1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the Paint Pen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Jan 21, 2005.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

Does Toyota make the touch up paint pen or is it a generic manufacturer?

When I stopped by the Dealer today, they told me that toyota only makes the paint bottle t ype (like nail polish) with no clearcoat thing.

I want the paint pen but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Is it actually Toyota branded? I don't trust southbay toyota.....

Any suggestions?

2. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I saw a post a long time ago that people in Canada got paint pens. I was only able to purchase a brush style here in US.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I suffered a ding and was trying to remember - and then find - a thread from some time back. If I remember correctly, this touch-up paint system required that you apply the paint and then rub the application in order to make sure it's smooth to the surrounding paint. The individual explaining the process was quite pleased with the results.

Does anyone remember this? Who's the manufacturer? What's the paint application name? Where can I get some?

4. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

You can try www.Paintscratch.com Someone else here recommended it and I ordered a touch up paint pen kit, but haven't used it yet.

wildplaces

5. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got a paint pen from my local Toyota dealer, but it wasn't Toyota branded. It also wasn't like the ones that they get in Canada. It was more like one of those markers that you have to shake up and then depress to get the paint to come out.

Tony, are you perhaps talking about the PlastiKote paint touch up kit? I think in the thread, they bought it online, but I found it at my local Pep Boys for cheaper than the place online. The kit includes clearcoat, polishing compound, and fine sandpaper and a block. After you apply the touch up paint, you use the polishing compound and sandpaper to remove the excess paint. If it's just a clearcoat scratch, the this will also supposedly take out the scratch without any touch up paint. It wasn't perfect when I tried it, but I think it is more the fault of the touch up pen (the color is a bit darker than Tideland, but it was the same color code) than the kit. The kit did take out excess paint that I got all over when I was trying to fill in really light scratches without affecting the actual paint of the car.

6. downeast

downeast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    TonyPSchaefer
    I believe you are talking about is called langka . It does work well, requires a little patience, you really have to time when the paint you put on is close to dry and then use this product. Requires several applications of paint and smoothing.

http://www.langka.com/

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The paintpen we have for the Camry is red/white with a paint applicator on one end and a clearcoat one on the other end (Think double-sided markers). The brush/bottle ones are for pre-2000 or 2001 models here in Canada.

8. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

the www.paintscratch.com uses the VIN# to match the batch color...

9. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought a very nice product from the Toyota dealer - called ChipMender (Livermore, CA). It's a slightly flexible tube shaped like a pen, with a metal tip. Squeeze and push the tip against the chip and paint comes out, and it flows just enough to fill the chip as it dries. Works great, hardens and disappears. Patent numbers and patent claims all over it. About $7, I think, and worth it.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cool. Thanks all. Though now I have several glowing recommendations rather than just the one I had hoped would remove options. :)

I'll reasearch the ones you all mention and get something once the weather warms up.

My ding, but the way, goes all the way through the paint to the body. Someone smacked it hard.
    I also seem to have suffered a blow on the very edge of the front passenger door. It literally curves around the metal. I seriously think the mechanic did it, but it's been so long now that I would have a hard time proving it. Since I drive the car alone and only get in and out of the driver's side, it took almost a month to see it. If, that is, the mechanic really did do it.