1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The infamous dashboard rattle back again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FredWB, Jul 4, 2005.

1. FredWB

FredWB New Member

My dashboard rattle started up sometime after that wonderful gas tank/gage fix. It was so wonderful to go from 7.8-8.2 to 8.0-8.5 gallons per fillup!!! The whole dash gradually started clunking everytime I hit a moderate bump. I had it fixed 3 weeks ago and it was good for a week until it came back.

Seems they put this black sticky putty everywhere they could between parts of the display and the large front plastic dash section. I'm assuming they had to get the dash section out to do this. Anyone else with the same issue? The pieces of putty up on the display can be seen and they are in back of the clear plastic piece in the picture.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I subscribe to the if it ain't broken don't fix it philosophy, so I'm not doing any optional upgrades to my Prius. I have had the dashboard rattle for a long time but it's tolerable with 36/34 tire pressure. Are you pumping the tires to 42/40?

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Fred.. The dashboard rattle you are talking about, is it really a rattle or a creeking type of noise? Is it more prononuced when the car has been sitting in the sun for some time and the top of the dash is really hot or does it happen when cool to the touch??

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FredWB\";p=\"103988)</div>

4. FredWB

FredWB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blkc5\";p=\"104007)</div>
    Hi Brian. I was easily able to demonstrate the "rattle" to the tech by lightly tapping the dash in the display area. It rattles hot or cold and it's a very noticeable knock that you can prevent by putting some pressure on the display area, so it's between those two. That's why they tried the putty I guess. But the putty is so viscoelastic that one good bump and the noise was back.

The squeaks are another matter. I've had them from almost day one and they do vary with the temperature of the day. Both tiny side dash panel under the small frt windows were dealer fixed at one point. Most of the normal squeaks are from around the center of the car I think.

The mirror assy squeaks loudly if to grab it to adjust it and sometimes it will resonate as well at just the right speed. I have to grab it once to stop it and then it's ok for awhile. It's the auto dimming one.

As far as tire pressure goes, I have run 42/40 but because of the rattles and freeway wandering issues, I've been running 35/33. And I'm running Hydroedge tires, much stiffer.

I'm all for not fixing something if it's not broken but a rattle means something is "broken" right? But you are correct about the assumption that the more I get fixed the more that appears to break, lol. I've never had much faith in snap fits for parts that need to be unsnapped a couple of times or more. Ideally they should not have to be taken apart.

5. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the display rattle for a long time. I wedged some surgical tubing between the clear display plate and the small upper section of dashboard. I helped a lot, but it will still come back occasionally. It seems to be temperature related. I think (but I haven't paid enough attention to be sure) that it rattles more after sitting in the sun.
    I run my tires at 38 36, so maybe I'll try backing them off a bit.

6. FredWB

FredWB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave\";p=\"104143)</div>
    The dealer did inject something up there. No quite like RTV but stiffer than the putty used elsewhere. But if the display is loose below that it seems to just rotate about that upper dash piece and make plastic to plastic contact.

I got in my wife's 2003 RSX and I noticed immediately that it had a similar sound much to my dismay. She was just ignoring it and cranking the DVD to to cover it. It was a kick panel on the passenger side where a snap fit had come loose. It was dangling with each bump so that the snap hit another plastic structure...plastic to plastic. That took all of 3 sec to fix!!! Wish this one was that easy. Now I have this terrible putty everywhere and it's very messy to remove. It's like the stuff they used to can "pokey" putty, used for auto glass installation and sealing yrs ago...maybe still.

7. rocco

rocco Member

I haven't kept up so I 'm not sure what the "infamous dashboard rattle" refers to. I have a rattle which seems like its coming right from the JBL (package 5) speaker - driver side. I hold down everything in the vicinity but have not been able to pinpoint it.

I wonder if its my dash too

8. FredWB

FredWB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rocco\";p=\"104236)</div>
    It's a bit of a stretch but if you can reach out to the display area when it's rattling and hold that you can see if it's the same thing. With my car, I can even rap on the dash with my knuckles near the display and by touching the display area at the same time, make the rattle go away. Rapping on the passenger side does not produce any rattle at all.

My sqeaks or creaks sound like they're coming from the center of the dash and are a much different sound. They usually get worse with higher temperatures too and I sometimes don't hear them when it's cold.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the most annoying rattle, coming from the dashboard area for the last few days. Every time I drove over an expansion joint, a bump or rough road surface, a loud sound emanated from an area ranging from the small window in the A post through the instrument panel to the center speaker.

After a couple days of enduring this, I was ready to head to the dealer. But, first I stopped the car and methodically investigated by banging gently at different areas of the dashboard. All to no avail.

As I closed the driver's door, I heard it again. I started opening and shutting the door while simultaneously listening carefully narrowing down the possible source. I finally found it. The sliding cover of the vanity mirror was not shut firmly over the detent which keeps it in the closed position.

Sounds sure echo strangely in the Prius.

10. FredWB

FredWB New Member

yes you're right there. Had a pair of sunglasses in the ceiling storage rattling once. And they had to replace a seat belt in the back that was rattling. My large dashboard piece squeaks at the touch so that's a big source of my problems. I think I'm going to have to tear everything apart one day and fix it myself

11. plantz

plantz Junior Member

I have a rattle that sometimes comes from the left side of the dashboard, sometimes from the right. After much pushing, pulling, rapping, etc., I think that the plastic pieces the cover the A pillars rattle. I suspect that they rattle against the metal of the pillars themselves. The sounds tend to come and go with temperature.

I wonder if anyone has had these plastic pieces checked.

Bob

12. dupreesdiamond

dupreesdiamond Junior Member

I had a rattle for a couple of days that had me ready to go to the dealer, turned out it was the little plastic "Tampered with of broken" ring on a water bottle in the cup holder. Never even sounded like it came from that area. Who knew that something that tiny could be that loud.

I have almost 20K miles on my '05 (picked up in March) with no rattles or squeeks from the dash, even had it removed a-while ago (the dash) for the Sirrius radio install and still no rattles.

I hope to never hear any of the rattles you all describe it would drive me crazy.

To the original poster, did the Dealer screw up the dash? I mean if something the dealer did caused the glass plate to be loose seems to me like they broke something (I mean why would it rattle? did the glass get smaller?) and replacing whatever they broke (even if it means replacing the entire dash piece) is the correct action not "glueing" it in place. And certainly not marring the display with putty.