1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The permanent dust (paint on Mag. Grey prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, Aug 29, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I work at Alienware, and i park near the front since i get there early by a white metal fence.. this morning I was happy as yesterday I did my first car wash with my prius (see my signature for it's age and quality) and was glad to be in it. I parked and went along my day... get out for lunch and see otehrs looking at their cars, those parked near mine. And they say they got paint on their car... I look at mine and shrug... as I get close to the glass of my driver's side door i see what looks like dust... big deal I think... but then I look my car over and realize as I look at it very closely that this light light hard to see white dust was all over... and it was paint. Sprayed on paint which was supposed to go on the fence. the ground's keepers were out and they said in this sad look that they would pay for the damages and were sorry for what happened. Alienware was taking responsibility for their negligence (my words not his) and paying up whatever it cost, just show the recept, the end. THey asked if we wanted that or wanted them to get someone to clean them while we were working till we got out.. i said sure to the latter, as I rather not worry about it and hope to let it pass... it didn't.

To keep this long story short, they could not get it out, and now I have a fear that time (sun) will do more damage somehow by maknig it harder to get out and that I should do something soon. My father, who studied law, was at work when I asked him and he put me on the phone with his boss, a lawyer friend of his, who told me to give them a chance to fix this, and then after enough time if they hadn't, to contact my car insurance who WOULD take care of it.

Anyways, I'm here for this; For one I share with my prius community because you all are my family and understand me as a Prius driver (most miami drivers never even heard of the car, they are surprized at the specs and ideas I throw out about it).

I would like to find the best way to take care of this problem/situation. Money is no object since obviously Alienware is paying for it. What would you all say?

[For the curious, i'm a repair technician at alienware. They are a very high-end computer manufacturer with very expensive machines. I work warrenty upgrades and repairs.]

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, i've felt that pain before. :( go with claybar. we had an overspray incident too, a good thorough clay job did the trick. since i was reimbursed by the construction company, i don't remember what it cost at the detailers. something like $200 for clay and new coat of wax. i didn't like the wax they used. but that's beside the point. good luck!

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 29 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]503997[/snapback]</div>
    Claying should definitely get the overspray off/out. However, it may not be appropriate on new paint (paint may not have hardened sufficiently). An intermediate measure could be to use rubbing compound with water and a cotton cloth to remove the overspray. A good paint shop should be able to get the overspray off/out.

4. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aye, one of the opinions I got in person was clay bar, i'm surprized and gladded to hear it again. I heard if done wrong it can damage my clear coat, though I know little of damage to that or repair to it... Anything that works, and that sounds nice since it would 'clean' up the car and wax it up as well. Maybe it might end up better than before, even post wash (I didn't wax but it looked nice)

5. davek

davek New Member

YOU WORK AT ALIENWARE???

do you give our discounts to fellow prius drivers? haha.

I wanted to get an alienware laptop for college (last year) but it was kinda pricey for what I would get.

ended up with an HP that is OKAY... can't even handle CS source.

...D

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. Clay bar.

If they're picking up the tab have a good detailer do it. If they know it's paint overspray they should be able to get it off.

You can go through the trouble of claying the car yourself. Yes, you can clay the glass as well. If there is anything really tough you can use Meguiar's ScratchX. Follow the directions but don't let it dry. Take it off immediately and then go over it with spray detailer.

7. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davek @ Aug 29 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]504037[/snapback]</div>
    I can help you. All they give me is 10% employee discount, though. To be fair, their systems are for top of the line folks. If you wanna save a bit don't go with them. The best choice with them is all or none. They are now owned by dell (doesn't change a thing, just means it's a parent company is all) so go Dell if anything (anyone noticing how i'm walking on eggshells for this reply? yeah, alienware has search engines on their browsers too! Gotta watch what one says.) But seriously, dells are great, alienwares are for when you have an expensive appitite for monster systems. I fix them *all* so i'm around if you got any questions on cosmetics.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 29 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]504038[/snapback]</div>
    It seems this is the best option as after a quick google of 'overspray car' clar bar is widely shown. A friend is now telling me they should pay to repaint my car as clay bar won't remove it, or at best, it'll leave it smudgy.

Now I think I need to search for a good detailer. The '07 Nav isn't helping me just yet.. need a good name or som'in. :mellow:

8. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Talk with the others with damaged cars. The painting company has insurance and should reimburse everyone. Probably someone has already made contact to ask for repairs.

