1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The inability to be able to interrogate the GPS while the Prius is moving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sprinter316, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Sprinter316

Sprinter316 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello to all in the hybrid community, my name is Séamus and I'm living in Dublin Ireland. I have a Toyota Prius 07 model with all the bells and whistles. I would be most grateful if someone could answer one of the most frustrating things I find with the Toyota Prius.

When you were are travelling/Moving there is a built-in feature that prevents one from interrogating the on-board computer and GPS. I have been using Garmin GPS unit's for many years. When you first activate a Garmin unit it automatically has the safety feature on, which prevents you from interrogating the GPS while your vehicle is moving, but this safety feature is easily turned off. Can someone please tell me if it is possible to turn this off and if so how do I do this?

Anxiously awaiting a reply
    Séamus :confused:

2. Buckland

Buckland New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Séamus,
    I don't think you will be able to disable that feature. I think Toyota fears they may be liable if anyone is involved in an accident while trying to interrogate their GPS system. My wife finds it very troubling when she wants to look at something while we are moving and can't. But having said that, I still really love my car.

Buck