1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Project - Or how to make a mess in record time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ooblick, Aug 10, 2014.

1. ooblick

ooblick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just about everyone knows what a 2007 Prius with Nav's panel looks like. But not everyone has had the pleasure of seeing the most amazing transformation that takes only a few tools and a bit of time.

The saga begins with the brilliant idea to replace the head unit with something more useful. Knowing that this would be rather time consuming, I didn't want to have to do it again anytime soon. After some research, I got a Kenwood DNX891HD, a PAC SWI-RC steering wheel control interface, a PAC TATO JBL interface, and all the Crutchfield supplied stuff.

The intrepid husband said that he would have no problem installing this stuff. However it wasn't long until the car looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now I wait, as the poor husband spent some time with the Oracle of Crutchfield, and got some advice. It remains to be seen as to whether I will be able to drive it tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ummm...hope you have another way to get where you're going tomorrow. :oops:

3. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pics of husband?

4. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aah, she'll be fine. Look at it this way he's half done! The anticipation is worth the wait. My bride would be having kittens as well if she seen this as well. I'm sure it looks overwhelming but in the end its all just nuts, bolt and some clips. Keep the faith.

5. ooblick

ooblick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yes, I will indeed be using other transportation to get to work tomorrow.[​IMG] ow. His. Moo ha haaaa! Ah, for those who wanted to see a picture of husband.... And he has made some progress

[​IMG]

ftl likes this.
  6. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't wait till he's finished. The sight of your precious Prius even gave me butterflies in the stomach - but indeed, let's have faith ;)

iPad ? HD

Britprius likes this.
  7. ooblick

ooblick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    during.jpg
    Almost there.....
    after.jpg

FINISHED!!!!

Trevor, ftl and Data Daedalus like this.
  8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh my!!! That looks absolutely amazing! Now that's an upgrade I wouldn't mind being installed in MY Prius Shuttlecraft....!!! Apart from the obvious change to all controls linked to the original JBL 6 CD Stereo unit, please specify; have you lost any of the other Prius Command / Control functionality? Do voice commands still work (Audio system commands excluded of course)? How about everything else? Can you at least control the volume from the steering wheel?
    That's so cool, it's "Sub-zero" :)

9. ooblick

ooblick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We are still in the process of testing, but here's what we have so far... the original nav still works. Everything seems to work except for the steering wheel telephone controls. We THINK that the voice commands still work, but since I never use them anyway, it's not my number one issue. Very happy that it's finished, and that I'll be able to try to stream music and stuff :)

We bought the Crutchfield kit and the steering wheel controls. When husband got stuck, Crutchfield was very helpful. Even the backup camera still works.

Now I have to figure out how to stream music from my iPhone :)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's what we're talking about! Nicely done sir!

11. ooblick

ooblick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The husband says thanks very much. He wasn't totally excited by my just ordering the pieces (partially based on suggestions from you guys, as well as from Crutchfield). I'm really happy.