Have a detailing shop do the removal. If they screw up your paint, then both the detailer and painting company are on the hook to make the car right again.

9. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 29 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]504053[/snapback]</div>
    oh alienware already offered, so i just bring them the bill, so it seems.

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had this happen once to a Ford Ranger pickup. I was away on business and they decided to spray paint a water tower about two blocks away from where I lived at the time. White "dust" on blue clearcoat.

A good wash and waxing removed most of it, although the worst parts were on the rubber parts around the windows and on the flat black trim. I'm sure that a good detail shop should be able to get all the traces off.

11. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This happened at my work over the summer- they've been renovating and another girl and I both parked our cars out in the "back 40" of the parking lot, thinking they would be safe (my infiniti and her jag) but she ended up with overspray anyway. Her car was that Jaguar green, so it really showed up.

I believe she took it to the detailers, who did the clay, but ended up having Jaguar repaint the car for her all on the contractor's dime.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Whitespider, this is written on an Alienware laptop. Sorry to say my friend's Dell just crapped a motherboard. It would have been 3 years old in the middle of September.

IF you were stuck on your own I would also suggest the Meguirer's spray detailer/clay bar/ScratchX treatment as already recommended. However, since your employer has already assumed responsibility (and they are responsible) don't mess with the car. Find a local detailer. If there is a body shop in the area that specializes in custom or restoration work ask for their recommendation. Don't settle for anything less than perfect.

What kind of idiot sprays a fence when cars are parked next to it? It seems the contractor doesn't hire illegal aliens. Illegal aliens aren't that stupid.

After everything is corrected you should use the spray detailer & clay bar to keep the car shiny. I just took the clay bar to the Intrigue and she looks great.

13. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 29 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]504065[/snapback]</div>
    Aye, that's my concern too, those areas that are not window or paint.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lass @ Aug 29 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]504067[/snapback]</div>
    Aye, I have no problem repainting, I just think alienware would fight tooth and nail to avoid that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 29 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]504075[/snapback]</div>
    I am but a lowly servant of alien, Jim. My only reason for hoping for their graces is in knowing these sort of things show up on search engines.

As for the rest of the advice, I found that googling "overspray" seems to get some interesting results. I may need a little time to find just the right solution. Apparently there's treatments specifically for overspray better than clay bar, which will defiantely intrigue me if I can get it locally.

14. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Aug 29 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]504087[/snapback]</div>
    That's precisely why you don't want to do any of the work yourself; if it needs a repaint, nobody can say you screwed it up.

15. davek

davek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Aug 29 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]504047[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah i figured as such.

That super monster laptop that was $5k had me drooling. And seeing how my laptop is my desktop also... I wanted a nice computer (which I have) but it sure as hell doesn't have cool graphics and colors.

.....D

16. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davek @ Aug 30 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]504477[/snapback]</div>
    Update for all. I found a company (overspray.com) which is local and can take care of the mess, but they said there are parts of the car that cannot be 'cleaned' without being damaged or dulled, namely the rubber trims and parts like the black panel that connects to the windshield wipers at the bottom and parts of the side mirrors. All that needed to be replaced. The president of the company spoke to me personally and told me to take the prius to a toyota dealership with a detailshop and have it estimated for a hand wash without use of solvents, razor blades, or sandpaper to take out the overspray and an estimate for the parts that cannot be cleaned and labor and such, to make things even. This I would tehn take to work and show and tell them that is what would need to be done. This would obviously be over $1000 but it would be nessicary to have a perfect job. You can't get rid of someone with a two-month old prius with promises of the company contract 'fixing things up', no, this would be a perfect fix. If they refused I would call my insurance and make my claim. Insurance would jump up like cowboys and take care of buisness. I got pictures when I saw it after it happened and my recipt of the car wash for the day before the incident. Anywho i'm nervous out of my wits and have to wait till tomorrow to get the estimate at toyota. I got the address to an offical toyota detail/body shop to go to. After my estimate all will hopefully be well. In my nervousness home i dropped a large cup of slurpie into the left side of my driver's side upholstery and quickly pulled out to clean. I was almost home anyways so i just towel papered it and then used a carpet cleaner spray to get out the rest, hoping (since this was my first time usng the stuff) that all would be well after i vacuumed it when it was dry. I'm a total newbie, at all this, and i'm shaking like it's winter. Haha. :D