1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Passion of The McRib...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Nov 9, 2011.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so this is Prius Chat. Even though I know it is much more than the stereotype, this is the supposed strong hold of the Vegan type. Those that compost their compost and recycle their recyclings...

So I come here for temperance and to admit...I love The McRib. Even though when I take a big enough bite, I can actually see the faint glow at the end of the tunnel become a little brighter, even though I can hear the ticking of my death clock tick faster and louder...I still love The McRib.

I love it because it is everything I'm suppose to dislike. I love it because it doesn't pretend. It's a genuine fake. It's The Rib, that isn't a rib. It's the "meat" made to be soylent green tasteless. It's the prefabricated pressed shape of ribs, made to be a pleasant "texture". It's flavor being handed off to a slathering of obnoxious and probably deadly Barbeque sauce, purposely used to overwhelm any other taste that might exist within the sandwiche itself.

The McRib represents everything I dislike in our culture. It's the official sandwiche of strip malls and Dollar Tree's. It has no subtlety, no worth outside of filling your stomach and probably clogging your arteries. And I love it for that....and infact, in a Last Temptation of Christ move...I'll supersize the fries...

I hope Mickey D's never changes a thing. The world would be a little dimmer if they ever offered a meatless McRib. With an heathier apple slices side.....

We all have a dark side. Don't we all sneak something into the trash can we know should be recycled? At 1:00 am in the morning, aren't we all throwing the groceries in the plastic sacks because we forgot to bring in the reuseable sacks and it's raining outside? The McRib makes no pretencious attempt at being anything but bad. It's going to push you into the back alley and ask for your wallet. And if you don't give it up? It will cut you...it will cut you bad.

It's horrible. It sits in it's stained box like a Led Zeplin daring you to eat it. It's only promise a temporary subsiding of hunger. You know if you do eat it? You're not going to feel good later. It's going to ruin your evening, and yet? You still must eat it..you still must love it.

The McRib is the father and son talk you never had. It's the dog that got ran over, or the cat that ran away. It's an afront to all things natural or in balance. It's disharmony between Man and Nature.

It's archaic rhythmic chanting coupled with the sudden appearance of Ravens and big menancing black dogs. It's the cry of "It's all for you McRib!" then the final step and the sudden snap of a rope tied in a historically ill used loop.

And yet? Guess what I'm going to have for lunch?

I'm damned if I don't love the McRib.

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!! I'm a hard core carnivor, but I hate the McRib--for all those reasons that you love it. But I appreciate your passion and enjoyed the read. Keep on McKeeping On!

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, nice writeup.

I've never liked soggy sandwiches so I doubt it is for me. That and it would require me to go to a mcdonalds which is something I try to prevent.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no vegan, but I haven't eaten there in decades. As a teenager, the food would literally make me sick, so I stopped going. I'm sure the menu's changed since then....maybe even the quality. :rolleyes:

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love ribs, even "country style" boneless cuts that taste like ribs, but aren't really ribs. Still, I can't get myself to like the McRib. The processed quality of the meat is too disgusting for me. It is limp and soggy. But whatever floats your boat...

Tom

6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the McRib sandwich the last time it was "re-released" (last year). It was nothing to write home about.

I think this "limited availability" is some sort of gimmick by McDonalds. Somehow if it was available all year long, it would lose its cult following.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assumed it was a supply issue. As far as I can tell, the McRib meat is formed by scraping the grill surfaces and then pressing it into a semi-solid mass. It takes awhile for the grills to regenerate the necessary amount of filth, so therefor the McRib has limited availability.

;)

Tom

7 people like this.
  8. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Meh... I'd rather have a filet of fish...

Still 5213...

9. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Give me real food or give me death.

Whirldy likes this.
  10. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had three since they've come back. However, the last two times, they ran out of McRib buns and served it on QPC buns.
    The no good sons of b.........

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I *like* McDonald's. I like ribs. But the McRib in an abomination from the lowest levels of Hell that also produced Paris Hilton, The Hummer H3, and Donald Trump's hair.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Never heard of it. But then, I've never eaten at a McD's. The first one I ever saw opened in my neighborhood about 3 or 4 months after I quit eating meat.

I cannot stomach fake meat. It may not taste like real meat to you, but it tastes far too much like meat to me. Yuck!

13. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do eat meat, to each their own. But I don't eat mystery meat. I had a monstrous prime rib this evening (I could only get through 1/3 of it). But I wouldn't take a nibble on one of those McThings. I'll leave them for Homer Simpson. But enjoy.

Btw, Twinkies are my secret. At least they are just baked goods, and not masquerading as animal protein.

14. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Normally I'm one of those that refuses to eat any meat that I can't identify the animal it came from... But I have an affinity for the McRib that I can't explain. I love that sucker. I admit that I've had to spend extra time on the treadmill to work off a couple of those tasty suckers.

I'll be sad when they are gone and my Prius will again not pass silently through the McDonald's drive thru until they return again.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. I tried one back in 2007 when I visited your fine country and it was probably the worst McDonald's menu item I've ever tried. Burgers and hotdogs are already processed meat. I don't really want to go further down the chain.

16. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Like a rib, it tastes like liberty,
    Like a rib, with a barn of sesame
    Man: We start with authentic letter graded meat, and process the hell out of it, until it's good enough for Krusty!
    Krusty: Try my new Krusty Ribwich.. mmmmm! I don't mind the taste!

17. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful what you wish for... When I was putting my self through college, one of the more fun jobs I undertook was Live Sound Mixing for local Rock & Roll bands. Those were different times! ... Anyway on day we drove through a McDonald's, got food, and a extra Fillet of Fish. It was tossed on the shelf of the large van we used to haul the equipment, and the 6 of us from gig to gig... Well we all forgot the damn thing. this was in December. February we we were traveling, to god knows where and the drummer was hungry. we are traveling 70 mph on the Wisconsin interstate, and Gino the drummer can't wait for the next off ramp. So he starts rummaging through the overhead bin, finds the Fillet O Fish, 3 months old, and before anyone could say a word he wolfed it down with a beer!
    Thank god for preservatives, Or I would have been drumming that night, and I am a fine mixer, drumming not so much! :eek:

Gino did turn a tad green after we all laughed out that he ate a 3 month old sandwich! :D

1 person likes this.
  18. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I wouldn't wish for three month-old McDonald's fish... that's for sure Bra...

Glad the fella lived...

I'll have another Filet-o-fish next month on one of my "have a gluten days"...

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, but you have to remember, this was a *drummer*.

Tom

2 people like this.
  20. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My God that's an egregious load of hilarious wordsmithery.:jaw:

1 person likes this.