1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Magic of the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTouring07, Jul 23, 2007.

1. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

I'm one of those terrible, irresponsible people who always do at least 10 to 15 mph over the limit, floor the gas pedal at take off and on my trips to Cali regularly average 120 mph. Last time I went to LA I took the Dayotna to 146 mph. During Gumball, Bullrun and Cannonball, I've done over 180 mph on the I-15 and thorugh Death Valley. I know, I should be shot, but that's not the point.

The point is that I never thought I could be a responsible driver. Yet, in the Prius I feel absolutely no need to exceed the limit or weave through traffic, take off fast, cut people off, etc.

2. skandale

skandale Member

Oh, I know that feeling.

The car just speaks to you on a completely different level. It's not jazzing you up and trying to get you to "go a little more". You just feel that more relaxed feeling, like there's now rush in the world.

Instead of playing with speed, being allergic to the taillights of other cars, you just want to fight the MPG meter. Another good thing with this is that you don't have to be on the lookout for the police alle the time... :)

Stein

3. brtn422

brtn422 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Jul 23 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]483479[/snapback]</div>

man, i totally agree....i always feel like i'm in a car commercial or something...birds chirping, smiling happy people all around....its pretty ridiculous, i know ;)

4. PriusTouring07

Stein, by the way, why does your profile says Other Non-Hybrid? Just curious :rolleyes:

5. skandale

skandale Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]483484[/snapback]</div>
    Sadly, I'm still waiting for mine. I borrowed a Prius from a local dealer over night (the salesman is married to a colleague of mine). I completely fell for the car. I tested it from Monday to Tuesday and signed a contract on Wednesday. That was early June, with delivery mid September. Had I ordered it today, the estimated delivery would be january or February. The delivery times are going nuts here in Norway.

Now I'm just worried about the delivery time after the quake in Japan. But I guess it would just be a week or two anyway. But having to wait several months for a Prius is torture... :(

6. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Jul 23 2007, 01:28 AM) [snapback]483486[/snapback]</div>
    That's too bad. I was also told I have to wait up to 3 months to get mine because I wanted a Touring with a specific color and option package #6 and at this time there seems to be a limited supply, but was lucky enough to find the exact car I want in San Francisco, so I'm flying there next week and driving it back to Las Vegas.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 22 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]483470[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! And here I though *I* was a leadfoot before my Prius!!!! I always used to exceed the speed limit, but now I pretty much stay at least 1 mph below the posted limit. Must be that good ol' Zen feeling!!

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius seems to do it to everyone.

Tom

9. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just came back from the first trip to the beach in mine. Usually the trip involves constant hurry-up since otherwise it's a 7+ hour drive, and when I get there it's like crossing the finnish line in a race. The previous car had a 15 gallon tank that always needed filling en-route, then once while there, then once on the way back.

With the Prius, the trip both ways was really relaxing. I didn't feel any need to hurry, and even with starting off on half a tank, filled up with less fuel than normal on the way there, and would have just had enough to get all the way back. And after all that, it still only took 6.5 hours each way driving the speed limit, with the MFD showing an increase from 53.8 to 54.4 after the trip.

The best part (aside from the fuel consumption and the comfort) is that it doesn't end up feeling like a race so it's far more relaxing.

Got to make another round-trip to the beach on Tuesday night/Wednesday, and am looking forward to it!

10. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was totally a leadfoot in my last car, and the 6-cyl engine/240hp only encouraged me to be that way. I was deliberately hoping the Prius would reign in my aggressive driving habits, and it sure has! I still find myself as annoyed with stupid drivers as before, but I seldom punch the Prius pedal to get around them now. ;)

If only we could get American men (sorry to stereotype only the guys, but they are probably the majority, in this particular argument...) to think of higher MPG values as being as sexy/macho/whatever, as hp, cubic inches, #cyls, etc. Think how different the roads would be (not to mention the air) if guys sought and received the envy of other guys (and caught the admiring eyes of women) for achieving higher MPG! hehehehe
    Makes me wonder... perhaps we have to start the movement at the grass-roots level... appeal to men on an animal level... do any publishers print the calendars you see in mechanics' garages, you know with the bikini-clad babes, lustfully leaning over a Mustang---only swapping out the muscle car with a Prius?? hahahaha!

11. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While discussing my latest Prius upgrade, my daughter commented "This isn't just a car, it's a project."

This is the first car I have felt that way. I missed out on having a car during adolescence, and since then it has been a series of practical vehicles, a pickup, a van, and 2 minivans. Although I did paste "Dr. Willie's Psychotherpay and Trucking Service" on the side of my '73 Chevy van modified to a camper during my Wanderjahr.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ 2007 July 22 10:57 PM) [snapback]483470[/snapback]</div>
    Magic, eh? Wanna trade for that hemi Superbird? B)

13. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 23 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]483579[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, I think I'll keep it for special occasions! haha ;)

14. local_host

local_host New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jul 23 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]483540[/snapback]</div>

How on God's Green Earth do you average 53+ MPGs??? Do you use the reset button?? Is there any difference in using the reset button or just letting it reset on it's own after a fill-up?

I can't seem to get out of 48.5 no matter HOW effeciently I drive, and I've had the car since February of this year...

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Think of how many billions of barrels of oil would be saved just by having the Prius MPG display in all cars.

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Jul 23 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]483787[/snapback]</div>
    I drive a mixture of city (30 mph) and highway (60 mph), mostly flattish, with the hill I work on top of.
    When you come off a high speed area, like a highway, try to find a spot where you can come to a complete stop. Then, continue on at the lower speed, maximizing your opportunities to glide along, barely touching the pedal, hovering at the speed you want.

Short trips kill MPG with this thing... I have 40 minute trips, to and from work.

Oh, and anything over 60, I can watch my MPG dropping...

17. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, since others are fessing-up, I'll admit I've become a very different driver since I got my Prius last month.

I've always had sporty cars, and drove them fast... or at least as fast as I thought I could get away without getting a ticket (radar detector always on).

But with the Prius, I'm more concerned with scoring good MPG than I am with how fast I go. Seeing how many 75+ bars I can get is a new challenge (hey, another 100. Yippee!). I find driving far more relaxing, and the reality is, it doesn't take appreciably longer to get where I'm going.

My first tank was 48+ MPG, and they've been better ever since; the last couple were over 52. That's based on mileage and refueling amount, not just going by the computer. On my last trip home from the shore, which was just under 60 miles of back roads, the computer said I got 57.4 (I just started that tank, so it will be a blissfully long time before I can verify by another fill-up.)

And, of course, there's always the satisfaction of seeing the look on people's faces when you tell them you can fill up after 500 miles for well under $30. B)

18. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to regularly push the speed limit - "Speedometer error !! Speedometer error !!"

Since owning the Prius, I am always trying to go as close to 42 MPH as I can unless there is traffic behind me.

I think we are witnessing a biofeedback phenomenon. The mere presence of the MPG and engine readouts is enough to make us pay attention to them.

19. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Jul 23 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]483787[/snapback]</div>
    My best tank was 56.6 MPG I think.

The best technique is to try to hit all the lights green maintaining as much speed as possible (like if you see a red light ahead, slow down early and coast instead of speeding to the light and hitting the brakes, losing your momentum), drive 5 under the speed limit on highways, and pulse and glide whenever possible.

Also, figure out which routes give you the best mileage.

20. local_host

local_host New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jul 23 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]483828[/snapback]</div>

Do you have many road ragers tailgating you, cutting you off, aggresively passing, etc.? DO YOU USE THE RESET BUTTON? Are you driving mostly city and not highway?

;-))

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 23 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]483805[/snapback]</div>

Ok that might explain the 50+ MPGs. But how do you get away with driving 60 Mph on the freeway? Isn't that kind of antisocial road rage eliciting behavior (considering most freeway speeds are around 70ish)

I remember waaay back when I used to get alot of speeding tickets and had to take defensive driving classes (about 10 years ago) I was always told that one of the main causes of traffic accidents on highways was driving too slow. Mainly due to the fact that it causes drivers to change lanes to pass, and changing lanes is what causes accidents more than anything else. Anyone else ever heard of this theory?