1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The key fob is machine washable!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NewType, Jul 11, 2005.

1. NewType

NewType New Member

:oops: Ok, it wasn't so much of a *testing*, and I don't know where I should post it so I'll do it here.

Today, I didn't check my cloths and pocket, and put everything in the washing machine. After the wash cycle is finished, I put everything into the dryer.

Then I decided to go shopping. I search for my key and it wasn't on the bookshelf! Where did it go?? The worst scenario was happening; the loud periodic *cranking* noise was the proof of it! The key was washed and dried for at least 30 minutes (and it doesn't look to bad because it was in the pocket the whole time).

Yes, as the topic suggested, the key works fine!! I suppose I have done a service to this community by *testing* how well constructed the key fob is! :wink:

Please wave to your fellow Prius driver when you see one on the road! :wave: I met a few Prius drivers during the trip up to Canada and we waved!

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Yup! I manage to wash my fob about once every three weeks or so...........................whether it needs it or not. :lol:

Got to be careful now, though. I bought a leather case for it and I doubt that it will hold up in the wash as well as the fob does.

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have also tested leaving the fob out in the rain. Still works fine.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    call me chicken if you like but for this purpose, i will elect to not continue testing and take your word for it. and yes "murphy" is my middle name

5. bayareapriusdriver

bayareapriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's been a few years since anyone posted about this, but...

My 2008 key fob went thru a wash cycle last night. Tested it this morning and it still works.

Phew!

I gotta say, I'm pretty amazed.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I only now dared to try mine after taking it into Lake Monroe with me yesterday. I didn't want to push any buttons before giving it a chance to dry, so I used only the mechanical key (G1) the rest of the day yesterday and for the drive home. But I tried the fob just now and it seems fine.

-Chap