1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the "jolt"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fred, Apr 16, 2005.

1. fred

fred New Member

as all us prii owners know every once in a while we get the "jolt" when the ice kicks out or in or whateveer. once you are used to it its no big deal. i was wondering, however what the heck that jolt is doing to the motor mounts and is it going to break them prematurely. i dont know about everyone else but sometimes that jolt is almost a kck and will get your passengers attention!

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have 29,000 miles on my car and have never experienced a jolt. I have never had the sensation of even half of what an automatic transmission shift feels like. I think you should have this fixed. It is rare that a passenger can tell me when my engine is on even if I ask them to.

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only thing I've experienced close to what you're describing is when I'm in EV mode and get up to 42 MPH. At that speed the ICE has to spin (but not necessarily run) to keep MG1 under 10K RPM. I wouldn't describe the sensation as a jolt, but for a car with no shift points, it does kind of feel like an automatic transmission shifting gears.

If you're describing something else, I would agree that a dealer visit is in order.

4. CHART

CHART Member

Uhhhhhhh, I'm not ready to send Fred to his dealer, but I'm not ready to say he is imagining things either ;) I've had my 04 for 16 months now and while I do not think I have any major shimmy problems, I would say that once a week or so, particularly when I am slowing to a stop or have just recently started the car, I get a noticable shimmy with my shake. Noticable to me anyway. But I don't think anything is wrong.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, not infrequently, experience what I'd call a shudder as the ICE starts or stops. It's never bad enough that I'd have any concern about engine mounts or anything like that.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

Yeah, there's definately a shudder, or slight jolt, or whatever term you want to use. I suggest Fred try going back into a "regular" car, perhaps a mid 90s American vehicle with 100k+ on it, and turn it over, and compare that to the 'jolt' he mentions. I myself tend to quickly forget how rough all other cars are on their engines to the point of overly worrying about this car. You have to be reminded sometimes that it's all relative. :)

-m.

7. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've noticed a few minor jolts and shudders, still less than your typical automatic transmission. Wher it is most noticable is as I crest a hill at cruising speed and the car transitions from power to coast/regen.
    I think the sudden shocl loads here are WAY less than typical loads on a manual transmition car. Sudden throttle transitions with a manual tranny are much harsher on the mounts and drivetrain than anything the Prius system hands out. I'm not worried.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i always equated that shudder to "dieseling" type of feeling and it seems to only happen when the car is cold. i have frequently felt the car was undecided as to whether it wanted to shut down or keep idling. some times it will idle roughly for a revolution and shut down and other times it will idle for 3-4 turns or more before shutting down. but i dont feel that its a problem.

i wonder if it has anything to do with the gas around here? (we have E10 here)

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the normal idle speed on the Prius ICE is about 1020 RPM and when the ICE goes to shut down it drops down to about 925 RPM, this is when the compression ratio is dropped to it lowest value and then as the ICE stops MG1 reverses rotation if it car is moving. If the car is stopped the ICE and MG1 both stop rotating and that is when the shut down becomes less noticeable as the kinetic energy is almost balanced, but at low speed I think the "shudder" is MG1 reversing rotation. That is a fair chunk of metal to stop rotating one direction and rotate the opposite direction. There is a dampener on the drive plate on the ICE to help alleviate the pulses caused by the ICE stopping getting transmitted to the planet carrier in the PSD.

10. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Frank-
    I believe you are right and way to go figuring it out. Brilliant.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Frank. you gotta admit that having that diagnotics scanner is a huge help in figuring out what the car is doing. hope you bring it to the Lacey Spring Fair

12. Frank Hudon

yup, scanner and me will be at the fair.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've only noticed it when the ICE is cold. Once the ICE is at operating temp, especially now that the temps are +15 C to +20 C, the shutdown is almost imperceptible.

If I go for a drive somewhere after an hour or so at Trans Canada speeds then I can't even feel the ICE shutdown.

14. fred

fred New Member

you know it probably would have helped if i had said that the jolt normally occurs at idle rather than while tooling down the road. im still thinking that "smiley" is normal and not some deviate prius (thank you very much!) i hardly ever experience the jolt at any speed.

15. Frank Hudon

the car will be a lot more "shuddery" when cold, like my self. First shut down always seems a bit rougher than when it's up to normal operating temp. As far as this damaging any of the mounts I doubt it in the extreme. With the exception of the 6 and 7 series V6 powered Toyota forklifts, Toyota seems to have designed good motor mounts.

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

When it shudders at a stop, that's a good time to tell a passenger that you are out of gas. Then when it is time to go, say "gee, guess I still had gas left".

17. fred

fred New Member

dan, dan, dan...tsk, tsk. and i thought you were such a nice guy. (great idea though!!!!!)

18. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

I've had the shudder many times when I first got the car but that always happened at the first stop sign of the morning. It has been happening less as the car gets broken in. Now for the jolt. I will sometimes get the jolt where the car lunges slightly forward and I'm in park. I'm usually just sitting there looking for something ect. and out of the blue it lunges forward. Anyone else experience this?

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaShark\";p=\"82239)</div>
    Your Prius is aggressive, and wants blood. BLOOD :mrgreen:

I've never experienced that. When my Prius is in PARK, the emergency brake is almost always on -- which may explain why I don't feel it.

If I'm stopped at a light, with the car in D and my foot on the brake, I will get the slight rocking/shaking if the engine hasn't warmed up, and won't stop. But that's about it.

20. fred

fred New Member

lol bookrats! :lol: