1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius Explosion Experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by claybird, Jun 12, 2006.

1. claybird

claybird New Member

Since I know at least a few of you thought this was amusing I thought I'd post a quick update to the website, including a short video clip of our brave Prius owner Paula -- to watch her video click on her head.....

http://www.cargoboom.com

We recently got a very generous donation to the site -- we're on our way!
    ...yes, you still need flash to view the site...

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Paula is the best part of your site. I'll bet $20 that she won't let you blow up her cute Prius.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My "Crush A Hummer" seemed like it would be more successful. I decided it would be pointless since GM would just make more.

Of course, now that they've ceased production...

Nate

4. claybird

claybird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jun 12 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]269974[/snapback]</div>
    I think you'd be surprised how UN-attached someone can get to their car when presented with a briefcase filled with $30K cash :)

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(claybird @ Jun 12 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]269985[/snapback]</div>
    I'd be happy to vouch for that with my Prius and a briefcase filled with 20K cash.

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They should take 30 seconds and educate themselves on the correct way to use a speed square.

7. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny site.

So, is $30K all it takes to get Paula's car? Why not buy a used car for $2K and blow that up?

8. claybird

claybird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jun 12 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]270035[/snapback]</div>
    Well, to be honest it's just not as funny to blow up a random used car. Something about watching a Prius fly off a ramp and explode is way more entertaining....at least to us....and as far as we know nobody has ever blown up a Prius. We need to break new ground in the field of car explosions.

Also, for those unable to view the site for whatever reason, here's the direct link to Paula's video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=P_reNaQArPA

9. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    stupid <_<

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bagwell @ Jun 12 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]270052[/snapback]</div>
    I have to agree with bagwell. Why don't you guys blow up something like a Hummer? Get one of those off the road is way better than getting a Prius off the road.

11. claybird

claybird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 12 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]270064[/snapback]</div>
    Oh come on, haven't you ever gone to a big budget Hollywood movie where they blow stuff up? This isn't about "getting a Prius off the road" it's about making a piece of entertainment. I'm more than willing to concede that people have vastly different ideas of what counts as "entertainment" though....

Plus Hummer's cost about twice as much....well, maybe except for that new H3....but that's no fun.....

12. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Something I'd really rather not experience, film version or otherwise. :blink:

13. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(claybird @ Jun 12 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]270074[/snapback]</div>
    First you mention big budget Hollywood movie, then you said Hummer cost about twice as much. Which side are you on?

As for entertainment, blowing up a Hummer would be much more entertaining. Imagine how much more "stuff" will be blown apart. With a gas tank three times the size of the Prius', you get a much better explosion too!

14. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i like the idea...
    but,
    it would be sweet if you stole a prius and then blow it up.

15. claybird

claybird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 12 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]270117[/snapback]</div>
    Well, mentioning the big budget Hollywood thing was just to say that people pay money all the time to see films where lots of things get blown up -- and greatly enjoy it. We want to make a *short* big budget movie.

And we're talking about spending $100K on this film, so clearly we're on the side of big budget. If we were Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer, or we had say, a studio funding us, we'd certainly think even bigger :)

Also, for the record we don't necessarily like Bay/Bruckheimer movies, but they definitely have a knack for making spectacles.

16. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(claybird @ Jun 12 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]270143[/snapback]</div>
    As we all know, it's not the explosions that make the movie. It's the plot. Maybe you should exercise your creativity a bit more and come up with a better story...

Imagine a Prius racing down a desert roadway, shot low to the ground near one of the front wheels...

- Cut to the speedometer in the Prius... the numbers climbing... climbing...
    - Cut to the Prius consumption screen showing 50 mpg... Car shaking a bit with the speed...
    - Cut to a view out the front window of the Prius showing a jump ramp rapidly approaching...
    - Cut to side view of an idling Hummer between two ramps. After a second, show (8 mpg) in parens at the bottom...
    - Cut to ramp view showing Prius closing fast...
    - Cut to slo-mo side view of Prius getting airborn over the Hummer. Mid-flight, the Hummer explodes.
    - Cut to open road on side of landing ramp, with Prius performing a skid turn and coming to a halt facing the camera.
    Underneath after a few seconds display text in parens: (Who says Hybrids aren't cool?)
    Slow fade.

Now that would be funny. I'll contribute $20 to that. I bet others on this site would too.

Peter.

17. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDad @ Jun 12 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]270155[/snapback]</div>
    Now THAT'S entertainment!

18. claybird

claybird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 12 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]270159[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's the spirit! Trust me, our goal is to make a short entertaining film -- including a plot. If you look on the site we even ask for story ideas from people just like you!

We have some ideas ourselves, but we'd like to make it an interactive process. But yes, of course we want to make the movie funny and entertaining -- it's not *just* an exploding Prius, it's what leads up to that that'll make it great.

Please send us something through the site (under 'Your Part') and maybe we'll use your idea! fun!

19. norval

norval New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(claybird @ Jun 12 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]269947[/snapback]</div>

I don't really get the 'Prius blown up thing' maybe cause I'm canadian who knows? Though I wouldn't have a problem with these guys blowing up hummers instead.
    blackzen

20. claybird

claybird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackzen @ Jun 12 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]270176[/snapback]</div>
    There's nothing really to "get" per se -- we just want to transform the Prius from a reliable, sensible, efficient vehicle into a full blown action star. Italian sports cars had their day in the sun, now let's let a thinking man's car have a little excitement.

What if one day you're getting chased down by some lunatic (maybe in a Hummer) and there's a slowly opening drawbridge ahead -- you might wonder if you can make it our not -- after you see our film you'll *know* for a fact that the Prius is begging for a chance to get airborne. You'll gun it, and with any luck land safely on the otherside.

So there's that....which is nice.