1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The owner's manual says "When refueling the vehicle Observe the following"

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Robert William Aston, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Robert William Aston

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When refueling the vehicle Observe the following precautions while refueling the vehicle.

Failure to do so may result in death or serious injury. ●After exiting the vehicle and before opening the fuel door, touch an unpainted metal surface to discharge any static electricity. It is important to discharge static electricity before refueling because sparks resulting from static electricity can cause fuel vapors to ignite while refueling. ●Always hold the grips on the fuel tank cap and turn it slowly to remove it. A whooshing sound may be heard when the fuel tank cap is loosened. Wait until the sound cannot be heard before fully removing the cap. In hot weather, pressurized fuel may spray out the filler neck and cause injury. ●Do not allow anyone that has not discharged static electricity from their body to come close to an open fuel tank. ●Do not inhale vaporized fuel. Fuel contains substances that are harmful if inhaled. ●Do not smoke while refueling the vehicle. Doing so may cause the fuel to ignite and cause a fire. ●Do not return to the vehicle or touch any person or object that is statically charged. This may cause static electricity to build up, resulting in a possible ignition hazard. ■When refueling Observe the following precautions to prevent fuel overflowing from the fuel tank: ●Securely insert the fuel nozzle into the fuel filler neck ●Stop filling the tank after the fuel nozzle automatically clicks off ●Do not top off the fuel tank

is discharge etc done when you refuel?

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i highly doubt anyone pays attention to that. legal jargon to protect them i suppose.

i wouldn't advise smoking at any time though :cool:

TGrracie likes this.
  3. Robert William Aston

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i agree and no topping off

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, especially on prius

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming from an industry where static zap protection is essential to protect sensitive electronics, and having seen a number of videos of static-ignited fuel pump fires, I usually make sure static is discharged before refueling. But I'm nowhere near as diligent as I should be.

If news reports are at all representative, then it seems that serious static-induced fuel pump fires are very infrequent compared to other hazards, such as the frighteningly common vehicle occupant incineration from crash-induced fire before first responders can extricate any crash survivors. A recent example near me earlier this month, a two-car incident:

upload_2022-11-28_19-55-0.png

upload_2022-11-28_19-55-30.png

One driver survived uninjured, the other didn't get out. WSP didn't say which was which.

But based on how many people are driving, I'm not sure they are paying any more attention to this crash fire risk than to fuel pump static risk.

#5 fuzzy1, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  6. Robert William Aston

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    interesting...I can understand toyota's disclaimer then. fuzzy, do u think from "I usually make sure static is discharged before refueling" is important for us?

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your call. Almost everyone ignores static zap risk at fuel pumps, yet fatalities from the resulting fires remain far far down the Pareto chart.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What could that be? Would a wheel lug nut work?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just touch the metal frame of the gas pump. It's grounded and any static voltage on your person will be discharged.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The risk goes up winter as the dry air is more inducive to charge build up, and people could get back into the car while refueling which gives more chances to produce that charge.

An exposed bolt tucked into the interior door handle of the Taurus always gave me a shock when getting out in the winter. With other cars, it was touching the metal of the door to close it then. Continuing the above, people that get back into the car might leave the door open when they got back up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's nothing Prius-specific about those static electricity warnings; they apply to cars generally.

From something I read, I had the sense that the typical cause of the static charge is your clothing when you scoot on the seat getting in or out of the car.

Discharging yourself to something on the car is probably more effective than to something on the pump, because it's the relative voltage between you and the car that could make a spark at the filler neck.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    gas station static ... the most prevalent place it happens? Not often ... but it goes like this;

You'll notcice - the person gets back in their car .... rubs static via rubbing on her sweater ... probably the same thing by sitting in the driver seat ... now she's ready to grab the pump handle.

Bam .... no surprise here. Move along.
    Novel sollution. Stop being so lazy you have to go sit in the car. Stay there. Don't let go of the gas nozzle & then it'll be a non event.
    ;)

by the way ... Robert, the OP looks strangely like Rodger Hodgrson ... the lead singer for Super Tramp. Way Cool !!!

rodgerHodg.jpg

So ... if you're too young to have heard of them .... my sympathy goes out to you
    ;)

#12 hill, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  13. Robert William Aston

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i do like this man thoughts, I'm gonna check for a unpainted metal object under seat!

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I typically use the time to meander over to the engine compartment and check the oil. So by the time the pump cuts off, I haven't been scooching on the seat, and I've touched a few grounded things.

Robert William Aston likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here I don’t think it’s possible to pump without steadily holding the handle compressed. Unless I’m missing something. :unsure:

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've filled at a few stations in the US where the hold-open latches had been removed from the dispensing nozzles, but that seems to be rare here. There might be certain localities where that's required.

It's been a few years since I was last in Canada (Ottawa) and I don't remember if I bought any fuel there.

Hmm, here's a story:

Petro-Canada is bringing back gas nozzle locking clips | CTV News

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not long after moving to Coquitlam, maybe mid-nineties, we were walking up one side of an avenue, and across the street in a (full serve only, mandated in Coquitlam) gas station, an unattended gas pump, locked on, was gushing gas.

I thought, we’ll that’ll get noticed fast.

about five minutes later, walking back, see it’s STILL happening. Just about then the attendant came out of the store, freaked, started running for the car.

never heard anything about it. Must have ended up in local streams.

coquitlam’s still full serve only. We affectionately call it drive-thru ville. Never fill up here.

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Our local mobile station doesn’t have the clamps.
    I just hold it until done. Easy enough when only getting a few gallons

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah you're pumping gas for a couple of minutes. It's akin to defrosting a few blueberries in the microwave: not much point in walking away.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's such a perfect length of time for a dipstick check though.

fuzzy1 likes this.