1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Power to Propel Uphill with Hybrid Synergy Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 1, 2008.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After doing this video, I am still surprised by what HSD can do.

I visited a friend who lives in NJ at an uphill area. I estimated the slope of the hill to be around 15 to 20 degrees. Initially, Prius accelerated (after right turn) to around 12 MPH and the gas engine RPM hovered around 1,700 RPM. Maintaining the speed required only about 1,500 RPM.

That RPM is awesomely low to propel 3,150 lbs Prius with occupants. Battery was either charging or not used. It is difficult to see on MFD since I skip it pretty fast.

I am adding a new video comparing my 2006 Prius to my friend's 1996 Civic. I did a much better job communicating the point to the viewers. Comparing and contrasting just highlights the "superiority" and technological advancement of the Hybrid Synergy Drive.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was it 15% to 20%, or 15 to 20 degrees? It can't be both, as they aren't the same pitch.

Tom

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a bridge in Olympia, over the tip of the Sound, that is a pretty good uphill climb. At 25 mph, I, occasionally, manage to "stealth" my way up to the first roundabout...

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fixed. 15 to 20 degrees.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've bitten my tongue all day...but I'm tired now so I'll say what I've been thinking....
    I don't get it. I don't know what you're trying to show. I don't know what impresses you. And I don't know what the purpose of the video is. clearly isn't not a terrible hill as there are all kinds of cars on it.

Find a hill that most other cars can't climb, or can't climb as quickly, or that lose power dramatically as they climb while the Prius sustains it's speed and video that and I guess you've got something. But this looks like a regular old steepish hill that any old car can climb and you're doing it at 15mph...if I were a Prius skeptic the first thing I'd say is "Look, the Prius can only go up that little hill at 15mph and that dude thinks it's great!"

Sorry man, I do appreciate your efforts to video document all things Prius, but this one I just don't quite get.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The focus is low RPM. Automatic transmission with torque converter will definately not be able to climb at ~1,500 RPM even at low ~10 MPH speed.

With manual transmission, engine will be reving high too due to the first gear ratio.

I was trying to show HSD can produce powerful thrust even with low gas engine RPM. Considering the ICE only produces 82 lbs-ft at peak propeling the 3,150 lbs vehicle uphill.... I find it amazing because not only the battery was not used to assist, it was even being charged at one time.

In summary, traditional "gear ratio" transmission requires the ICE to rev high RPM to produce high thrust. For HSD, ICE can rev at the RPM that produces enough power and route that power to the electric motor to output high thrust.

7. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jersey city?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea! You recognized that place!

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I added the second video that better demonstrates the point I was trying to make with the first video.