1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The New Ford Fiesta coming out this summer, borrows some fuel-saving tech from Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, May 18, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Ford Fiesta, coming out "this summer" borrows some fuel saving tips from hybrids, such as the Prius.

To get 40mpg, the Fiesta implements "deceleration fuel shutoff" and electric power steering assist.

Different from Toyota's strategy though, the Fiesta only uses a 1.6 liter engine (that gets 120 hp), as opposed to the larger displacement, higher torque, lower rpm, Prius engine.

"The Fiesta achieves its best-in-segment fuel figures thanks to a host of fuel-saving technologies not normally seen at this price level. To increase fuel economy, Fiesta features a new 1.6-liter Duratec® engine with Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) that delivers 120 horsepower, an aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff and an engine accessory drive system that improves efficiency by reducing the energy it takes to power the air conditioner and alternator."

"aerodynamic optimizations"

All-New Ford Fiesta Delivers 40 MPG; Tops Class in Fuel Economy -- DEARBORN, Mich., May 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

I have a photo of the new Fiesta that I saw on the street on Sunday (manufacturer license plates). When I upload it from my digital camera, I'll post it on here. With cars already on the street with mfg license plates, it's only a month or two before they show up on dealer lots (based on previous observations I've made of mfg license plates).

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's also a Super FE Package available in Canada that adds aerodynamic mods + cruise and alloys.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wouldn't say any off that was Prius tech. The electric power steering has been on other cars. The Malibu Maxx came out in 2004, and had it.

Deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO) has been around for awhile. Nearly every car, automatic and manual, on the road today does it. Some makes and models might only do it under certain conditions. I have to downshift or have been at highway speeds for the HHR to do it. Others are more aggressive at it. The Fiesta likely does it as soon as you remove your foot from the accelerator.

The fuel economy package was listed as an option on the US site. Some are annoyed that it is only available with the automatic.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is, in fact, almost nothing specifically Prius-like about
    any of that.
    _H*

5. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What about the Prius brochures that the guy driving the Fiesta was trying to hide before anyone saw them? :D

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    40mpg highway, mid to high 20's city? Good, but not jaw-dropping!

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like how the city and highway numbers are so far apart. You can tell that the manufacturer is simply lowering the gear ratios for the OD gears to lower the engine rpm.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on people.

The Fiesta has good fuel economy...for an ICE.

Of course it's not going to compare to the levels a Prius offers. But those are pretty good numbers for a Hatchback that doesn't have a battery.

1 person likes this.
  9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    emissions rating? why just focus on MPG?

10. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

True enough, I'm sure, but the engine has to have been designed to provide the necessary hp & torque at those lowered gear ratios. Otherwise, everybody's vehicles would be hitting 40 mpg on the road.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough. It's easier to do that trick on a more powerful V6 or V8 engine than a small 4 cylinder engine.

12. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Fiesta is going to do very well against the current crop of small cars being sold in the US now (Versa, Fit, Yaris etc). The content is amazing for the price point. It even has keyless push button start. Too bad the city mileage isn't a little better.

13. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

1 person likes this.
  14. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't understand why a subcompact can't seem to break that 30mpg city barrier by this point! Is it really that difficult to wring a couple more mpg's out of these cars?

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm not mistaken with all the features and excellent fuel economy the pricing of the new Fiesta ( Yaris, Fit, Aveo, Versa competitor ) will jump over the price of the mainstream trim levels of the next segment up the line ( Corolla, Civic, Focus, Sentra, Mazda3 ). This will be a tough sell.

Howeve if the new Focus due out soon is also as good content-wise if not as fuel efficient then maybe Ford can push the pricing points of these segments up $2000 to $3000 each.

Right now the subcompacts normally should sell for about $14 - $16,000. The compacts at $17 - $19,000. The midsizers at $20 - $23,000 and up.

I see Ford trying to push each of these levels up by $2 - $3000 each!!! The other auto makers obviously would be fully in favor of this and would gladly join in.
    • Will the market accept to pay $18 - $21000 for a Yaris or Fit or Fiesta?
    • Will all the compacts increase content dramatically so that they are more 'european' in features and in pricing ( Corolla at $20 - $25000? )?
    • With all this content at the entry level and the midsizers bumping up against max size restraints how much more can be added into a Fusion or Sonata or Accord to make it 'worth' $25000 for the basic model?
    If Corollas actually do sell for $20000 each does that put the pricing level of the future Prius' starting at $25000 each for an equivalent PII? This would be good if you own one now.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup but I think Ford's idea is that they want to give people the option.

Cdn$20k gets you a 2010 Yaris 5-dr RS auto. It also gets you a 2011 Fiesta Hatchback SES 6-spd Auto.

Fiesta has heated front seats, 16" alloys, driver's knee airbag, SYNC technology with SYNC 911 Assist (no subscription required), Eco-cloth, ambient lighting, soft-touch dashboard, hill-start assist and for $500 more, SKS.

17. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Welcome to IndiaWest.com

18. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy answer. It is so difficult that it may require total change in layout. An ICE in town is off-way inefficient! New layout means "hybridization", as simple as that.
    Any time you hit the brakes, any time you travel in a "wrong" rpm/throttle position, you're increasing the gap towards an hybrid solution.

19. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The New Ford Fiesta ads attack hybrids, and challenge the Yaris to raise up to the bar.

Ford Fiesta print ad takes a swipe at Ford's own hybrids - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

20. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Kind of misleading when you see that list of 21 are full size cars and luxury boats, and probably includes every failed hybrid GM has put out.