1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

THE INFLUENCE GAME: Toyota's powerful DC friends

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a1a1a1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    THE INFLUENCE GAME: Toyota's powerful DC friends - Yahoo! News

"Some members of Congress have been such cheerleaders for Toyota that the public may wonder how they can act objectively as government watchdogs for auto safety and oversight. The company's executives include a former employee of the federal agency that is supposed to oversee the automaker."

2. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Whooppee. Ok welcome to the way the US Government has been run for 220 years. The US Gov't is the political and military arm of the business interests of the nation.

Since Toyota has about 18-20% of the US auto industry sales, by spending only 10% it's actually being way under-represented in the lobbying field.

Your hate campaign is having a hard time getting off the ground. I hope that you're not a pilot in real life. This thread's goin' nowhere. /thread

6. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Exactly! Toyota is the third biggest auto lobbiest in Washington. They quintupled spending on lobbying in ten years. What effect does lobbying have except to buy favors and keep the heat off? I think the money would have been better spent in product testing and development, like the old Toyota. If I wanted to buy from a company that acted like GM and Ford, I would have done just that.

The Toyota we respected and admired is acting like just another auto manufacturing behemoth, except they are headquartered overseas and won't support a unionized workforce. Toyota didn't make the Prius because it was the right thing to do, they made a smart long-term business investment. And, we don't have to hold them on a pedestal that they plainly jumped off of.

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You act as if you woke up to this reality in the last month or two. Toyota has been here in force since the 80's. I'm sorry if you're disappointed. It's the way business is done. It's the way government and business interact.

DING!!!! "...and they won't support a unionized workforce...." Hmmmm that certainly sounds like a sentiment that might originate from...uhhh....uhhh...wait, wait...I got it....Detroit.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not having ever owned a Toyota before, I didn't buy based on the admiration pedestal you speak of. I bought because I'm done with traditional non-hybrids, and Toyota's offering fit me the best. If either of Ford's excellent hybrids fit me better, I'd have returned to the Ford family. The same applies to Honda's one excellent hybrid. Or even their merely good one.

Even with this wart, my Prius is unquestionably the safest car my household has or ever had. If DW would part with her old deathtrap, I'd buy her one tomorrow.

Especially if selling prices are down.

Returning to topic -- it appears that Toyota needs to double its DC lobbying expenditure to get its fair share of Washington's favors. Maybe more, as it doesn't have the 'grassroots' union support to magnify its efforts.

10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota Has Hired Additional Lobbyists, Lawyers, and PR Experts To Focus On Washington...

"Behind the scenes, the besieged carmaker is trying to learn all it can about congressional investigations, maybe even steer them if it can."

"In Washington, facing congressional inquiries and government investigations, Toyota through its lawyers and lobbyists is working full-speed to salvage its reputation. The confidential strategy -- Toyota will..."

"Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich, said Toyota representatives visited his offices seeking to learn all they could. "They're probing us. 'What are you going to ask us, where are you going with this whole thing?'" said Stupak, who is chairman of a House subcommittee looking into Toyota's problems."

"Toyota, which reported spending more than $4 million on lobbying last year, declined to discuss details of its plans. The company has "beefed up our team" by hiring additional lobbyists, lawyers and public relations experts to "work with regulators and lawmakers collaboratively towards a successful recall effort, ensuring proper, diligent compliance," spokeswoman Cindy Knight said in an e-mail to The Associated Press."

Toyota seeks damage control, in public and private - Yahoo! Finance

1 person likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I.e. they are PR/DC neophytes. No wonder this has ballooned all out of proportion, compared to Detroit's defects.

Fortunately for them, though not for us as customers, the lobbyist, legal, and PR industries are already very well versed in the auto industry expertise they are seeking.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    About time!

Since following the "Bell the Hybrid" nonsense, I realized that Dave McCurdy's "Auto Alliance" has been the biggest ripoff of Toyota since Richard McCune, the bitter, ex-Toyota lawyer. The "Auto Alliance" along with the "Center For Automotive Research" have taken Toyota's money and used it to stab them in the back and that is the nicest thing I can say about those two 'institutions.'

I've been in the room when the "Auto Alliance" quoted Donald Rumsfeld's nonsense about "unknowns." I have read "Auto Alliance" testimony supporting the "Bell the Hybrid" nonsense. This organization will do everything it can to hurt hybrids or any non-gas vehicle. I don't trust them at all.

As for "Center For Automotive Research," I'm pretty sure they gave CNW Marketing the nonsense numbers used in the "Dust-to-Dust" report. So how's that Hummer working out for you CNW Marketing?

BTW, I understand corporations can donate to political campaigns. IMHO, Toyota ought to donate to some the Detroit politicians ... say a week before their next election ... with a public advertisement. Spank 'em good!

Bob Wilson