1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the Prius and water

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by silver-machine, Jun 23, 2007.

1. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here in normally sub tropical B) Sheffield UK, we are having quite a wet summer, with local flooding and standing water on a lot of the roads.

This got me thinking about the prius and water.

I know the manual says you should avoid driving the Prius in water, and I know that water and electricty don't mix. BUT how deep does water need to be before I need to turn my lovely prius around ?

2. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We are having flooding in Central Texas as well. I recently drove my through water that came to the bottom of the floor board. But, I drove SLOWLY. I personally would not drive mine in water any deeper than the bottom of the floor board. I wouldn't want to take a chance of water coming inside the car. Just remember, it's a car not a boat. :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    standing water...you'd probably be safe to 4", I'd be nervous over 3".

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wear rubber boots. ;)

Tom

5. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Prius loves water, I wash it every week.

6. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silver-machine @ Jun 23 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]466791[/snapback]</div>
    If I remember correctly, at least here in the US, every car has to be able to clear 6 inches (that's the legal limit due to speed bumps). That being said, you could probably take it to 10 inches and be "safe," but that would mean moving very, very, very slowly and in standing water only. If the water was moving it might be enough to dislodge and carry your prius away.

I am going to avoid opportunities like this, but let me know what the results are if you decide to test it.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jun 23 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]466828[/snapback]</div>
    Pay attention to the "NO WAKE" signs. If you are creating a wake, you are driving too fast. ;)

8. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    thanks for answers......Im absolutely cerain I wont be taking her into 10 inches of water - with the low clearance I think it would float away!

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silver-machine @ Jun 23 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]466791[/snapback]</div>
    Oi, we are also having a nasty summer here in Manitoba. Lot's of torrential rains, the road to my hobby farm was flooded again. Fortunately the new FJ can handle 14 inches of water crossing no problems.

As far as the Prius, open the bonnet and notice where the petrol motor air intake duct is routed. You might be surprised! A surprising number of new cars have odd locations for engine air intake, supposedly to get a "ram" effect at highway speeds.

I would certainly avoid water over 5 inches deep, and NEVER charge through water that deep either.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 23 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]467018[/snapback]</div>
    If it's not too far accross, you can try the ol' 90mph trick ... skimming accross ... but not if it's too choppy :D

11. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Last Friday I drove through some pretty scary stuff. I drove slowly and could hear it on the floorpan. A Corvette driver was not so lucky. At a stop sign not far from where the water receded, his car completely died and would not restart. He was also driving through the water too fast.

12. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know... but I'd assume the Prius high-voltage cables are waterproof. What if you drove into a canal or off a dock? Would you get electrocuted? That would be quite a liability for Toyota if that were the case.

13. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to me that the spray caused by driving on wet roads would be as much of a hazard -from the electrical standpoint- as from standing water driven through with care, and since the Prius is obviously designed to be capable of being driven in the wet, there's no reason to think it a problem to drive (carefully) through standing water as long as it's not too deep to cause the engine to bog down or the car to float away!

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Electrocution would not be an issue, assuming the electrical leakage detection circuits are working correctly. But if water does intrude into high-voltage areas, those same circuits will take your car offline. Thus I would expect it to be potentially slightly more sensitive than conventional gas only vehicles.

I have been in about 5 inches, and would not do much more, except by mistake. This is 'still water', and slowing down so as not to wash the engine compartment excessively.

In rapidly moving water, of essentially any depth, the rule would be 'don't do it'. Remember it's not just water and mud in there. Sticks and stones.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV cables that pass under the car are fully shielded. The main
    thing I'd worry about would be the motor-control connectors on the
    transaxle -- those lose their signal, and you go nowhere. Spring
    '06 brought a huge flood to my area; I managed to slosh through
    water up to the floorboards a little way into my neighborhood and
    then back out through the same stuff, because another part farther
    in was *much* deeper and I figured I'd drown everything if I tried
    it. But the up-to-the-hubs water didn't see to affect anything.
    That was coming home from the last totally-soaked Tour de Sol; it
    was quite a week...
    _H*

1 person likes this.
  16. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Apologies for reviving an old thread...

Today in the New York City area, we were hit with torrential thunderstorms and many of our roads were flooded. The police officer who was directing traffic waved for me to go through water that is scary deep. I REALLY didn't want to do it, but he was like, "move it unless you want a ticket for obstructing traffic!"

So I did, under protest. I was REALLY nervous, went as slow as I could (less than 4 mph), and my Prius seemed to be OK afterwards. The water was deep enough to cover half the wheel.

I am still really worried about potential water damage to my Prius, so I want to ask you pros what I should be looking for when I check my car tomorrow morning (it's night already by the time I got home).

Is there any special maintenance I should be doing after getting my Prius soaked like that?

Thanks in advanced for any tips.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you handled the situation well. If your car runs OK, then you should not have to worry at this time. No special maintenance is needed.

If in the near future you find that a wheel bearing has failed, that probably can be attributed to your driving through deep water.

18. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Personally, if I'm not comfortable with it the cop can kiss my a**. I'll take the ticket and beat it in court because he's not responsible for your vehicle. He's not going to pay your costs if he is wrong. A flooded vehicle is a bigger obstruction anyway. Besides, he's bluffing as he's got no time to be farting around with tickets while he's directing traffic.

Typically the authorities admonish you not to drive into water like that.

19. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agreed, though obviously not an option now. Justlurkin, I would at least write a tactfully worded letter to the police chief, copied to his boss(es) (mayor, town manager or council, whatever), and perhaps even copied to the local media.

20. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have herd of Prius'es (prii) going through water up to the middle of the door, no lie. The car (if being powered soley by electricty) can go through pretty deep water.