1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The leased of our troubles

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by tedjohnson, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Economist Magazine notes that many car dealers have seen leasing jump from 25% of their business to 40% since this financial crisis started. No wonder. With uncertainty on future vehicle power sources, uncertainty with vehicle future value, inabiity to use non existent home appreciation as a source of down payment (or purchase price), bank reluctance to loan, car companies have had to resort to good lease deals. I know I have never leased before, but when my dealer did a $199 a month on a 2010 Prius, it seemed like a no brainer - if I like it I keep it with a payment of $15K in 36 months. If something with better gas mileage , or if it depreciates a lot more based on newer technology , or if I just don't like it- I am out. Given the many uncertainties it makes sense. Seems like almost an insurance policy.

2. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Leasing in Southern CA area

LA REGION:
    Lease Penetration Reaches New Highs

Unprecedented lease money factors and amazing payments, along with a consistent advertising message from the Toyota Dealership Association ads and from individual dealerships drove traffic up in August (and continues to do so in September). Lease Penetration in the LA Region reached new highs in August as lease represented 39% of new vehicle sales, which was about a ten-year high.

To put this into perspective, nearly 5000 leases were written in the LA Region last month which compares with an average of about 1500 per month a year ago. As the economy is continuing to improve three years from now, these leases will pay big dividends to LA dealers in the form of a natural source of Toyota customers to put in a new vehicle and an excellent source of used vehicles.

'nuff said.

3. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ted, yep- I am thinking the same. Never leased a car before but just may do it this time around. Now, if I could only find a $199 deal like you got!

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My daughter just leased a 2010 Scion XB for under a $100 a month. Lease deals are out there if you bargin.

5. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Mike, add a little cap reduction to your cash drive offs and you can also have a 199 payment.

Back in March of this year, the II that I got for my son had a 16416 residual. (they used to me $17,300 in May 2009 for the same car)
    Today, that same II car has a $15048 residual. And, my tier 1+ rate was .00075 and today it's .00025.

Make sure when you compare lease payments, you find out when someone got theirs. Residuals have been doing the slow slide (as they always do) ... since the Prius 2010 came out May 29th, 2009, the cars are technically already more than a year old now. Nearly 1.5 years to be creatively exact.

When the first 2010 models made their debut, the V had a $21K residual!! Now, it's 19,131.

And, there were no graciously low rates back then. The buy rates for leasing were .00265 and the interest rates were 5.99 for the best loan.

Things change.
    Just some info you may need to determine that a prior deal isn't the best way to gauge the same deal today!

6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don, how much cash or trade did she add to that calculation?

7. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ted, also how much was your drive off for the $199.

8. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    $2,000 which included the first months lease.