1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the Multi info display

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Argyle, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish I could customize the choice of displayed screens. I flip through them to get to the HSI, the fuel consumption and the trip data. I would like to drop the energy monitor out of the rotation along with the Settings screen.

Settings should only come up it you press both buttons while bowing toward Japan or something. Once you set your preferences, how often do you go back to them?

And the energy monitor just seems like something they did because they could. It is sorta neat, but after a month behind the wheel, I don't get much out of it.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah I don't use the settings screen nor the energy monitor screen much anymore but I just hit the button fast enough the get to the one I want.

What I would really like to have seen (unless it is somehow able to be done and I have not figured it out!) is a button in the wheel to bring up the nav map display screen from any other screen your on in a nav equipped vehicle.

It is annoying as hell to have to keep reaching across to hit the map button to have the map brought back up. Yes, I know you can have it default back to it automatically but that was just to quick, I don't want that being done automatically. On the G II we hit a button on the wheel and the map screen would come back up from any other screen we were on...

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I asked the following on another forum, and did not get a satasfactory answer. Any ideas?

"OK, I need an explanation ...... in simple terms please.

I assume the image represents -"watt hours"? or "watts/hour"?

I assume that signifies the power that is generated (returned to the battery) by what? the regen? the engine? On the 5 min display, the little images do not extend all the way to the top of the graph .... so I assume that while I am achieving, say 50 mpg, is is being obtained via two separate processes?

What useful informationm is that to me? For maximum efficiency, should I be striving to make as many images as possible?

I have not had my car a week yet, so maybe in time I would have figured it out, but I assume the target is to get as many images as possible. I have been practicing "pulse and glide" (P&G) and I can see real merit in that process, but I have mot made the connection between P&G and the little images.

The manual mentions "50wh," but I have not found an explanation. Then somewhere I read about "30wh." I assume that is not as good? "

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think you really need to worry about it. My understanding from several years ago is it simply tells you when "significant" energy has been added to the battery from regen. I typically see it on long grades when I ride my brakes and get a good deal of charging. I really wouldn't concentrate on trying to get them, It's not a video game. :p As long as your battery is charging to full on long grades and you can maximize the hybrid system use getting a large charge like that is not going to really help all that much.

When you pulse and glide, you won't see these poping up nless your "glide" is down a steep hill, in which case I really wouldn't call that P&G. From what I have heard the P&G is more accelerating fairly rapidly and then letting the car cost, losing speed in order to maximize EV mode and then repeat. That's just playing with the hybrid system and doesn't have anything to do with the symbols.

5. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 5 minute consumption screen shows the recaptured energy in 50 Wh blocks, the one minute display shows it as 30 Wh blocks. So it is not that one is better than the other; just a different way to look at it.

The car will store energy as you slow down; a little if you just take your foot off the accelerator, a lot when you apply the brakes.

Since the traction battery is required to allow the car to function, it should not be run all the way down. If necessary, the ICE will help recharge the battery as you drive. This is why you don't try to run the car on the battery for long. Otherwise you are going to the ICE to charge the battery which is less efficient than using the ICE to just move the car.

The five minute/one minute consumption is fun to look at, much like the Energy Monitor, but the Hybrid System Indicator is where you learn to drive efficiently.

I can say all this with high confidence since I have had my car 3 more weeks than you. :D

So don't worry too much about the regen icons on the consumption display. And if you have not figured it out yet, to switch from the 5 min display to the one min, hold the display button down for a couple of seconds when on that screen.

1 person likes this.