1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius Problem

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by john1701a, Mar 2, 2007.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The disclosure of Al Gore's gluttonous energy use wasn't the only bit of bad timing for the "Green" Oscars. The Toyota Prius - one of the most revered icons in the Green church - was dealt an embarrassing blow on the eve of Hollywood's big weekend...

At just 48 mpg in the city - instead of its much ballyhooed 60 mpg - the expensive Prius (derided as the "Pious" by California non-believers) suddenly looks less fashionable...

http://info.detnews.com/weblog/index.cfm?blogid=9338

It's the same nonsense we've hearing a lot lately, but all nicely bundled up into a single weblog. We get the misrepresentation of real-world efficiency, ignoring of smog-related emissions, and the misleading of inventory & sales.

But the thing that captivates me more than anything is how they make it all about Prius. For some reason, none of the other hybrids are getting much attention. That's great! Camry-Hybrid can sneak in and become a very popular choice without many of those resisting change noticing. It won't take long before their fight reveals itself to be a futile endeavor.

So, I guess the title really is correct. There is a Prius problem... for them!

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I felt hate just by reading that.

I've been recording videos lately after getting my new camera so I can just link and let it speaks for itself.

I wish more Prius owner do this so public (non-owners) can see what it is really like to drive Prius. To see it from owner perspective and what it means to own one.

Haters and bashers can write all they want. A video is worth more 60 thousand words right (60 pics per second)?

Even if the bashers want to make their own Prius video, go ahead. We will be able to see how and under what circumstances they make the Prius look bad. Video speaks louder than text!

3. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Same old stuff we've been hearing for years. 12,000+ units sold in February shows just how much people pay attention to these things. Gas prices are skyrocketing here. Up to $2.599 most places and some even higher. 48 mpg is a lot better than 20 anytime. After 68,000 miles, I'll never go back!

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see any real problem with Prius bashers. Perhaps a percentage of potential buyers are turned off by the illogical ramblings of the emotionally blockaded, but that does not put the future of the car in danger. Toyota does a good business selling them. Beyond that lies the bigger problem of mass conversion to more fuel efficient cars. In my eyes that is a market-driven issue that will work itself out naturally. The harder people cling to their high-consumption vehicles, the more rapid the increase in fuel price. The cost of operating a guzzler becomes prohibitive faster (I admit, not the best thing for the economy) and conversion follows.

So let the bashers bash. It keeps them occupied with something foolish rather than being truly destructive.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "We fear change" - Garth Algar (Dana Carvey) from Wayne's World

Also, look at where the writer is coming from: Detroit Daily News? I'm sure he has no particular agenda. <_<

Our local gas prices have gone up $0.20 in the past three weeks, ranging from $2.80 - $3.00 for regular unleaded. I didn't buy it purely for the great gas mileage, but that was a big part of the decision. I don't think gas prices will drop in the long term.

One of my coworkers is now interested when the lease on his Highlander (non-hybrid) is up.

People will come around eventually.

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At just 48 mpg in the city

What other car can come close to that?

Gee, let me buy an SUV instead, and get a guaranteed 9 mpg in the city!

Harry

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Who really gives a crap? Let him drive what he wants. Not my problem if he can't afford to fill his tank. I don't have sympathy for anyone when they start whining "I can't afford to run my (insert name here) now that gas is $x/gallon." You should have thought about that BEFORE you bought it.

Once gas is uniformly $3/gallon watch all the pro Prius "news" stories come out again. ;)

On the other hand, put two Prius owners together and we tend to whine too. The winter weather is awful. My mpg went down to 48. Gas prices are outrageous. I spent $20 to fill my tank!

Now the advantage of the bladder becomes apparant. At $3/gallon one can't spend over $30 to fill it up. B)

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ridulous part is so many people WILL freak out over the "news" and attack the Prius and or Toyota without doing the math.

At high MPG numbers the actual monetary difference between 55mpg avg and 48mpg avg. is very small.

