1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 'perfect' hybrid...CNG?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Dozer42, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to see more of a move towards Natural Gas in the US.

Currently the only 'off the shelf' Natural Gas powered vehicle I can find is the Honda Civic GX.

Great little car, but a bit limited in range (200 miles).

It would be wonderful to see Toyota Hybrid technology powered by Natural Gas, and while we're at it, add in the 13 mile range PHV battery.

Natural Gas costs about 1/2 to 1/4 the cost of gasoline. And you can even set up a (safe) home filling station to fill your vehicles overnight.

The civic 'only' gets about 37mpg (GGE) on Natural Gas, as a hybrid, especially with extra battery power, you could have the same sized CNG tank and maybe a 350-400 mile range.

You could plug it in at home every night, it would recharge the battery in minutes and fill the CNG tank at a cost of under $1 per gallon (GGE).

Honestly I can't see any downsides. CNG is much, much cleaner than gas, it's cheaper, comes from the USA (we have the largest CNG reserves in the world), and it's very easy on engine parts.

Currently many places around the country have very few Natural Gas 'fast fill' stations, but I'm sure they'd pop up like crazy if the vehicles were there to use them. (Currently Kentucky has exactly 0 CNG stations, while here in the San Francisco Bay Area there's about 20).

So, what do you guys think?

1/4th the cost of gas, far cleaner, superb range, etc...

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apparently, CNG vehicles are quite slow to fill. See http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...atural-gas-vehicles-were-so-slow-fill-up.html.

I don't know the current status of Phill either. They were in limbo for awhile. Are there other reasonably priced home CNG fueling stations available?

3. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there are some other similarly priced solutions.

They still aren't cheap, but over time it would pay for itself.

Plus there are some government rebates on them.

The home fill would be an overnight job, but fillups at CNG gas stations take only a couple of minutes, they're 'fast fill' stations.

At home it just taps into the gas line you might use for your water heater, stove, etc. Then a compressor jacks up the pressure and feeds it to the car.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    natural gas will go way up in price when/if they put the proper safeguards on harvesting.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pros:
    - Clean burning. However, with a gasoline hybrid I suspect some of the advantage of CNG would be lost.
    - Cheap.
    - Replaces petroleum imports with a local resource.
    - Potential for homes with mains NG to refuel at home, although I think that's pretty much been abandoned now.

Cons:
    - Not much more efficient than a good gasoline engine: in fact, it's considered by many to be more efficient to burn NG in CHP plants and run EVs than to burn the NG directly in a combustion engine.
    - Low energy density meaning either you have reduced range or a large tank that reduces space in the car. In a hybrid there would be a double whammy on space reduction.
    - If CNG use spread to transportation on a large scale prices would likely rise and that would hit heating and electricity prices too.

Since NG isn't an ideal fuel for transportation I think it's best kept to specialized urban uses such as large taxis, buses and garbage trucks:
    - low emissions have greatest value
    - limited and predictable daily range allows for right-sizing of fuel tanks.
    - doesn't require an extensive build-out of infrastructure
    - replaces uses of gasoline and diesel where current efficiency is low.
    - won't increase NG demand excessively

For now I'd prefer efforts to be concentrated on encouraging EV and improving bio- and synthetic fuel production with the aim of a future mix of diesel and EV.

6. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really see burning NG in CHP plants as being much cleaner. That being said, why not do both?

In a hybrid, a CNG powered vehicle should hit over 50mpg, the Prius' battery isn't large, is it?

The basic infrastructure is there. In many markets there are already many CNG fast fill stations, adding a few here and there won't cost much.

If CNG prices rise, I'm ok with that. It's still cheaper than gas, and we're not feeding money to our enemies. At the very least, gas prices would plummet, more than offsetting any increase in CNG prices. This is the nature of a free market.

Money going into US pockets instead of the Middle East = Very, very good thing!

7. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems to me that weight and cost would be issues. For it's size the Prius is pretty heavy and a CNG tank would add a lot of weight and size and cost.
    Remember the CNG Civic is about 5 grand more than the normal Civic. I doubt that a CNG Prius can be done for less than the price of a Volt.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GM's CEO was on CNN for an interview last Sunday (Fareed Zacharia's show I think it was). He said that CNG/Gasoline flex fuel vehicles make sense for USA (since we have nat gas). Got the impression GM is working on that concept. Sounds good to me.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    200 + 13 = 213, not 350 to 400

You will get a minor improvement due to regen and start/stop in town.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Assuming similar tank size, you should see better-than-ICEV mileage. If it's a similar improvement over ICE, you might have a 333 + 13 = 346 for the 50mpge. 400 would be stretching it.

Cost and space issues combine to make it difficult, especially in an HEV.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) 'most' of the Prius MPG improvement is going from Otto Cycle to Atkinson cycle, no such change in the NG ICE.

2) Packaging will be a bear, if you need 13 miles of batteries AND a high pressure vessel for a 400 mile fuel tank, you could look like a 2 seat Suburban.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CHP is 75% efficient. Burning CNG for home heating is efficient: modern furnaces can be 97% efficient. Burning CNG in an ICE is not efficient.

The Prius battery is a good size and is in the rear underneath the spare. If you add a larger natural gas tank there is a space issue.

In some markets there are stations. In most markets there are not. In order to make NG usable everywhere you need an extensive infrastructure, especially given the reduced range per fill.

I believe you are mistaken. US and European petroleum consumption has peaked and yet global prices are still high. It's growing demand from other nations that's causing high global prices. Gas prices would still continue their inevitable rise.

You're also ignoring the fact that any rise in NG price would hit people hard in home heating and electricity rates.

Reduced imports is the only significant argument for a full shift to NG, but simply having more HEVs would achieve the same effect at a lower cost.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    NG is currently less than gasoline in part do to the fact that road taxes aren't applied to it.
    Those fees will be added in addition to the price increases do to demand if it goes mainstream.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind T Boone Picken's plan originally had the idea to convert cars to CNG. But the nat gas folks pointed out no infrastructure to support refills, so scope was narrowed to trucks. I would like to see move in this direction (as well as propane may have advantages). You can put propane in spare tire well, seen that in Europe.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like this one? It would be sweet as it would qualify in CA HOV lane.

The compressed natural gas tank takes the room of the spare tire so sorry, no PHV CNG HSD for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius with a CNG conversion would be a better "buy" or mod, than say upgrading to PHEV.
    - cheaper to convert
    - cheaper to run
    - clean burning

There was talk of using NG as a catalyst in a fuel cell for producing pure hydrogen on demand. I wonder where that is at.

It would be cool to place a small fuel cell, a 20lb tank, and have this "system" top off to full the Prius HV battery, in a similar way the Enginer.us system works.

I wonder what the trade-off would be, energy wise. NG to Amps would have a loss & generate heat. NG in the ICE would be more, or less, efficient?

God I wish fuel cells / fusion cells weren't the stuff of science-fiction.

17. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cost? The Civic GX is only $5k over the regular one, and there's a federal tax credit of about that much. As production volume goes up, the cost will go down. There are no exotic/rare earth materials here (like in large batteries).

Weight? The GX is 250lbs heavier than the regular sedan, heck, the Prius V is more of a difference in weight over the regular Prius.

Space? Yeah, if a vehicle is actually designed around the tank, it's not such a big problem. On the Civic GX it was an afterthought.

Yeah, a 350 mile range sounds pretty darned good. Especially when you start with a full tank of CNG every morning and never need to stop at a gas station unless you go over 350 miles in a day.

This really sounds pretty good. Never use foreign oil. Far lower emissions. Excellent range. Lower maintenance costs on the engine. Never have to go to a gas station again.

Sign me up. =]

18. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel Cells aren't science fiction. Honda has the FCX, Toyota has the FCHV, these are real, limited production, functional vehicles.

The only thing missing is the Hydrogen refueling station infrastructure (there are even fewer than the CNG fast fill stations).

But the technology is here and real. =]

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and expensive.

20. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is $21000 expensive?

That's how much the GX is after rebate.

Toss in the entire Prius system into the equation and the rebate should go up to $7500, which should easily keep my mythical vehicle under $30,000 in decent volume.