1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The magic 42 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nhalber, May 26, 2005.

1. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How does one get to that? The most I have been able to do is around 35+.
    I have 600 miles.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Stop driving 10 miles per trip.

4. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I meant to write 42 MPH, not 42 MPG.

Sorry about that. Actually, I am up to 47 MPG.

5. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you mean accelerate electric only up to 42MPH, it's very difficult. The computer makes it hard on purpose, accelerating with electric gives poor mileage since the engine is better suited to the task, in most cases.

If your engine is warm and your battery has a good state of charge (SOC) but not too hot, not drawing a lot of juice otherwise (no AC or defroster) and you're not going up a hill (downhill is better) and you're VERY gentle, it might let you. If your battery is green it will use the battery far more often, trying to get rid of some excess charge. On the flip side, it's not prone to having the battery green, either!

The system is more apt to let you accelerate with the engine to speed, then cruise with electric. Even then, at 42MPH it'll look for any excuse to restart the engine.

While it may seem frustrating, the software is designed to maximize mileage and only use electric in situations where the engine isn't efficient, since EV mode has a lot of conversion losses to overcome. The EV mode button lets you be a little more aggressive in acceleration and other conditions, but has a lower top speed and other than a few instances, can result in lower MPG.

6. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    yup read the article evan posted. you're mainly still in the break-in period, and probably still 'learning' the different prius driving techniques.

personally, i get 45-47mpg (sometimes less), mainly from 10-15minute trips to work in a hilly neighborhood with lots of stop signs. but when i travel for more than 30minutes, especially on the freeway at 60mph, i get a reading of 50-55mpg. (which is why i have more roadtrips :mrgreen: ). also, tire pressure does play a role in the mpg you'll get so check it regularly.

may the mileage be with you! 8)