10,000 miles / 55mpg avg. x $3.00 per ga. = $545
    10,000 miles / 48mpg avg. x $3.00 per ga. = $625
    $80

10,000 miles / 20mpg avg. x $3.00 per ga. = $1500
    10,000 miles / 18mpg avg. x $3.00 per ga. = $1666
    $166

And that is using a 7mpg difference for the Prius and a 2mpg difference on say a truck.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Mar 2 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]399201[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for posting this, John. I'll just have to add it to the list of nonesense we all have to debunk. Personally, I try to take it for what it is: a blog. I accept blogs to be as factual as wikis. But I think you're right in noticing that other hybrids are not being singled out. In the first place, I believe it's because he finds it easy to swing at the leader. Secondly, I also hope that the other HSD hybrids start selling more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Mar 2 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]399218[/snapback]</div>
    Trust me, so do mileage charts. I'm pretty darned sure that once the new numbers are posted on the Prius, I'm going to still be smashing 60+MPG every summer!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Mar 2 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]399348[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. I had a guy at work ask me about the new numbers and the Prius ONLY getting in the high 40s. You hit my response right on the head.

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What problem? I'm seeing 57 MPG in my commuting, thank you Springtime! If our Prius was totalled or something (knock on wood) I'd buy another one tomorrow because I'd miss all the science fiction noises and touch screen.

11. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Geez, Henry, such outright hate. Is Dr. Phil in the house?

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, such a horrible problem that the Prius gets "only" 48mpg, when the vast majority of American cars get less than 20mpg. Who should be embarrassed about this?

Dave

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm back from the Milwaukee Auto Show where I spend most of the time manning the MilwaukeeHybridGroup both and - believe it or not - a little more than an hour working the Prius display. It's true! There were two Prii and I was working them both, answering questions and most likely selling cars.

It's okay, I spoke with one of the Toyota guys and they didn't have a problem with it.

Anyway, the people smart enough to be seriously interested in the Prius were smart enough to laugh at all the negative press. More than a few people asked how many blind people I'd hit. One guy asked about the lower of the mileage and I replied that my series of 60+MPG tanks will be even that much more impressive. There wasn't a single person who honestly and seriously believed any of the silliness they had heard or seen in the media.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen a few anti-hybrid Detroit News jobs before.

The writer failed to mention what all these European diesels get on the new EPA. They are not cleared for sale in the US, so they are not, but if you go back a few years, the old EPA had them well behind the Prius.

I'd like for clean diesels to make it to the US market soon, BTW.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol..

that's ok. Now more of us can say we beat (and in some cases, sorely beat) the EPA!!

and then those haters will say we're making numbers up cause there's no way it can reach 60mpg lol.

Don't forget, they said the same thing when Prius sales dipped b/c of the Camry Hybrid production.... (omg, Prius sales dipped, the public is losing interest).

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think I'm going to have to add an "EPA Estimate" to my spreadsheet now that I'll be beating it even more.

17. SanZan

SanZan Junior Member

18. jboaa

jboaa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 2 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]399366[/snapback]</div>

I agree. My father in law drove 11 hours to visit us. He drives a big Chevy truck. Needless to say, when he went with me and I filled up my Prius-he was in shock. Our previously "foolish" purchase, is now approved of by a man who I think would be up for a Prius purchase of his own. Of course, he had to see it to believe it. We haven't gotten below 46 mpg. But that was a short stint when it got really cold. The average lowest with winter was 48. And in the summer our average is 52. We test drove a Prius before we got ours, long story short, we ended up going out of state, and seen that the mpg just wasn't going to be 60. But we loved it enough to make the purchase anyway. We regularly travel from Alabama back to visit family in Indiana. That is why we made the decision with gas prices being so high to get a Prius. That and the fact that we are a green household for the most part. And we wanted to do better for the environment. I am super satisfied with our car. And my husband the skeptic is too. :rolleyes:

19. JamieS

JamieS New Member

How is a VW more affordable than a Prius? I somehow can't see that.

And if the Prius expected MPG drops, so will the other cars. It's all relative, right?

Henry Payne
    Political pigeonhole: Good government is less government

So we've got the anarchist cartoonist writing articles against the Prius. I'm voting unreliable.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jboaa @ Mar 14 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]405332[/snapback]</div>
    I love the Prius for cross country trips although I don't take many. I like the idea that I can drive to Dayton, OH before I NEED gas. (I stop to top off when I see the local gas is "cheap" to avoid unpleasant surprises.)