1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The mysterious "B"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lbligh, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Complete truthfulness, and no fair looking it up before you vote!

2. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I'm sure that most of us have asked the question at least once....so the poll is a little misleading.

For me, I called toyota directly because my sales rep told me it was a "backup" switch. I said that was "weird" (nice talk for "stupid") because there was a "R" for reverse already.

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Engine braking. No regeneration advantage, but helps you keep off the physical brakes.

That being said, I'm rarely in a situation where I have to use them for anything.

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    WRONG!!!

It's for making those tailgaters have to slam on their brakes without the leisure of seeing taillights!! :p

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Welp, it depends on the time frame.

When I first bought my Prius, I DID NOT immediately know, until I either thought about it for a while, or found out here. It's not an intuitive thing...

7. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think there is some regeneration in the 'B' mode. I have two purple bars when I start off in the morning. By the time I get to the freeway I have 8 green bars and I always use 'B' mode so I don't have to use the brakes.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's more or less the equivalent of shifting into the "L" or "2" selection on an ordinary automatic tranny, basically low gear. For coasting down long, steeper inclines without accelerating, or riding the brakes.

9. Porridge

Porridge New Member

The B is an abbreviation for "bugger" which is what you say when your knee hits it and the cruise control setting turns off.

10. itstwowords

itstwowords New Member

I live in the Whatalyer mountain range in Indiana, and frequently use B, though it is quite annoying to have the cruise pop off.

I also have no clue why Toyota would design a car that "forgets" what the cruise speed was set to just because the car temporarily slows below 24 MPH. Most of my driving is in a semi-rural area where the traffic lights / stop signs are one mile apart, and I have to keep setting the cruise to 38 MPH every mile. (38 seems to maximize my EV mode.)

11. MarkR

MarkR New Member

Okay, "B" does give more gegeneration than coasting, use it for slowing down or long downhill runs where you want to keep the speed down.

As for the cruise control. Toyota designed to to lose its pre-set so that you have to manually accelerate to your desired speed as opposed to just clicking in the resume.

The thinking behind this is that as a driver you would accelerate slower, the cruise would detect that you have a pre-set of 110kmh and hammer the car to get there.

Mark

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

way too funny...........ur sick! :rolleyes:

13. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

Hi Mark

B mode does give more regeneration than coasting with the brakes off; but it gives less regeneration than gentle braking does. This was clearly established long ago by Wayne Brown, who in fact produced a table showing the amount of regeneration (in Ahr) produced by B, coasting and several levels of braking. I no longer have the table, and all I can remember is that gentle braking (50mph to 0 in about 30seconds) was most efficient of all. Hard braking was worst, followed by B, then coasting...

Your theory about Toyota's thinking re cruise control is presumably just that - a theory. My own theory is that there are just too many circumstances in which accelerating from a very low speed or zero, no under driver control, would be potentially dangerous. It is a safety, or "anti-litigation" measure...

Jerry

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Was his table on the Classic, or the 2G? 2G changed the braking system quite a bit, which may also affect B. Classic used some friction brakes at all times when applied, where 2G waits until actually needed.

15. ColdWhiteMilk

ColdWhiteMilk New Member

While I know it is a ower gear for battery recharge on steep declines without the brakes, I enjoy telling people that when I move it into "B", that a booger flicks out the back of my Prius and onto the windshield of the tailgater behind me.

16. Rocketeir

Rocketeir New Member

That's good, but I think I will tell people that D is for Drive, B is for Backup and R is for Race.

That is if I get my Super White 06/06 Monday from DeLand (FL) Toyota as promised!

Regards,
    Steve

17. benighted

benighted New Member

You are going to let them drive it after you tell them that, right? :lol:

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Whatalyer mountain range in Indiana" Inteesting! I grew up in Ohio and drove all over the Mid West when young and had a chance to see Indiana, Michigan, Ohio mountains. I even skied on a few. Then I moved west. That was then this is now. I have to say I have never seen a "mountain" range in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois. No disrespect but everything is relative, and a mountain has snow on it 24-7- 365.