1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Lorax And SUV Ads

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Mar 7, 2012.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not going to presume to know Dr. Seuss's opinions — he died in 1991 — though if he were around, I can only assume he'd express them in limerick form. But the Mazda ad — and really all of The Lorax tie-ins — is an excellent example of what's known as the Prius Fallacy: the idea that choosing more environmentally benign forms of consumption means consumption itself can help save the planet. So we trade in our old truck, buy a Mazda CX-5 and pat ourselves on the back for our environmentally friendly ways. After all, now we're driving a fuel-efficient vehicle — and one that's Truffula tree–approved to boot. But if a slight improvement in miles per gallon barely makes a difference for the climate — and if the lower fuel bill prompts us to drive more — the benefit is negated altogether. As New Yorker writer David Owen put it in his recent book The Conundrum, ads like Mazda's perform the green trick of "reframing luxury consumption preferences as gifts to humanity."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2108368,00.html#ixzz1oR2W7WNJ

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have long pointed out that while we Prius drivers pat ourselves on the back for burning less gas, we're still burning gas. And then there's the really insane habit of some Prius drivers, of selecting a longer route in order to show better MPG figures because of the lower MPG for short trips. And of course the fact that we're willing to spend more money to get a more efficient car, but we're not willing to reorganize our lives to have shorter commutes, or take fewer (or no) trips. IOW, we're willing to spend some money for the environment, but we're not willing to give up any of our energy-consuming habits.

And FWIW, I'm as guilty of this as the next person. Being retired I don't commute, but I travel for pleasure. And I'm no more willing to give up traveling than the next person is to make sacrifices to live closer to work.

Rather than touting how much better the Prius is than an SUV, we need to acknowledge that no car is good. Some are worse than others. The Prius is not as bad as the SUV, but all are bad. (And an SUV used to car-pool five people is less bad than a Prius used by just one.)

3. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The fallacy of the Prius Fallacy is that owning a Prius can also make some people more aware of the environmental impact of driving than they were before.

Not everyone drives it the same way, but I'm sure there are many who have modified their driving habits for the better as a result.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point, I think Dr. Seuss might be spinning in his grave fast enough to be considered an alternative form of renewable energy.

As someone in the early/mid stages of his career (I'm salaried, otherwise I'd have probably repeatedly exceeded federal work hours limitations), I can say that living within walking distance from work has been one of the biggest factors benefiting my career I can think of. It really helps not having to waste time running to and from a faraway apartment/house. Funny thing is that the huge savings from not having to pay for commuting, parking, etc has allowed me to afford having two other cars on top of the Prius (garage queens: I think I put 3000 miles on the other two combined all last year).

I used to commute to one job (about 9 miles each way in Chicago) - I quickly learned that I could ride my road bike and the door-to-door time was ~32 minutes on average while my drive time was 28 minutes (Chicago traffic sucks). However, if I rode the bike I basically removed my hour workout form my schedule (I got a lot faster on the bike too). Amusingly, I got this one (totally hot blonde) chick's phone number when I "raced" her (she was driving an STi) down a residential street (yes, I'll admit a blew through a few stop signs - totally worth it). Wouldn't have happened had I not been on the bike.

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Truffula makes me think of "Day of the Triffids." Classic dystopian sci-fi.

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Lorax would never endorse something that burns Truffula trees (oil).

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model: