1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius: Post Sept. 30 Deadline

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Sep 17, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What do you guys think the pricing and availability of the Prius will turn out to be after the end of this month is gone? Many people of course are rushing and frantically trying to get their car in before the 30th in order to get the full tax credit. I'm not overly obsessed with getting the full credit; I am just happy to get myself a newer fuel-efficient vehicle for myself.

But, how do you think life after the deadline will be affected as far as being able to locate one? Do you think the demand will be the same, or would you expect a slight decrease in demand as well as their pricing.

I'm one of the few that will be getting mine well after the deadline, around November. I personally think that it will be alot easier to get a car in possibly shorter amount of time and the wait times wont be as bad. Maybe even a few select places may offer slightly less than MSRP. And since my model will most likely be a 2007 model im unsure of the tax credit at that time. What do you guys think?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A slight decrease?

3. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

It really depends on if people are just window shopping for a Prius, or if they actually go in to see it. The first time I checked it out, the wife and I looked at the Yaris, the Corrolla, the Prius, and the Camry Hybrid. We were really surprised how close the Prius was in size compared to the Camry Hybrid. Also, the Prius had more storage space.

The price is definitely an issue for most. The 3150 credit brings the price down and makes it less than the Camry Hybrid. Which is a big factor why I am buying one.

So, when the full credit is gone, sales are going to be fully dependant on gas prices and consumers wanting to drive a cleaner car.

Theorhetically, the combination of Toyota cranking out more Prius' and a decrease in demand should end the sales of Prius' at MSRP or above. So, people may be able to begin to negotiate prices.

4. Alco

Alco New Member

I just purchased a 2006 Prius & learned from chatting with the dealer that he would be receiving the first of the 2007's on October 1st.

So getting a car in November you would save the depreciation between now and then, AND you would be getting a 2007 and so save on more depreciation there. Whether or not that is equal to the $ 1575.00 difference in the tax credit, I don't know. You would also start saving on gas the sooner you get the car.

5. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I don't think it will change right away, I think there's a backlog of folks who will miss the deadline but will still be in the buy-it-now-before-it's-gone mindset that currently exists (because that's what you have to do if you want one now). I think there will be an appreciable change once the tax credit drops to 25% and other vehicles become more attractive price-wise. By then the Honda Civic Hybrid should have an appreciable price advantage.

6. mhellmer

mhellmer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Sep 17 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]320903[/snapback]</div>
    I would guess an slight increase in availability, in terms of shorter wait times.

I don't think I am typical, but without the tax credit I would probably not have bought. I have a personal issue with spending over $20K on a car and it took the tax credit and savinI'm sure there is some percent of others out there who used the tax credit as justification.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't recon much will change. The car sold like hotcakes prior to the credit, when it was only a deduction anyways.... I think that there will still be short supply and heavy demand.