1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius decision

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mvp1961, Apr 20, 2004.

1. mvp1961

mvp1961 New Member

My wife and I went out to test drive cars to replace our 93 Toyota Pickup (still going strong after 107K so we are in no hurry). We wanted to test drive the Prius, the regular Civic and the Corolla.

The main criterion was gas mileage. We weren't so hung up on price, but the Prius (pre test drive) was the car we coveted. Test drove the Civic--fine, nothing special, but certainly a solid commuter/2nd car. We then test drove the Prius--awesome! Loved the spaciousness, loved the projected gas mileage, loved the styling, loved the low low emissions, loved the ride.
    Then we test drove the Corolla--on accelerating, the Toyota engine sounded like a blender with ball bearings in it--awful noise. I've had Corollas before, but this one sounded like an Avis Buick with 12000 miles on it.
    So, we ordered the Prius and now we'll wait. Merry Christmas, we hope!?

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the world of Prius. You are not going to get an argument around these parts about your decision. You made a great one. Keep reading PriusChat and you will learn a lot about the car. Hopefully the wait won't get to you, but it seems that you are prepared for it.

Jeff

3. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Welcome to this insane world of prii veterans and owners to be.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never driven a Corolla, but as it's a Toyota, I'm very surprised by the noise you describe. I wonder if that unit wasn't defective.

Still, I sure think you made the right decision. I like mine a lot. Don't set your heart on those EPA mileage figures, though. It will exceed other cars, but not by as much as that.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have a corolla and its noise has been an issue for years. the noise stems from a usually unstable exhaust and muffler system...

in 7 years of ratings in Consumers Reports, the Corolla rated excellent in every category except exhaust systems where they rated anywhere from average to good.

i will say that the noise is hardly excessive. in fact its still much quieter than most older 4 bangers and much quieter than small trucks.