1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The overtight oil filter catridge cap......It's not the dealer's fault.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed that there are numerous discussion threads about an "overtightened" plastic oil cartridge.

I've struggled with the cartridge for over six years; initially with four oil changes made by my local dealer and four that I have done myself.

The first one that I did myself was without issue. I purchased and used the very expensive ($60) OTC made steel welded center cap wrench (Toyota/Lexus part #09228-06500-02).

I always torqued the cap to 18 ft.lbs. Every time, the cap wrench fits and the cap removed easily as designed.

The last two oil changes were a real "bear," I had to hammer the cap wrench on with a three pound hammer. A 1/2 drive ratchet wrench with a cheater pipe was needed to remove the what appeared to be overtightened cartridge. The cap wrench appeared tightly stuck to the cartridge after it was reinstalled.

I had to really struggle with a Vise Grip on the cap wrench's nut to wiggle the cap wrench off.

The plastic cap, made of 35% glass fiber filled Nylon 6-6 appears to expand at a rate of several times greater than the cast aluminum housing when heated and went through many heating and cooling cycles. Nylon 6-6 is well known to polymer plastic engineers to absorb water and other solvents. cap wrench on filter cap.JPG oblique view.JPG cap wrench w ViseGrip.JPG

I discussed this issue with my dealer's technician, who stated that he has exactly the same results as I describe when using the same equivalent cap wrench.

Others have posted here that Toyota is slowly reverting back to the metal canister spin on filter. I surmise that Toyota realizes the issue and is slowly using up their inventories of cartridge filter adapters and switching to the spin on.

DLC82SV and Starship16 like this.
  2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nice photos.

Some guys here claim that the dealer never even changed the filter during the "free" oil changes. Maybe that's why. Can my 2016 be converted over to the new spin-on filter? The 2018 models now have them.

IMG_0422.jpg

#2 Starship16, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the plastic cap with a new one that hasn't expanded.

I think there is another thread that mentions the Armstrong Family conversion to a spin on filter.

That will likely be my future move.

I guess that being a new member, I am not allowed yet to post links.

DLC82SV likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anyone else, no prob. but for you, idk :whistle:

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that is not the proper tool for the job. They make a special tool to remove and replace the oil filter housing.

#5 ASRDogman, Sep 18, 2018
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Starship16 likes this.
  7. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did she buy the wrong one?

I was sitting on a bench across from the service bay, and watching the dealer mechanic changing my oil. I wasn't close enough to see exactly, but I did notice him pounding on something, and using an electric (or air) wrench to remove something... and then using the air wrench again to tighten something at the end. The filter? The drain bolt? Nothing is done "by hand" anymore.

If Toyota comes out with an adapter to use with a spin-on oil filter, I'd buy it, and have them install it. Just to make things easier.

#7 Starship16, Sep 18, 2018
    DLC82SV likes this.
  8. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those oil filter spin on adapters are expensive. I epoxied the oil filter wrench to the cap about the third oil change on my 2010 and it has been simply delightful to do an oil change ever since. Just stick the ratchet on and off it comes, and goes on easy too.

I also bought an after-market spare cap just in case so I have a backup plan. It was less than $20.

Starship16 likes this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There's a fella here that went to hybridpit and had them removed a oil filter part that was bolted to the car and put another plate on which allow another spin on popular oil filters to be used. People said it would throw off oil pressure due to path and different size filter.

Starship16 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That’s the Toyota Tool! It is NOT the wrong one.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Georgina Rudkus, when Starship16 rotated your picture the cap tool is on crooked. Possible source of difficulty?

I don’t remove the cap wrench until the filter assembly has been reassembled and torqued properly onto the car. I then get a flat head screwdriver and plastic mallet and tap the small edge so it pushes in the direction off. So far so good...

#11 jzchen, Sep 18, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is a Toyota wrench. For an oil filter.
    But what you NEED is a correct fitting one.
    One that secures around the WHOLE filter housing.

Attached Files:

Starship16 likes this.
  13. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, the cap wrench had to be pounded on. Just carefully look at the striations in the cap's hex points, I 'too, didn't remove the cap wrench until I torqued the cap back on. No, the cap appears crooked on the cap wrench is as far as it will go without undue pressure. The new one that I got from the dealer allowed the cap wrench just to slip on. I would photograph it with the cap wrench, but it is now on the car.

I did buy a new cap from the dealer. I paid nearly $40 for it The label on the box says, "Made in Japan." I closely compared the new one to the old one. I know that I've seen new ones claim to be genuine Toyota from eBay and third party Amazon sellers, but I prefer to buy one that I knew was from Toyota, because $3,000 to $5,000+ in engine replacement cost on the basis of an individual's claim is not worth the risk to me.

I cap contains the relief bypass valve. If they got the spring pressure or rate wrong. who knows what eventual damage might happen to the engine. It's not worth saving $20 to me. Some counterfeits are so good that they fool the experts. new oil filter cap.JPG

#13 Georgina Rudkus, Sep 18, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't chase oil filters, I buy them by the case of 10 Toyota oil filters. I had just ordered a new case for my Gen 2 and then traded it in and found a guy that had a Gen 2 and gave him the whole case. Did I save any money? But I made a friend.:)

Starship16 likes this.
  15. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, the one you have is a new less expensive one that may be sold by some Toyota dealers due to the greater expense of the original one. In 2012 the $60+ wrench is what the dealer uses for the plastic cap assembly. When I showed my friend the Toyota tech at the dealer the expanded filter cap and cap wrench, he noted that he had the same problem. He stated that he has the same wrench, but his was more beat up from use.

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That may be a better tool, but it isn’t the one that is prescribed in the service manual.

It’s even on the opening page where dealers buy their SSTs:

https://toyota.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is an earlier version. They apparently lowered the price with the "A" revision. It now has a triangular slot instead of a curvilinear one.

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Rebound up our way did this as well;).

He did it as he couldn’t get the casing off:eek:.

Grit likes this.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here’s the blog post:

The 2016+ Toyota 2zr Engine oil filter conversion - Armstrong Family Blog

We have had our ‘12 v for a little over 6 years now. I have done the last 3 or 4 oil changes. It is a low mileage car so not as many heat/cool cycles probably. So far it has slid on with some slight friction and always gets stuck on. With the iQ I could see the engine drop down as I pried on the hole with a small pry bar, until it came loose. Just changed it’s oil yesterday. It has a metal cap! (I have the exact same tool as you, but can’t remember how much exactly I paid for it)....

Thanks for sharing this! Good point about counterfeit parts...

#19 jzchen, Sep 18, 2018
    Burna J, Grit and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's my notes on the conversion to spin-on parts, basically cribbed from the link in the above post:

Filter Housing p/n: 15609-0T060 ($75.43)
    Filter Housing O-Ring p/n: 96723-24020 ($2.36) (2 req'd.)
    Oil Filter Adapter p/n: 90904-04006 ($11.00)
    Oil Filter p/n: 90915-YZZF2 ($3.75)

I believe these are actually Corolla part numbers, so proceed with caution. The prices are from McGeorge Toyota parts, their online store.

Addendum: torquoe on the oil filter housing is 19 ft/lb.

#20 Mendel Leisk, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    jzchen likes this.