1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Owner's Manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles Suitt, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: The Owner's Manual (324 pages) and the Navigation System Owner's Manual (128 pages) contain a wealth of detailed and helpful information. I am puzzled why so many seem to adamantly refuse to read these documents. I grant you, the translations are sometimes a bit arcane but the information is there for those willing to seek it.

Another valuable resource (in more understandable and practical language) can be found on John's web site: http://john1701a.com/

Label me "GEEK" if you want, but I always read manuals on any equipment or software I obtain.

Try it... you may learn something!

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too read owners manuals. It took a few days to go through and some re-reading of certain sections with strange translation, however it is very comprehensive and basically detailed enough for average ownership.

Sometimes the "engrish" translations are rather humorous. I find it strange that with such a large number of these vehicles coming to the U.S. and the large English speaking contingent of buyers that they don't have somebody in their American operations arm do the translation to English or write the manual from scratch in English.

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I wouldn't label you geek, Charles.
    Crotchety maybe, but not geek!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read all the owner's manuals for our cars (maybe skipped some of the DIY stuff). I would glady read the nav manual even though I don't have it. It doesn't hurt to know :)

5. bobc

bobc New Member

I'm guessing Charles posted this because of the numerous posts about SKS, proper oil weight, proper air pressure, etc. posts that keep appearing on this site....

6. canuckican

canuckican New Member

On many other boards/forums/web sites many, many of the questions posted here (again and again and again...) would be responded to with the obligatory "RTFM" response (Read The Friggin' Manual).

The fact that this actually almost never happens here at PriusChat tells me that you all are very kind, considerate people.

Give yourselves a collective pat on the back for being patient.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt\";p=\"77490)</div>
    Hear, hear.

8. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been resident at many different posting sites, and the one thing that is nice about most Prius sites, this one included, is the lack of RTFM responses and willingness to rehash old topics and stuff that has been covered so many times that it hurts. However, it doesn't hurt to give out good advice, even if it is given out hundreds of times.

Sure, we could ask our new posters, not that I'm part of the old guard, to read the archives and old posts, however as sites age that is a daunting task to take on, especially for somebody that I believe we as a knowledge community would want to help with haste. Sometimes search engines on bulletin boards are less than stellar and as we have seen lately, sometimes evil people hack the site and reduce all of our combined thoughts to nothing.

I think we are unique in the product user community. I've always thought that Prius drivers are kind of like Mac users, we want others to have a pleasant experience with a product that we ourselves have a pleasant experience with, believe in and want to sustain.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. The lack of degradation, flaming and other rude things that occur to newbies (or noooobs in their case) on this site makes it a pleasant one to surf. The fact that questions are quickly responded to makes people want to return and ask more questions about the car rather than shy away for fear of being flamed.

Kudos to you all! :)

10. LisaMurray

LisaMurray New Member

As a new owner, I too have immensely appreciated the information I've gotten from you all here. I have read the manuals, but I find that the information here goes well above and beyond the basics in the manual, and is much easier to understand. Thanks!!!

11. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LisaMurray\";p=\"78009)</div>

I 2nd, that Lisa! I've already learned a lot from this site in a very short time. :D

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I doubt that anyone is complaining about questions being asked in this forum when the answers are not readily found in the owners’ manual. I have learned quite a bit here myself, but I always turn first to the owners’ manual when I have a question. I have also posted responses when I knew the answers.

What I find annoying is clicking on a link only to find a question the answer to which is easily located by looking through the table of contents or the index in the literature that came with the car or which has already been extensively discussed here.

We are now averaging over four hundred new posts a day. This is one of the slowest web sites which I frequent on a regular basis. I skip many threads which I do not find of interest; however, try as hard as I do, I still spent quite a bit of time keeping current.

I don't think it is too much to ask that the newer members look in the owners’ manuals and do a simple search on PriusChat before posting a routine question.