1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius Quotient

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chogan, May 6, 2007.

1. chogan

chogan New Member

I think I'm formulating a general theory that when I see an organization with a large fraction of Prii in the parking lot, it's probably going to be pretty well run and I'll like what they do or sell. Call the ratio of Prii to total vehciles the Prius Quotient. I'm even liberal enough to include other hybrids in the numerator.

What got me started is that, by my sampling, an average of 10% of the cars in the lot at my church are Prii. That slightly upward biased, as I count my own, but not by much. So, it's as if I've gravitated toward a bunch of like-minded people.

But what really drove this home is that my wife found this wonderful Italian restaurant nearby. We decided to go there for the second time on Saturday night. It's a small lot, we parked into a row of four Prii (including one gen 1), next to an HCH, and across from a Escape Hybrid. Definitely our kind of crowd. And probably the best Italian food I've ever eaten, yet reasonably priced (for around here anyway).

And the third observation is how rational the people on this board are. I never posted anywhere until I came here. I thought the whole internet was like this, until I looked at a few other boards. Wow, this place is nice.

So, there I am, 3 for 3 in my casual observations.

After dinner, my wife suggested we do a negative test of the Prius Quotient by crusing the lot at Hooters. Declined, but probably should eat there some time, just in the interest of good science.

Anway, that's clearly a small sample, but maybe not a totally idiotic concept. Put aside the smug factor, the self-serving nature of this. Maybe this is a good quick-and-dirty test for checking out a new business -- are the floors dirty, is the help surly, and am I the only Prius in the lot?

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ May 6 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]436553[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, that's too funny!! :lol: :lol: I think I may take on the Hooters challenge though. :D I can't even say i'm going for the wings anymore, since I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years

:D :D great idea though, check your PQ rather than IQ..... :D :D :D

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could be on to something. lol

The most Prii I have witnessed in a single business location was Google. I counted 20+ in the parking garage just within view while standing at my back bumper!

The food was great! Well, it was free so it was great no matter how it tasted. Since Google gives employee incentives to buy a hybrid the shear number of vehicles was understandable.

When I visited the Big Sur Marine Pollution Lab there were 4 Prii parked out front. I asked our guide if they were company cars and he told me that they were all personal vehicles and there were no incentives to purchase one. *Dept. of Fish and Game tree-huggers*

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I counter that where I work, there's a lot of Prius in the parking lot, but usually not due to people wanting to be environmentally safe and sound. The preponderance of BMWs previously is a factor.

However, I don't think my company is that well run. It's stable, has lots of money, has fingers in everybody's households, but so hell conservative they had to buy another company, recently, to restore a division that got axed due to those conservative MBA-type policies.

Much of the Prius seem to be there because of tax incentives. The company gets deductions for promoting (in CA), air quality related commuting, and giving incentives to employees such as ridesharing credits, Metro ticket subsidies, and such.

Since it's close to Hollywood, there's a "status-symbol" thing going on too. Maybe your theory is right on some aspects, but I disagree about a company doing it for long-term thinking.

5. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

Before I got my Prius, the Prius quotient where I park was approximately 0.0.

Come to think of it, that may explain a lot...

:)