1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Moral Hazard

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 3, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some of my engineering coworkers used to go to Costco for their 'free' buffet ... the samples. Clever but not my style. But today I faced my own.

By mapping out the 'free' chargers, I realized I can drive our BMW i3-REx for free around town. So headed to brunch, I slipped behind a suburban doing 85 mph with AC on cold and in COMFORT mode and didn't feel any compulsion to drive efficient. Freed from cost and in a well powered and handling car ... well why not?

The moral hazard is freed from the consequences, driving efficiently(*) has lost its allure. But this happened to some extent with our first Prius.

I was driving more miles for less gasoline expense. I took drives just for the pleasure of the trip. Within the EV range of our BMW i3-REx, I can now drive like the very road jerks I so despised. Sweet irony.

Bob Wilson

* - to minimize entropy

#1 bwilson4web, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Like anything of economic value it will eventually be abused.

When PHEVs/BEVs were new in California, many municipalities and businesses had no charge for their charging stations. But PHEVs/BEVs grew much faster than these freebees.

At that point, enough visitors became abusive and petty. Entitled squatters became a problem as these were used as personal charging stations. And there were plenty of vehicle owners who thought their particular model (Leaf, Volt, etc.) was more worthy of using these free stations.

Fair pricing fixes it all.

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What "Moral" Hazard?

To me? There is nothing morally wrong with enjoying long drives.
    Whether we are talking Prius, or BMW i3-REx.

I don't understand the statement "driving efficiently has lost it's allure"?
    No it hasn't.
    If it had lost it's allure, you wouldn't be owning or driving a BMW i3-REx, which is "efficient" by simply being the machine it is.
    You made the investment into that machine, ostensibly for that very reason. Why "Shame" yourself for automatically enjoying the benefits of owning that machine?

The Moral Hazard only becomes tangible, if you ditch your Prius or BMW i3-REx for a V8 pick-up, and then start taking long drives just for the pleasure of it.

A limited and singular observation I've have personally come to embrace, is that The Prius, can...not always...but can be the vehicle that people who don't really like cars or driving embrace. The vehicle for people who don't really want a vehicle. BUT...

NOT ME.

I bought my Prius because I like driving. And I simultaneously want and respect efficiency and reduced environmental impact.
    But I'm certainly NOT going to define, long enjoyable drives as being a "Moral Hazard".
    I enjoy owning a vehicle, and using it to enhance my life...whether that is being able to drive to The Hospital if there is an emergency, OR taking a weekend road trip somewhere far off, and beautiful.

I see no Moral Hazard here.
    You just bought a vehicle with "efficient capabilities" and you are enjoying it.
    Carry on....guilt free.

#3 The Electric Me, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, I didn't define 'efficiently' well enough. For me it means to minimize the gain in entropy. My mind reaches back to the power plant that runs a little hotter or longer to generate the kWh wasted heating the air down the highway.

Yes, the BMW i3-REx is within its own a very efficient vehicle (could be better.) If I don't have any motivation to save, well I might as well have the windows rolled down with the AC on max. Think Nixon with a wood fire in a DC summer and the White House air conditioners on max. But let me bring a specific example.

I've been contemplating how to add after-body tapered shell to reduce aerodynamic drag to extend the range and make it more efficient. But without the 'cost driver,' it is easy to lose focus on making the car better. That is the 'Moral Hazard.'

Bob Wilson

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By the way.
    I shop at Costco. Great place to stock up and get good prices on many items.
    BUT...
    I often hate the environment.
    People stocking up in horde like quantity, like the city is about to be attacked by Godzilla.
    People cutting in front of you in aggressive fashion to get the small sample cup of Anti-oxidant berry drink or crumbled Veggie Wafer, like they are getting their daily allotment of food after surviving a Himalayan Andes Air Plane Crash.

Ignoring all the samples is really worth it to me, if only to avoid the 20 second accompanying sales pitch, and trying to come up with a viable reason why I desperately want the paper thimble full of "sample" but DON'T want to buy the actual product.

We're talking about a place that will sell you a huge hot dog and 2 refills of soda, for $1.50 . How bloody cheap do you have to be, to make a trip to Costco simply to glean a meal from available samples?

That's thrift that would make a pre-christmas redemption Ebenezer Scrooge blush.

I think the more valid Moral Hazard, is frequenting Costco for free food.

Coast Cruiser and bwilson4web like this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Is that the Prius Plant he stepped on???

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it took me about 3 years to realize driving ev just for funsies wasn't the best idea. plus, the excitement wears off after awhile. you'll get over it, it's a new toy.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with moral dilemma , but REALLY want to see the tail cone! Will you be putting storage space for light items in it? Do you plan to mold it over the current hatch and license plate and move the license plate onto the cone? Were you thinking carbon fiber, fiberglass, some other form of plastic, or metal? Have a wind tunnel available for testing a scale model? Don't let that idea go away!

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My engineering approach is a little different:
    • 2" receiver hitch (in transit) - provides a solid mount and power for instrumentation
    • folding wheel chair rack (in transit) - additional mount points

• tuff testing - measure and map the after body turbulence
    • cardboard prototype - check flow separation and stability, use wide blue-tape to attach
    • after body shape - will start with the hatch slope of our 2010 Prius
    • blueprint the rear

• investigate mount options: (1) replace rear hatch, (2) segmented top and sides, (3) flexible frame, (4) suction cups, e.t.c.
    • investigate: (1) transparent shrink wrap over frame, (2) foam and fiber glass, (3) vacuum, thermal formed, clear plastic panels, e.t.c.
    It is way too early to make any predictions about the design and capabilities. I am hoping the volume inside the shell will be usable for a folding wheel chair, but the risk is moving the CG can lead to handling issues. I am also concerned about cross-wind effects and they will be checked. Lights, license plate, and sensors can be solved easily enough.

Bob Wilson

Robert Holt likes this.