1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius c is Official: > 50 MPG City, 1.5-liter Engine, Pretty Colors

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just received word straight from Toyota's mouth about the upcoming Prius c, which will be officially revealed as the Aqua in Japan this week at the Tokyo Auto Show. The Prius c looks like it will bring MPG numbers that break past the 50 MPG number in the city, lots of technology that we've come to expect in the Prius line-up, and some funky colors.
    TORRANCE (Nov. 15, 2011) –Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., will offer a fuel-efficient hybrid at a more accessible price when the Prius c joins the Prius Family of vehicles in the spring of 2012. The U.S. debut of the Prius c will be next January at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. This highly anticipated subcompact member of the Prius Family will bring Toyota’s renowned Hybrid Synergy Drive® technology to a new segment of buyers when it joins the third-generation Prius Liftback hybrid vehicle, the versatile new Prius v midsize hybrid vehicle and the Prius Plug-in Hybrid model, which will also debut next spring. Positioned as an entry into the Prius Family appealing to youthful shoppers seeking fuel efficiency, technology, and spirited driving dynamics in the subcompact segment, the Prius c will offer:
    • Expected class-leading fuel economy better than 50 mpg in the city, which is the highest city mpg of any non-plug-in vehicle.
    • Proven hybrid technology, with 14 years of heritage, available at a more accessible price.
    • A high degree of convenience features and premium in-car electronics, uncommon in a five-door configuration, creating a less compromised compact-car experience
    As with other Prius models, Prius c combines its revolutionary Hybrid Synergy Drive® with excellent aerodynamics to achieve outstanding fuel efficiency. The new Prius c is unique in the Prius Family with a more youthful expression and a sportier dynamic character that offers a more fun-to-drive experience. The vehicle’s five-door format and flexible packaging will adapt to a broad range of owners’ needs. The Prius c offers an unexpected level of convenience, capability and technology in a compact hybrid-electric at an attractive price. Bluetooth® hands-free phone connectivity, steering-wheel audio controls, and nine airbags will be among the standard features on the 2012 Prius c. In addition,owners will enjoy a new dimension of connectivity courtesy of the available Toyota Entune™ multimedia system. Entune™ leverages the mobile smartphone to provide a richer in-vehicle infotainment experience with fully integrated access to navigation, entertainment, and information services. It allows users to connect with popular apps such as Bing™, OpenTable.com, and movietickets.com. Entune™ also provides access to real-time information services, such as live weather, traffic, fuel information (location and price), stocks, and sports. The Prius c also offers voice recognition, music streaming, and email/text to speech capabilities. Toyota Entune™ brings one of the largest selections of music options available to a vehicle, including iheartradio’s 750+ stations and Pandora® internet radio’s personalized music. In addition, the driver’s personal songs from portable media players and iPods (via USB or Bluetooth® audio streaming), and more than 170 stations from SiriusXM™ satellite radio are also available. Making premium technology available to compact-car shoppers, the Prius c offers superior fuel economy in a stylish, user-friendly package. # # # Prius Family Specifications
    Prius c
    Prius
    Prius v
    Prius Plug-in
    Length (in.)
    Width (in.
    Height (in.)
    Wheelbase (in.)
    Gasoline Engine
    1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder, 16–valve with VVT-i
    1.8-liter DOHC, four cylinder, 16-valve with VVT-i
    1.8-liter DOHC, four-cylinder, 16-valve with VVT-i
    1.8-liter DOHC, four-cylinder , 16-valve with VVT-i
    Emission Certification
    SULEV
    SULEV with AT-PZEV
    SULEV
    SULEV with AT-PZEV

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    How much better than 50 mpg? That is the question!
    My bet: >57 mpg in City Drive.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    'More than 50' MPG does not sound like close to 60. Ah well.
    I'm still delighted that Toyota is making a small hybrid, I look forward to checking it out.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The 'C' is a Prius with the end cut off. Fine
    The 1.5L from the G2 Prius is recycled. Fine
    No doubt NiMH traction battery. Fine

Outstanding question: what are the M/G sets ? If they are still G2 Prius sized then torque and regen will improve, and fuel economy too. If they are downsized then money might be saved, but I would not expect much better than G2 Prius numbers.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I thought the Prius "c" stood for coupe. What is that model going to be called?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It stands for whatever you want ;)
    I imagine it shorthand for 'city' (car)

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 door / 4 seat cars are not practical. I actually don't want to see a 2 door with the Prius name. A Scion name, ok, but not Prius.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess they are going to use that same awful steering wheel in every car they make now. :(

Sounds like smaller is not necessarily translating into significantly higher mpg, as predicted in some other threads. It will have to be significantly cheaper than reg Prius to be a success, otherwise, what's the point? Nice to have some electric colors for a change.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Scariest part of 'that' steering wheel is the limited range of adjustability. Some of the short and tallest people are going to get rooked. Hope they find a better part for 4th gen / 2016.

c does not have the Kammback shape. Cd will be higher. But, the point is, its city FE will slam any conventional car on the planet (as in 35 (Smart Car?) vs 56? Prius c). Maybe it's start at high 19k, still very tough to compete with Corolla / Yaris.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen3 is already >50mpg in the city. I'm sure it'll be better, and efficient for most, but I'll wait for the ecoboost Fiesta or Focus and diesel Cruze before buying.

12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I couldn't tell by looking at the stick shift, but is this a CVT or a 4/5 speed automatic transmission?

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it is HSD CVT but they ditched joystick in favor of conventional shifter (cost saving? complains?)

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm guessing that's a downside of having the Prius c be the Toyota Aqua in Japan (not a member of the Prius family). The joystick is only found in the Prius line of vehicles.

1 person likes this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is a sop to a more mainstream buying public. I'm willing to bet that the energy flow screen is buried, and there is no button on the steering wheel that shifts to the flow view.

In short, dumbed down for Merkins.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Among Lexus cars the joystick is in the CT 200h, but not the RX 400h.

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh...little disappointed.

I don't like what appears to be a relatively large bump when the seats are folded down. That can really be a pain when trying to load anything of size.

I'll also admit to being somewhat disappointed in the mileage. Of course 50+ for city is great by any standard, but being the smallest Prius I was hoping to be at 60 mpg.

A lot of the electronic options really don't matter too much to me.

Makes me think perhaps I should jump on a 2011 Prius II right now, as oppose to wait. If the difference in City mileage in less than 7 mpg...why not get the bigger vehicle with more storage/hauling space?

I'm guessing a well equipped Prius C will top 20,000 while right now a Prius II goes for around 23,000...

Also appears there are no "modes". Power, Eco, EV...

I'll have to give it some thought. Was really hoping for more luxurious options such as adjustable seats.

The electronic connectivity is nice, and probably going to become more and more standard in the future. But for me? It's simply not a priority in my automobile. I also feel that upgrading a HU is something that can usually be done relatively inexpensively aftermarket if something comes down the pike that makes me want to upgrade.

Might still be a success, if Toyota can keep the cost low enough. But I don't know if it might be advantageous to jump on a Prius II right now, while IT is still the entry level hybrid.

I'm a little disappointed in how the Prius c seems to be shaping up .

19. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where's the EPA ratings and pricing?

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.