1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The myth of putting too much oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by orenf, Mar 27, 2008.

1. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What with winter almost behind us, I've finally managed to get back on the +50MPG track for the last couple of tanks.
    Then it was time to take my Prius to its first ever oil change, at just slightly over 5k miles. Just had to get rid of that annoying "SERVICE" light.

I remember reading about the "DON'T LET THEM PUT TOO MUCH OIL IN" issue, but at the time (last week) it didn't cross my mind. I went to the dealer, gave them the car, had it done in less than an hour, and was on my way to work.
    Over the next 5 days, my MPG was hanging by a thread above 45. The car felt a bit "heavy" when accelerating, but more obvious was the impact on the hybrid system: it was difficult to glide, and when in EV or regen mode, it rarely showed the friendly 99.9 MPG reading. Instead, I was getting anywhere between 20-60MPG, when EV or regen (with or without brakes), long after the engine "warm up" period.

Last night I could stand it no longer. I went and checked the oil level. Lo and behold - it was about an inch or so over the top. I then went back and checked the receipt from the dealer. Sure thing, they put in 5L (=5.3 quarts) of oil.

This morning I went back to the dealer, expecting all sorts of objections, armed with the TSB discussing this issue. By the time I arrived, I was showing 44.6MPG over 120 miles.
    Being Canadians, they didn't even put up a fight... they claimed "it makes no difference", but went ahead and drained it anyhow.

The improvement was immediate - as soon as I pulled out of the dealership, I was able to glide (most of my way) to work. The car feels "lighter", and all is well.

I'm back on track, and with luck I should be able to hit 48MPG for the tank.

At least for me, the "too much oil" myth is no myth. Lesson learned.

--- Oren

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. That's a lot of excess oil. The tech who didn't read the
    spec should be required to smear it all over his body.
    _H*

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope they refunded you for the extra liter you were charged for and didn't need.

4. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As they were draining the excess oil, they took my car up-and-down 3 times. up - drain - down - check - up - drain - down -check etc.

I think they were quite surprised as just how much they had to drain. I remember reading here that the dip stick isn't linear - it takes a lot more oil to move the level when it is high than when it is low.

5. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmm... Good point. I believe I've been living in Canada for too long. It's rubbing off on me. I was just pleased I didn't have to yell at anyone to get it done...
    Sheesh. It only took 3 years of living in BC to completely override the 5 years I had spend in NYC. :)

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quote: Being Canadians, they didn't even put up a fight...

Thats funny.Thank you.

Gina Raymond likes this.
  7. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Myth? Over filling ANY engine with oil is a big no-no. Frothing can lead to all kinds of problems. Anyone that says over filling isn't an issue, isn't informed.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet it's nicer living with Canadians who don't put up a fight, so don't fight the Canadian infusion. Canadians sound like nice people.

9. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the same thing happned to me the first month. I had about 1600 miles. And thought I should toss the dino out for some mobil-1 syn. Went and picked up the usual 5 quart. I was pressed for time so i didn't do it myself, and just took it to a jiffy lube. I specfically told the tech 4 quarts. Later that night pulled the dip stick and it was probably 2 inchs or more above full! i freaked out and didnt drive it for a day or so. Anyway i did it myself and put the proper amount in. The small miles i drove probably had no affect, but still, these guys are paid to work on cars, fix things...sigh

On my older car i would change the oil out all the time, but with prius i've just been doing the dealer route. A good bit of advice is go buy your own quarts. you can do the case, or 5-quart jugs for 20 bucks at walmart, and it's synthetic. pour out about a quart into either an empty quart bottle, or a pan, whatever- bring that to them and no need to worry! they can't over fill then.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Always, always, always check the oil level yourself before driving away from an oil change. This can find and prevent some gruesome errors and expensive repairs.

BTW, 3 US quarts of oil is plenty at an oil change. This leaves the level halfway between the ADD and FULL marks on the dipstick. If you provide the oil it also saves money, prevents overfills, and does not result in a partial bottle of leftover oil.

11. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Like I said - lesson learned.

What surprised me was the effect on performance - overfilling seems to fool certain sensors, impacting hybrid performance. I don't believe it is the physical impact of the excess oil itself, but rather a sensor/computer secondary effect. Then again, I'm no car expert.

--- Oren

12. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone post a link to the Oil Overfill TSB. I had it once but now I cannot find it.

13. birdsquared

birdsquared New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Which dealership was this? I want to make sure I never go there for an oil change...

14. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Open Road Toyota, Port Moody.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    5 qts?! yes, that is too much. the 1/16" over the mark that people here are always complaining about isn't 5 qts. you were right to make them take care of that.

17. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Holy dipstick, dip sh*#s, Batman.
    Yes, Robin, seems another careless knuckle head has some how managed to infiltrate this Toyota dealership!

How stupid can you get? Some dealership, who filled the oil? The guy who sweeps up and washes cars?
    Dammed right they didn't put up a fight, it's one heck of a lot cheaper to change your oil than your engine!

They look at me strange when I get my car's back from having them serviced at dealerships. Before I pay I go over the car and check the fluid levels and the car over all.

18. Michou

Michou Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    4 quarts is the specified amount, as it will leave the level right below the highest mark on the dipstick. Any less and you risk not having enough oil to cover the working parts in the ICE.

Cheers,

Michou

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The last thing you want to do is cover the working parts in the ICE.

I have seen older engines that consume oil come in for service with only about a litre and a half or less of oil in the sump with no ill affects. As long as the pump can pick it up it's OK however, I am not advocating anyone only put a litre and a half of oil in their car at oil change. As long as the oil level is above the low mark on your dipstick, you will be fine.

If there is so much oil in the engine that the crankshaft contacts the oil it is like putting a whisk in the oil, it will bash fine air bubbles into the oil turning it into a mousse which allows the air bubbles into the oil pump, it also reduces heat loss from the sump and is self worsening. The more air in the oil the higher the level, the more the oil is beaten by the crank the more air goes into the oil etc.

Like a chocolate mousse once the air is in the oil it is very slow to rise out so don't over fill the sump. I use about 3.5 litres for an oil change in my Prius, the Camry took 3.5 litres and the RAV4 takes 4 litres. My old Crown holds 5 litres.

20. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    best line of defense is to buy your own syn/dino oil and just bring it to wherever you get your oil done. I brought in 4 quart's to our local vegas dealer and they did a fine job. They left a bottle in my car with 1/8 of oil left. So it's safe to assume the car had 3.8~ or so it. It's just right at the full line.

I dont think 4 quarts even is a problem, especially on a new engine, could help with break in. After 10,000 miles though I would be sure to put slightly less then 4 quart.