1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The old "payback for extra cost" argument

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JackDodge, Jan 6, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was behind yet another driver in a major league light-running, lane-jumping, get-out-of-my-way hurry, driving a Cadillac SUV with a manufacturers license plate this morning and the old saw that we hear over and over that the few thousand dollars extra that a Prius costs over a gas-only Camry came to mind. A lot of us didn't buy our Priuses with the idea that we'd save money in gas, anyway. However, my car cost $23,000. If the driver of that Cadillac actually had to pay for his ride; even if it was just a run-of-the-mill $40,000 SUV, it occurs to me that that's an extra $17,000. If I were to have bought a $40,000 SUV instead of a Prius, how long would it take for me to make up that extra $17,000? Forever? Or, would I lose a lot of money? It just strikes me as asinine for a driver of a $40,000 gas guzzler, that gets less than half the mileage that I get, to be telling me that it'll take years for me to make back the extra cost of a Prius.

2. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I agree... to some extent from a financial standpoint I could understand the argument when making the comparison to a small non hybrid car (mazda 3, honda civic, corrola etc...) but when making the comparison with a SUV it does not make an argument. The initial cost is higher than the Prius and the variable costs of operation (gas) is higher. It would not make a sound financial argument.

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    It's an "old bit" because, as we say here on PriusCat, I mean PriusCHAT, nobody buys a brand new car to "save money."

You save money by not spending it. End of arguement.

Now... I need to eat...

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :lol: We're all PriusCats, aren't we? :D

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were to have that conversation with such an inDUHvidual, you might point out:

- you got a nav system, keyless entry/start, et cetera, for $17,000 less than he paid
    - you didn't buy a Prius to reduce gas expense but to reduce pollution and reduce reliance on foreign oil (if he counters with the Wall Street Journal argument than someone else will just burn that oil anyway, say, that's fine; I chose not to be part of the problem)

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I think the comments are in response to people touting the gas mileage of the Prius as a reason to choose purchasing a new Prius vs. purchasing a different new car.

It is a perfectly legitimate observation when encountering a Prius owner stating fuel efficiency as the deciding factor.

It would be fair to include the reduction in cost via the tax credit in the calculation as its stated purpose is to cover the incremental cost of the hybrid components.
    When the tax credit is factored in, the base models cost roughly the same.
    (Camry $18,445 - Prius $21,725 - $3150 = $18575)

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, not really. Cadillac makes no claims of fuel efficiency with their Escalades. Nor do most other SUV manufacturers. It's really a useless comparison. No one buys an SUV in order to save gas. People do however buy a Prius to save gas. We have two SUV's, getting 13 and 18 mpg. I'm driving 120 miles each day now, and that just didn't make sense to still drive the SUV. I bought a Prius for the savings in gas. I'm going to save over $3500 each year, so the difference actually does add up when compared to the Explorer. Now, for comparison, let's say I bought a differnent small, fuel efficient car. Not as good on gas as the Prius, but stil much more so than the SUV. Doing some math, I get savings of around $2200 each year. Now we can compare, does buying the Prius at a premium price make sense when compared to the other fuel efficient car? Is the extra couple of thousand worth the added 10 mpg? I'll only be saving $1300 in gas each year. Now the numbers are harder to justify. That is what you have to compare. Comparing it to a thirsty SUV is a loaded question. For me, it was worth it. I got mine with every option, as I am a total technophile, and love high tech gadgets.

Wondering how long it would take to make up the extra $17,000 from buying the SUV just doesn't make any sense at all. None. You don't buy that type of car to "make up the money." A Prius, however is MOST OFTEN bought for that reason. I think the poll on here showed just that. Mosr people bought theirs because of fuel. Yes, there are some who bought it only for the greater good of hte world.

When we go on long trips, we still take our SUV. Is it better to drive 400 miles at 50 mpg or at 18 mpg? Well, that question has no correct answer. For us it's better to drive the SUV. It's more comfortable, has more room, and is safer.

I'd type even more, but I have to pick someone up at the airport. Gotta go.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but it makes no sense to make any kind of comparison because you can not buy a nonhybrid Prius. And if you bought a Prius to save money then you can't do math.

9. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

thats EXACTLY what I say to people who bring that topic up, in that order too :D

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

True. Even on PC I see comments from posters that sounds like they heard about the mileage a Prius gets, saw one available and bought it without even a test drive.

11. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

hey, I was ready and willing to buy one sight unseen - i heard about the milage, the emissions, the size, the hatchbackiness, and the tech goddies, and I placed my order. I was lucky in that I got to rent one for a few days recently - but I would have bought the new 2006 driftwood package #4 is coming in sometime next week regardless.

12. JKnight

JKnight Member

I'm willing to pay extra to save gas (conserving fossil fuels) and pollute less (because, you know, I breathe air and most of the people I know breathe air, so...duh). As long as the car meets my other needs, of course.

Prius meets all my needs...except for hauling messy stuff, and for that I have an Element.

Getting money back through lower fuel cost and such is a bonus.

Jan

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Jack;

by your description of his driving, i would expect that HE will have spent an additional $17 G's in a few years if he was buying it.

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oh I know but it happens so often around these parts that it doesn't irk me as much as it may seem. It just got me thinking about that debate and how the issue never comes up how an aggressive driver in a large SUV may never get in to positive territory with HIS investment, for lack of a better term.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i am familiar with the area you live in and i cant even afford to pay the taxes for your neighborhood

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just give them figures.

After 21,000kms and 14½ months I'm still under $1,000 in fuel costs ($949.39). My other friends who bought cars more than a year before I did only have mid 20,000 kms on them and yet it still costs more for them to drive ($1,300 to $2,000 annually). At the one year mark, I spent $822.69 on fuel and $74.85 on maintenance (1st and 2nd + tyre rotation).

I was looking at a loaded 2005 Corolla LE worth $24,795. Mine's $34,xxx. Why do you think we decided to spend an extra $10k? More features, it's a bigger car, it's high tech, it's super fuel efficient and of course super low emissions. I love EV Drive mode, I love the Energy Monitor and the ownership of something special.

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My last car was a Corolla LE (I used to call it le corolla) :) It was fun as heck to drive and handled like a dream but it didn't have anti-lock brakes which was the only thing that I didn't like about it.

18. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In our case, we were going to buy a new car anyway. We planned on spending betwen $20 to 25 thousand. One of my main reasons was wanting side curtain airbags for the kids in back. It was between the Rav4 and Camry...then I thought, we'll get the Prius and then save a lot on gas.

So whenever I wonder, should we have gotten a "normal" car, I remind myself, that based on reviewing our Quicken records, we're saving about $100 to $200/month on gas.

19. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ours was purcahsed after the hurricanes pushed fuel prices up to the $4 / GAL mark in Florida. That and we live out in the boonies so the MR2 wasn't getting driven much at all. It was a fun car, but no room, and the way the county keeps the roads out here it would bottom out on the way to the hard top anyways....... The Prius has much better clearance, room, comfort than the MR2 did. It was a good trade (don't tell my wife that!).......

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.. which year? we had a 97 Corolla DX Plus and 2000 Corolla LE