals are appropriate for you.

6. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks @bisco, @CooCooCaChoo, @The Tramp, and @Doug McC.
    At least now I know I'm not an outlier!

I do enjoy Car Care Nut and his show got me considering more frequent oil changes, wonder if he has anything on tire rotating.

On brake inspections, I got them inspected a lot on my G1, I gave it away at 220K miles still with the original brakes! I guess that is a good indicator of how good I was at using regenerative braking.

Now leaning toward finding out how to kill the nag, but have 5,000 miles to figure it out (and no 5,000 mile road trips coming up soon).

will

7. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I too follow the Car Care Nut but my brother in law is a tyre dealer.

And he told me that ereytime you rotate the tires, each tire needs to assest in it's new position. Thus wears out fatster till it's properly assesed.
    Plus the better tires better stay at the back, where it needs more grip when braking as the weight moves to the Front.

Even big brands suggest to mount new tires at the rear.
    https://www.tirereview.com/always-install-two-new-tires-on-the-rear-axle/
    Every day - 2 tires to change | Michelin The tire digest

bisco likes this.
  8. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I too follow the Car Care Nut but my brother in law is a tyre dealer.

And he told me that ereytime you rotate the tires, each tire needs to assest in it's new position. Thus wears out fatster till it's properly assesed.
    Plus the better tires better stay at the back, where it needs more grip when braking as the weight moves to the Front.

Even big brands suggest to mount new tires at the rear.
    https://www.tirereview.com/always-install-two-new-tires-on-the-rear-axle/
    Every day - 2 tires to change | Michelin The tire digest

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Flat earther alert above!

Rotating tires does make a difference. A big difference since most tire wear from driving is on the front. I routinely get 80k-100k miles on my tires.

Second, oil change frequency does help. If nothing else it eliminates fuel dilution contaminates. The only reason to stretch oil changes is cost, especially these days at $79 a change.

Doing it yourself with $23 worth of Mobil 1 and $10 worth of filters and supplies means you can do it at 5k intervals and save money. Even more if you change your own engine, battery and cabin filters.

Doug McC likes this.
  10. zeng

zeng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I've abandoned periodical tire rotation practice decades ago.

It does not prolong tire life as often claimed, instead it 'overshadows/hides' alignment errors if any.

11. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    @The Tramp, @rjparker, and @zeng: Thanks, as mentioned at the top I wasn't expecting universal agreement on the topic which is normal and good. I'm mulling it over and still have 4,950 miles before I have to decide! :)

My Blutooth-to-OBD2 adapter arrives this weekend and another data point in the decision is if I can reset the nag myself.

will

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only maintenance nags in my Gen 3 are the configurable ones (for things like tire rotation) that can all be reset via the touch screen, and the generic "hey it's been 5,000 miles" one that is reset by holding certain buttons while powering the car on.

I'd be surprised if the Gen 5 required OBD-II nonsense to reset any of that. (But I've been surprised before.)

Doug McC and Will B like this.
  13. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    @ChapmanF: Ooh, that is good to know about the G3 allowing a simpler nag reset. I hope that is possible with the G5 too, that would be nice. it is annoying that the nag just says "Maintenance required, contact your dealer" and nothing more specific. Given it is a new car I'm not yet confident it is just a nag and not something that might actually need attention. More to learn! Thanks for the hint.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda has “Maintenance Minder”, much more useful:

1. Appears to monitor various factors, counts down in 10% increments to next service.

2. When service is imminent displays a code that you can decipher with the Owners Manual, giving specifics as to what needs doing.

MyGarage

I’d say also, their Shop Manuals were (and hopefully still are) a breath of fresh air compared to Toyota’s Repair Manuals. Opening chapter lists maintenance items, with reference to the page where the maintenance is described in detail. Go to that page and you’ll find a matching title, and instruction specific to that maintenance. Toyota manual writers could learn a lot from them.

Jabog6 likes this.
  16. I Throw 99

I Throw 99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I used to neglect tire rotations as well when I was younger. Then I moved to an area that gets snow in the winter, and suddenly it became important to me for all of my tires to wear evenly. Ever since then, I rotate my tires with every oil change, which makes it easy to do.

17. priusdriver223

priusdriver223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Hey there, personally I've never rotated tires. I'd like to mention that all my cars have been AWD/4WD whatever you'd like to call it, I'm sure most people would care less but I do not rotate my tires on my cars due to the fact that they are AWD. If I'm not mistaken, AWD vehicles often states that when changing tires, changing all 4 is the recommended way because not changing all 4 could hinder traction control and stability control since you have mismatching tread wear on your tires. I could be wrong, but I replace all my tires everytime. Cheers!

samsprius1 likes this.
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gen 4 has Maintenance intervals in the MFDs settings that can be manually setup by the owner and /or have a servicing dealer setup so reminders on the MFD direct to that dealer. All setting are optional even if the dealer sets them up pre delivery. ATM, I have the engine air filter minder show up every time I start the car and 1 touch on the MFD turns it off and switches back to the MFDs default screen. If multiple items are set to the same date it might take more than 1 touch on he MFD to switch them off until the owner or dealer resets the items date(/s). .

#18 vvillovv, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    avocadoman1 likes this.
  19. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I try to time tire wear so that I only rotate once. The calculation is easy. If you're planning on wearing the tires down from 10/32 to 2/32 of an inch, rotate when the combined wear is 8/32 of an inch (or average tread left is 6/32 front + rear). And they should both hit 2/32" at about same time.

20. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have no idea what a G5 has, but G4 has a simple reminder reset function in the Vehicle Settings menus accessed by steering wheel arrows. It's in the same section as TPMS reset.