1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The new fast

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jamarimutt, Apr 8, 2007.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have seen several times a commercial about a new Lexus with a 438 HP hybrid engine. They call it "the new fast". It will be available in the summer for, likely, quite a large amount of money.

It is sort of dissaponting... a 65 mpg hybrid Yaris would have been much better for the environment. It's all about money, evidently. <_<

2. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

$104K. The hybrid LS.

You sound like you think that hybrid technology should be used ONLY in a Prius-like environment for using less gas.

Well, in the LS it is using less gas--the LS will use the same amount of gas as it did before, but it will have EVEN MORE performance. It won't use more gas to get that higher level of performance.

Nice.

Just because they use hybrid technology, doesn't mean it's about being a green hippie.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The hybrid GS250h is based at USD 54,900.

What's funny is that my wife said that she'll forgo the HyCam for a GS250h. Until I told her the price.
    After we win the lottery, then she'll get one.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its GS450h, not 250h ;)

Yep, a Yaris would have been better for the environment, but it wouldn't legitimize hybrid technology like a $105k supercar will. If Lexus can get people to buy a hybrid LS600hL instead of a Mercedes S600 with a V12 and a gas guzzler tax, hybrid technology will be here to stay.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I'm waiting for a hybrid Lamborghini that offers the performance of A V16 with the fuel economy of a V12. I'll buy one of those.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The car in the commercial is an LS600h, not a GS450h.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Apr 8 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]420040[/snapback]</div>
    What he said... S600/760Li/XJ V8 Super/A8 L W12... or LS600h L? It's the new bragging right. I can keep up with you with something that people call a greenie tech or a wimpy system.

Besides, if they pay for the LS600h L, we're going to get a nicer Prius :p Would you rather the R&D money come from the Land Cruiser?

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Too many freakin' numbers; I can't keep 'em straight! :blink:

I know that the appeal according to the commercials is that it goes really fast. Okay, if you're into that it'll appeal to you. But when I drive along the streets here in Chicagoland during rush-hour traffic, the bulk of the driving is at speeds below 40MPH. So from my perspective, the appeal of putting HSD into something like this is to show the dichotomy of the car: power to go fast at a moment's notice and stealthing capability.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I suppose that selling a 438hp $100K luxury hybrid is less disingenuous than the "hybrid" trucks that GM makes, which get marginally better fuel economy than a conventional engine. Perhaps there is some benefit in further promoting the technology. Anyway, if you're trying to decide which car to spned your $100K on, I would suggest avoiding the Mercedes unless you like to spend a lot of time at the mechanic.

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyways they're not planning on selling many LS600hL's just like they don't sell many S600s or 760s. Its a prestige model for the rest of the line. Would you rather Toyota had just built an LS600L and made it a V12 like everybody else does?

They're trying to show that hybrid technology has merits beyond simply being environmentally friendly. I would never buy a Prius for myself for instance...or probably a Hybrid Camry or Hybrid Highlander. I simply enjoy driving a luxury car. I would buy a GS450h or an LS600hL however.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you rather the R&D for the next Prius come from the LS600h L or the new Tundra?

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 9 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]420436[/snapback]</div>
    The commercials would go something like this:
    "Stealthing from 0 to 20 is nice. Environmentalists will tell you that it's stealthing from 20 to 40 that counts."
    or
    "Most hybrids have batteries this big but you wanted batteries this big. Happy birthday."

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The new fast", eh? Does this mean the Prius is now only 'half-fast'? ;)

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 9 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]420598[/snapback]</div>
    lol.

You've always wanted to give your spouse a surprise but they'd always knew it was coming. Not any more. <shows LS stealthing up the driveway>. Now that's a present worth giving.

15. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It smacks of the hypocrisy of politicians claiming to be "green" like John Kerry who travels in his wifes Gulfstream V, then talks about replacing incandescent light bulbs in one of her five mansions. Or Al Gore getting a hybrid for one of his plantations that consumes 20X the resources of the average, but still generously sized, American home. Or Ted Kennedy rejecting the construction of wind generators within sight of his beach compound.

I think the $100K-for-a-car demographic might see themselves in the same "virtuous" way.

16. Hisamine

Hisamine New Member

I was shocked when I found out the price of this car! I would way rather buy a decked-out Tesla (if i had the money :p ), but then again it has four doors, its practical ect.

Anyone know what the MPG rating is?

-C

17. cc9150

cc9150 New Member

who cares? it's not about MPG with this car.

18. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Apr 8 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]419997[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, hello???? Well that's basically why people (and I assume you do too) get up in the morning (or evening) and go to work. If it wasn't all about the money everyday would be "Saturday"...

Sometimes I wonder when people would get a clue. Only the government can print money. Everyone else has to earn it.

Rick
    #4 2006

19. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having hybrid performance cars will introduce the technology to people who would not otherwise look at a hybrid. This is a good thing and will ultimately halp the sales of hybrid cars on all levels.

20. acdii

acdii Active Member

I'm waiting for a hybrid station wagon with the room of a crown vic. Now that I would buy in a heartbeat!