1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius on gravel with Nokian WR tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Oct 4, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, I admit I love to drive on little travelled gravel roads out in the middle of nowhere. But my Prius was really squirrelly on gravel, and I didn't want to get her dusty anyway so I was avoiding those roads.

Last week I got my Nokian WR tires (stock size 185/65-15R in 88H load/speed range). Inflated to 40/38 PSI. So today I went to visit a friend who happens to live off a gravel road. No longer squirrelly! Amazing difference. I guess that is all that was wrong, just garbage cheap tires (Goodyear Integrities). Do watch out though, the Nokian WR is a real rock storing and throwing tire. Nice deep tread!

Couple of observations on the tire change. Speedo still reads right on (GPS comparison). When they were mounting the tires I picked up a wheel (the stock one) to inspect the TPMS. I almost threw it in the air it was so light! Nice wheels!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 4 2007, 01:24 AM) [snapback]521032[/snapback]</div>
    I had a terrible time with the OEM tires and gravel. Down in Kentucky, where we rock climb, we had to unload the Prius and make running passes at the driveway to get up. It wasn't much fun. I'll be trying it again in a few weeks, but this time on different tires. I'll post the results.

Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know! Also, bad about the rock bit. I've always had rocks in my tyre treads so having a tyre that holds more rocks will be a pain cause it's either I live with the rocks making noise every time the tyre rotates or I pick them out one by one.

The stock rims are 14lbs each I believe.

4. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love my set of Nokian WR's and I will buy them again.